What Makes A Metal Song "Epic" ?

Draehl

Lurker
May 31, 2004
Atlanta 'burbs
Well, I've got my own opinions on the subject, but even they are somewhat vague. I will say that epic doesn't necessarily have to mean the song is worth a damn. I've heard plenty of songs that have an epic feel, but I don't even like. Though even that point is up for debate.

One point I think most can agree on is that epic songs seem to be longer than your average. Beyond that? I'll leave my opinions for later in the thread.

IMO the main factor is as simple as chord progression. I personally like when those progressions are accompanied by synth but keys can also ruin a song when a band tries to be too epic. Key changes help a lot too, but there has always been epic music since classical music (and probably before that).

Obviously silly or shallow lyrics take away from or ruin an otherwise epic song, however light-hearted lyrics can work. I've always felt songs like "Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden" and "Sublime - Santeria" were epic songs, even though typically (and especially in metal) it's a trend that epic songs are dark. That's what leads me to believe it's heavily reliant on chord progression (although I may be on an island on those 2 songs =P).

I personally love songs (and concept albums) that progress towards an epic climax like a story. my examples would be "Agalloch - Hawthorne Passage (Or The Mantle in general), "Death and Resurrection of a Northern Son - Bathory" "And then there was silence - Blind Guardian" and "Stellar Dome - Borknagar." I'll stop there before I go through every letter in my itunes =P.

Iron Maiden's - Alexander the Great, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 7th Son of a 7th son, Phantom of the Opera, Mother Russia, To Tame a Land, are all Epic songs.

Blind Guardian's - And then there was Silence
Iced Earth has a bunch too

Edge of Sanity's - Crimson/Crimson II are Epic

Moonsorrow as a band are pretty fucking EPIC.

Symphony X - The Odyssey

I'll add a few I think are particularly epic. Leaving off more obscure stuff.

Iced Earth - The Coming Curse
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Dream Theater - Home
Metallica - MoP

I started a thread like this a while ago, if anyone's interested:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/general-metal-discussion/424545-epic-metal-debate-thread.html

Some of my favorite songs that I would classify as "epic:"

Primordial- As Rome Burns
Amorphis- I of Crimson Blood
Bathory- One Road to Asa Bay
Borknagar- Colossus
Candlemass- A Sorcerer's Pledge
Emperor- With Strength I Burn
Hollenthon- To Kingdom Come
Kalmah- The Groan of Wind
Kamelot- The Center of the Universe
Kiuas- And the North Star Cried
Limbonic Art- When Mind and Flesh Depart
Moonsorrow- Jumalten Kaupunki
Samael- The Cross
Skepticism- The Gallant Crow

...lots more. I'll list them later.

Puppets and Justice have a few songs (in addition to the title track on Puppets) that are at least somewhat epic. Before Puppets they were too thrashy, and after Justice they were too mainstream, but those two albums for whatever reason they hit on a recipe for epicness.

But I'm sure the merits of Metallica have been debated enough for all of eternity of the interwebs for us to discontinue this particular strain of discussion =P

Punching myself in the nuts would be more enjoyable than having to hear this song. Nothing epic about that pos.

haha I know it's weird to mention that song in this thread, but it has its own epic qualities, maybe just because it was released after the death of Brad Nowell - nah it rapes, like stellar dome!