Epic songs

theodyssey

Best Album of the Year
Dec 13, 2002
Olympia, WA
Visit site
Hey guys, I am back and I want to talk about epic songs. Not specifically symphony x songs per se and DEFINATELY not your favorite symx epic poll :lol:

While in germany I bought venom's 'At War with Satan' and have been digging on it. Now the question: what makes epics good and, well, epic? Many would say a big sound, but I bring up three of my favorite epics of all time as examples. Mercyful Fate's "satans fall" does more for me than Rediscovery, At War With Satan being more intriguing than Divine Wings of Tragedy, and opeth's Black rose Immortal is infinately better than the odyssey in my eyes.

Now, before you bitch, I am not trying to discount symphony x's work in any way, but the songs that are as raw and powerful as those I have cited hold their own to any orchestrated symx or dt epic ever written. Thoughts?

i think your wacked hehe j/k

i dont consider blackrose immortal an epic just because its long. besides that, opeth repeat some parts way too much though im not dissing them and i love them alot.
im just saying due to the complexity of other 'epics' it should not be in the same league

Divine Wings Of Tragedy said:
i think your wacked hehe j/k

i dont consider blackrose immortal an epic just because its long. besides that, opeth repeat some parts way too much though im not dissing them and i love them alot.
im just saying due to the complexity of other 'epics' it should not be in the same league

A lot of this is due to the fact that "epic" is open to individual interpretation. Despite the length, I consider it an epic because if you cut each of the number of repititions in half, it would still be quite lengthy (though not as powerful) as well as the music is the stuff epics are made of: good melodys, strong climax near the end, etc. I agree that most of opeths songs wouldn't necissarily be epic, but I think this one definitely is.

Black Rose Immortal, along with the rest of Morningrise, certainly qualifies as epic as far as I'm concerned, sure the songs wander a bit but they never really lose the sense of development needed to hold an epic together. Opeth's best epic composition in the traditional sense would have to be The Drapery Falls, the buildup in that track is pure brilliance.

My favorite epics are:

Stratovarius -Destiny, Visions
Rhapsody - The Dark Tower Of Abyss
Sonata Arctica - The Power Of One

To me a great epic song is that one that tries harder than the rest. Strong melody lines and a good theme (not just lyrics) along with powerful musicianship is what I think epic songs are about.

epic: a long narrative poem in a dignified style about the deeds of a hero or heroes.

I agree with Websters on this one.

I guess that's why Rhapsody always comes to mind when I think epic. Their music is epic in the powerful sense, with all that orchestration and junk going on. And we all know about the cheesy dragon-warrior lyrics. The Odyssey would then also be epic, and it happens to be my favorite.

i really don't think it has to be about a hero to be epic. i know that is the traditional sense of the word epic, but i don't think that pertains to metal, as that is much more limiting than metal is. besides, that was more for poems like the odyssey and stuff. case and point: Were rediscovery or divine wings of tragedy about a hero? are they epic?

Like i said, everyone has their own definition of "Epic" which makes it hard, but i think silent summed it up pretty well. Even if the chapters aren't spelled out in black and white in the booklet, you can still tell.

Something a little differrent but my fave song that goes over 20 mins is Everything Under the Sun by Extreme.....which was side III from III Sides to Every Story.....excellent orchestration,great vocal harmonies and the sweetest 3/4 solo ever by the once great Nuno Bettencourt.

As does Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick! THAT is one of the best epics EVER! If I had to make a list of the best epics, TaaB, The Odyssey, Light of Day, Divine Wings, ACoS, 6DoIT, and despite not ranking in the same league length-wise, And Then There was Silence by Blind Guardian!

Also, all of Pink Floyd - Animals (aside from Pigs on the wing) classifies as epic to me, as does Atom Heart Mother and Echoes! More classic epics

i guess Ayreon's stuff. sorta The Human Equation ... with the guy in the coma confronting his emotions about why he's there and how to get out, then he remembers he saw his wife and his best friend going at it, said "ah, screw this" and crashed himself into a tree. and to top it all off, his dad sucks.

no i absolutely love that cd and all of Arjen's work.:cool: But as far as an actual epic with heroes and whatnot, The Odyssey obviously comes out on top.