Concerts Setlist - Paradise Lost Tour

I think when bands do good covers, they're perfectly enjoyable. Unfortunately, I think the KSE version of "Holy Diver" is just as cheesy as the original. Heaviness doesn't take away cheesiness necessarily. Also, Howard's voice doesn't fit the song well.

As for Symphony X. I'm going to the Nokia Theater show, and I may be the only one on here who really doesn't enjoy "Through the Looking Glass." I think out of all their longer songs, it's the worst (maybe second to A Winter's Dream). Personally, I'd much rather hear Egypt or anything else off of V...Absence of Light would be a better choice since it's longer than Egypt (I think). It'd be cool if they rotated TtLG (for all you who want to hear it), Absence of Light, and Edge of Forever (my favorite SymphX song...I know I'm weird).

Walls of Babylon? Do we really need more material off of Paradise Lost? Unless they put Walls in over Domination/Serpent's Kiss, they should keep it out. And people should stop talking about them taking out all the regulars. It won't happen. Yes, those of us who have seen Symphony X are tired of Sea of Lies, Inferno, Smoke and Mirrors, etc but imagine going to seem them live for the first time and hearing those staple songs...you'd be severely disappointed if you didn't hear them. It'd be like seeing Maiden and not hearing 2 Minutes to Midnight.

As for Symphony X. I'm going to the Nokia Theater show, and I may be the only one on here who really doesn't enjoy "Through the Looking Glass." I think out of all their longer songs, it's the worst (maybe second to A Winter's Dream).

It'd be cool if they rotated TtLG (for all you who want to hear it), Absence of Light, and Edge of Forever (my favorite SymphX song...I know I'm weird).

It'd be like seeing Maiden and not hearing 2 Minutes to Midnight.

Uh, I don't get that opinion, but you are welcome to it. What don't you like about TtLG?

Edge of Forever, you won't be hearing. Ask rocky_raccoon about it :p

But on that same token, Maiden has so many songs of that stature that if that became the normal mindset, you could say: "It would be like going to see Maiden and not hearing The Trooper, Wrathchild, Iron Maiden, Run to the Hills, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Number of the Beast, Aces High, or The Evil That Men Do!"

And then, well, you're left with every Maiden setlist of the past 10 years. :loco:

But on that same token, Maiden has so many songs of that stature that if that became the normal mindset, you could say: "It would be like going to see Maiden and not hearing The Trooper, Wrathchild, Iron Maiden, Run to the Hills, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Number of the Beast, Aces High, or The Evil That Men Do!"

Exactly. Symphony X doesn't have "greatest hits" like Maiden does, and they shouldn't have to play certain songs at every performance. I'm sure that two or three of the songs from PL will become staples, and eventually, the band will have no variety in their set because it'll be all "staples" (just like Maiden usually does). I say if you have, e.g., six "staple" songs, play three each night and swap them around randomly. It's not like they'd have to re-learn them for every tour, since they're probably engrained in their minds by now. This frees up more set time for lesser-played gems AND allows the new fans to still hear a variety of Inferno, Of Sins and Shadows, Smoke and Mirrors, Sea of Lies, and Evolution, etc...

well I'm not saying I'm against them taking some of the staples out, I'm just pointing out that it's highly unlikely for them to do that. They don't have a "greatest hits cd" yet but if they did, we can all probably guess exactly what would be on it.

I think TtLG is a little boring, personally. Not bad, by any means, but boring. And I know they won't be playing Edge of Forever (though I'm curious about what you mentioned), but I think I might orgasm four times consecutively if they did.

And I know they won't be playing Edge of Forever (though I'm curious about what you mentioned), but I think I might orgasm four times consecutively if they did.

Well, at the last show at the Pearl Room in Mokena, rocky spent about two hours "asking" each member of the band why they "don't play the song that they named their website and live album after".

The response from most members was "oh, yeah...I dunno...why don't we do that?" and then they pawned the question to another member while the disappeared into the tour bus. Lepond sounded like he'd be interested in playing tEoF, but Rullo got a little annoyed and said that putting a song like that in would change the flow of the setlist, and then they would have to lose one of the newer songs that they are trying to promote.

Russell, meanwhile, simply said "that album was recorded in like a week, I got thrown into the situation, and compared to every other album Damnnation Game has sold absolutely the lowest amount by a long shot." He even did a "how high" description with his hands.

So, I doubt you'll be hearing it. Sorry. I'd like to hear it too. :erk:

Fallen! Fallen! Fallen! It was the first SX song I ever heard and it is still my favorite. It rocks and LIVE it would be KILLER. Please, Fallen at Atlanta May 1st!!! Pinella rocks on Fallen, Allen, rocks on Fallen, etc. they ALL ROCK on Fallen!!

Well, at the last show at the Pearl Room in Mokena, rocky spent about two hours "asking" each member of the band why they "don't play the song that they named their website and live album after".

For one, they didn't name the site that, their then-webmaster Pedro did. ;)

The response from most members was "oh, yeah...I dunno...why don't we do that?" and then they pawned the question to another member while the disappeared into the tour bus. Lepond sounded like he'd be interested in playing tEoF, but Rullo got a little annoyed and said that putting a song like that in would change the flow of the setlist, and then they would have to lose one of the newer songs that they are trying to promote.

Russell, meanwhile, simply said "that album was recorded in like a week, I got thrown into the situation, and compared to every other album Damnnation Game has sold absolutely the lowest amount by a long shot." He even did a "how high" description with his hands.

So, I doubt you'll be hearing it. Sorry. I'd like to hear it too. :erk:

It also has a lot to do with the tempo & sound of the other songs on the setlist. MJR & I talked for a long time about song choices after the setlist poll, and it was interesting to hear all of the factors that go into a song being considered for the setlist, much of it stuff that we'd never give a second thought.

That said, I don't know that it'll never ever be played again; I sure hope not, cuz I'd love to see them do it live again.

There is a lot. From personal experience (sorry, not hijacking the thread, just illustrating the point), there's one song i've been really, really pushing to remove from the setlist. It's a pretty cool-ass song, but the way it's structured and the way the rhythm goes, i cannot headbang. I can do nothing but stand there if i want to play the song even close to accurate. For some reason, this isn't the case with crazy fills on other songs or even just the songs themselves. Just one example, but there's stuff that when you listen to songs you just don't think about.

Exactly, Zach..it's a totally different method of thought from the performing end than it is from the listening end.

There is a lot. From personal experience (sorry, not hijacking the thread, just illustrating the point), there's one song i've been really, really pushing to remove from the setlist. It's a pretty cool-ass song, but the way it's structured and the way the rhythm goes, i cannot headbang. I can do nothing but stand there if i want to play the song even close to accurate. For some reason, this isn't the case with crazy fills on other songs or even just the songs themselves. Just one example, but there's stuff that when you listen to songs you just don't think about.

Inferno?

For one, they didn't name the site that, their then-webmaster Pedro did. ;)

It also has a lot to do with the tempo & sound of the other songs on the setlist. MJR & I talked for a long time about song choices after the setlist poll, and it was interesting to hear all of the factors that go into a song being considered for the setlist, much of it stuff that we'd never give a second thought.

That said, I don't know that it'll never ever be played again; I sure hope not, cuz I'd love to see them do it live again.

Oh no, I completely understand. Arrangement of a setlist is a key factor, just like the arrangement of an album. I completely understand the reasons behind why they play what they play, even if I am occasionally wishing to hear this or that.

Rullo had a very reasonable explanation as to why they wouldn't play something like TEoF, and I get that. Some people don't. :loco:

But yeah, hopefully we'll get to hear it someday!

I think he was talking about a Skelator (his band) song. :)

About The Edge of Forever Live, I think that as great of a song it is, it's really a song more for just sitting and listening to. It drags on and repeats just a wee bit too much to be played live in my opinion. If it was recorded recently instead of 13 years ago, after seeing what Romeo's setup in The Dungeon is really like, it would probably be more of a super ridiculous mega "Let's see how awesome I am with ProTools" project. But that's just me.

I think he was talking about a Skelator (his band) song. :)

Haha, I thought something was odd about what he said. That being said, last time I saw them, I thought Inferno sounded a little awkward live.

About The Edge of Forever Live, I think that as great of a song it is, it's really a song more for just sitting and listening to. It drags on and repeats just a wee bit too much to be played live in my opinion. If it was recorded recently instead of 13 years ago, after seeing what Romeo's setup in The Dungeon is really like, it would probably be more of a super ridiculous mega "Let's see how awesome I am with ProTools" project. But that's just me.

I agree. The band even said that it didn't translate very well live the one time they played it (one of the ProgPowers).

Candlelight Fantasia is one song I'd like to hear live, but someone here mentioned at one point why MJR said they don't play that one in particular. Didn't it have something to do with some guitar parts not suited for live arrangement? Does anyone remember?