Favorite/Least Favorite Symphony X song

Favorite - After hearing "The Odyssey" live - hands down. plus its 25 mins - so pfft there.

Least Favorite - Savage Curtains - I never understood this song, is it supposed to be about a pair of curtains that runs around burninating everything? I just dont get it. plus the song itself isnt that great.

Favorite - Drat, I kinda hoped by typing favorite one would shoot to mind as a clear winner. I guess I have to say Out of the Ashes, though granted my favorite song changes a lot from day to day. Inferno has recently been making a lot of ground as one of the top contenders

Least Favorite - Pharoh, bores me to tears, Orion the Hunter really bugs me too because the prechorus is really really good and then the chorus becomes a huge let down in comparison

I'm surprised Whispers has been getting votes as least fav, I think that song is phenominal, as is a great deal of the material on Damnation Game.

awakenings is definately one of my fav's. i dont really have a not favorite song by them, im gonna say savage curtain. i really dont get the whole killer curtain thing, it doesnt seem SX enough, w/e i like the music to it though.

My favorite is definitely a neverending lightsaber tie between "The Edge Of Forever" and "A Winter's Dream". The melodies are just too good on those gems.

The only Russ era song that I don't particularly care for is "Secrets".
Although it is not particularly great, I don't dislike the "Witching Hour".

And "Pharaoh" is fucking great!

My new favorite (replacing TDWOT) is Rediscovery I & II. I count them both as one song. I love part I and part II is just incredible! My all time favorite part is the segment at just about 6:00 mins. where it comes out of the slow section into that off time part. And then the end section where Russ sings "Again the Titans clash, on the edge of this Earthern plane..." I could listen to this song every day for the rest of my life and I don't think I'd get tired of it!

My least favorite is probably "Secrets" as the chorus is really dreary and lifeless. The solo section is cool though.

And why all the bashing of "Savage Curtain", "Witching Hour" and "Pharaoh"? "Savage Curtain" has one of MJR's coolest solos and the intro riff is great! "Witching Hour" is a little thin but the chugging in the solo, as well as the solo, is cool as hell. And "Pharaoh" is just awesome! The riff under the chorus is cool as hell as is the lyrics. And Russ screaming "Desecrators of Raaaaaaaaaaa!" actually sends chills up my spine. Of these 3 I would say I like WH the least, but they're all still good/great songs.

scanner313 said:
My new favorite (replacing TDWOT) is Rediscovery I & II. I count them both as one song. I love part I and part II is just incredible! My all time favorite part is the segment at just about 6:00 mins. where it comes out of the slow section into that off time part. And then the end section where Russ sings "Again the Titans clash, on the edge of this Earthern plane..." I could listen to this song every day for the rest of my life and I don't think I'd get tired of it!

EXCELLENT choice! Rediscovery is one of Symphony X's most powerful compositions... that epic is so underappreciated on this forum.

ProgMetalFan said:
EXCELLENT choice! Rediscovery is one of Symphony X's most powerful compositions... that epic is so underappreciated on this forum.

I second that motion! The more I listened to V, it slowly dawned on me how together that song is. Definitly a masterpiece, and what a fantastic conclusion to V! That album is so epic and the Rediscovery songs bring such a great conclusion.

While on that topic, does anyone else get goosebumps from the very last little cello (I assume) part on the album that takes the conclusion and gives it that last feeling of mystery and unresolve? I've been on so many rants to people about how brilliant those 4 notes are.

Does anyone else here hate the part in The Damnation Game (The song) where Russel goes "Damn, damn, damn, NATION GAME! damn....damn....damn...damn"? :err:

The Damnation Game rules! One of Symphony X's most challenging songs to play.

Favorites: Edge of Forever, DWOT, Odyssey.. but putting the obvious aside: Church of the Machine, Fallen, A Fool's Paradise, The Turning, Awakenings, Eyes of Medusa

Least Favorites: Orion the Hunter, Most of the second half of the Damnation Game (other than A Winter's Dream), Wicked, The Witching Hour, not that I don't like the songs, they blow any other band's songs away. Just not up to Symphony X standards I think.

favorite - the accolade II
least favorite- accolade I, pretty much cause i heard the second one first and its just weird to here a similar song that sounds totally different,