On The Breath of Possieden
The Edge of Forever
Pharoah
DWOT
Out of the Ashes
Winters Dream I&II
Masquerade (Allen Version)
Welcome to the forum. Nice list :)

Could someone point me to a few tracks on V that stand out by Symphony X standards ? I know its good and all but I cant figure out why for quite a few it stands out as their best work.

Could someone point me to a few tracks on V that stand out by Symphony X standards ? I know its good and all but I cant figure out why for quite a few it stands out as their best work.

Prelude
Evolution (The Grand Design)
Fallen
Transcendence (Segue)
Communion and the Oracle
The Bird-Serpent War/Cataclysm
On the Breath of Poseidon (Segue)
Egypt
The Death of Balance/Lacrymosa
Absence of Light
A Fool's Paradise
Rediscovery (Segue)
Rediscovery, Pt. 2: The New Mythology

Prelude
Evolution (The Grand Design)
Fallen
Transcendence (Segue)
Communion and the Oracle
The Bird-Serpent War/Cataclysm
On the Breath of Poseidon (Segue)
Egypt
The Death of Balance/Lacrymosa
Absence of Light
A Fool's Paradise
Rediscovery (Segue)
Rediscovery, Pt. 2: The New Mythology

:lol: dick

I think the majority would agree that the following are pretty strong:

Evolution
Fallen
Communion and the Oracle
Egypt
Rediscovery pt. II

Of course, it probably stands out as their "best work" to those who feel that it flows seamlessly, and really has no filler moments.

I almost hate Evolution.

Almost.

It's the chorus really.

For me the best moments of V are Fallen, Communion, Egypt and The Death of Balance.

OK so I put V back in last night and paid "the fuck attention". Yes V is a most awesome total piece of work. What I think my problem was most of my music listening takes place in my shop as background music.

V is very symphonic, very "concept", very classical in composition value, very much what I used to call "head music"... NOT shop work music. To fully grasp The New Mythology Suite I believe you need to kick back and take the trip, doing so I was glad I didnt do it with head phones on, I may very well have OD'd.

I started taking notes but gave up as I became more overwhelmed with the brilliance of the entire adventure and knew notes were pointless.

What I would say is that it does have a more laid back nature but is awesomely deep in the process. Russel voice is more on his clean side and when he does get course it is still less than one might have been previously accustomed too.

One note I did make was that when I first got into these guys I found it hard to believe that it was one vocalist and even did a double check and search. The various vocal voicings that he uses so often sound like "somebody else" and that stands out big time on this recording. As was mentioned in the other topic his range and on more than one particular song is amazing. I also dont find any issues with the vocal "levels" in the mix, I believe its just the atmosphere of this entire piece that throws those such as myself from "getting it".

So while Divine Wings of Tragedy will undoubtedly remain my favorite for its intial impact, The New Mythology Suite finally sank home and blew my mind. I'm glad I finally got the house stereo system back up and crankin. So tonight Im going for the headphones... I might not be back.... :headbang:

I think Fallen is really underrated sometimes, though - I greatly prefer it to Evolution, and sometimes even Egypt. Also, I think we can all agree that Absence of Light and A Fool's Paradise need to be worked into future live performances; these songs are criminally underrated. Absence of Light is so groovy, and would be great live if they could only figure out how to do the backing vocals.

I think we can all agree that Absence of Light and A Fool's Paradise need to be worked into future live performances; these songs are criminally underrated. Absence of Light is so groovy.

Agreed, while Absense and Paradise are not my fav from V if compared to Fallen, but imo they are the best to things on the album 2nd to V, because if anything there catchy and damn good :) (I know bunch will disagree about them being 2nd to Fallen of the album) :p

Revelation
Paradise Lost
The Accolade (I and II)
Divine Wings Of Tragedy
The Odyssey
The Edge Of Forever
Rediscovery (Part 2)
Smoke And Mirrors
Eve Of Seduction
Fallen
Communion And The Oracle

And the list goes on. Every time I want to end it I convince myself of another song that deserves to be on there. Also that's not necessarily in order, but it's roughly the order they came to mind.

DWOT and The Odyssey are probably the best songs, but I always think it's a bit of an unfair competition between 20 minute + epics with regular (if still quite long) songs. The Edge Of Forever or Revelation could be my favourite excluding those two.

It's hard to choose a favourite album - the epic title tracks plus The Accolades make DWOT and The Odyssey great, but the rest of the songs are outcompeted by V and Paradise Lost imo.

Anyway on the subject of V, Rediscovery and Egypt are epic and are all round brilliant, Communion and The Oracle is just beautiful and Fallen is a great heavy song with an awesome chorus. I'd have to agree about Evolution - the chorus kind of ruins it for me, so I don't see why it's often considered about the best song on V.