Favorite Epic songs??

metal_wrath

I dip my forefinger...
Mar 20, 2006
...in the watery blood
What are your favorite Epic songs??

By "Epic" I mean songs that are longer than 5:00 i guess, and that have that "Epic" feel to them and are awe-inspiring. Also try to describe the parts of the song that make you go :OMG:

I would have to say Black Rose Immortal on Morningrise seems to fit the bill. What I like about this song, which I like about all "epic" Opeth tracks, is the instrumental interludes spaced throughout.

Cult of Luna - Dark City, Dead Man

just love the moods it encompasses, the phenomenal repeating motifs especially in the last 5 minutes of the song, the amazing walls of sound that make time seem to stand still. its a 15 minute track that seems like its 2. just a beautiful piece of music and that entire album for that matter

Rush - The Necromancer
Rush - The Fountain of Lamneth
Rush - 2112
Rush - Xanadu
Rush - Cygnus Books I and II
Rush - Jacob's Ladder

What makes me go :OMG: is the music.

Comus - Drip Drip
Arcturus - Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer
Opeth - In Mist/Advent/BWP
Primordial - Fallen to Ruin
The Strawbs - The Life Auction
VDGG - A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers

they are all at least vague stories and they are moving.

Agalloch - In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion

The way the song progresses yet continues to keep the same themes, and the track just seems to get better and better.

just for you m_w: SHIT THREAD! :D

nah, juuuust kidding ;)

so the one I can think of now would be: The Doors either 'The End' or 'When the music's over', the former for the wonderful build-up of tension and than a quiet down and the latter for the wonderful guitar (I think...) solo

Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness

Still one of my favorite 1-song albums. :worship:

P.s. there's tons of songs longer than 5:00, maybe you should change it to 7:00 or more, because that's when I start feeling a song is "epic". But hey, you don't need to listen to me. I am an idiot, after all.

Obviously one could name dozends of doom, black, viking, progressive etc. metal "epics" here, so I'll choose two songs from different genres for ya, namely:

1. Type O Negative - Unsuccesfully coping with the natural beauty of infidelity 12:39 - a bitter and hateful epic

2. Spock's Beard - The great nothing 27:01 - a truly beautiful epic

Cult of Luna - Crossing Over

one of their mellower songs but also one of their most moving.