Whats your favorite Symphony X album?

What is your favorite Symphony X album mate?

• Iconoclast

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Symphony X

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • V: The New Mythology Suite

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Twilight in Olympus

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • The Odyessey

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • The Damnation Game

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Paradise Lost

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
I think maybe we are underestimating the power of the mid-life crisis. Mike and Russ are firmly in their 40's and I feel like things can get dicey for even normal folk during that time let alone people who make their living in the public eye. It probably feels like you're an angsty teenager again who has no idea who they really are in life and just try to do everything they can to fit in.

If you have some personal affection for one of the other albums, fine, but V is clearly their strongest. I don't think there's even really a difficult decision to be made. It's just obviously the best.

Agreed. V is their best. But if favourite is the word, i also include TDWOT. And as for listenability, Iconoclast is also superb. I never get tired of listening to it. It is not as coherent and flowing, but it is always great to listen to.

Personally, yes, I will acknowledge V to be their strongest. Twilight was the first I heard, so it remains my favorite; even through the abundant, shameless cheese e.g. "Bow Dooowwnnn..." :D

A bands best work doesnt have to be your favorite.

It's interesting that V is pretty-much always picked as the favorite album by fans (though, admittedly the sample is pretty low in this poll) and yet it seems like we'll never be treated to that kind of album again. The last two were almost the opposite of V. Obviously they're making the kind of music they want to make and fans be damned, but that kind of attitude could mean working at 7-11 vs making a really good living at this. I'm not sure what the motivation is here. Or .... perhaps more people buying their albums and going to their shows prefer the direction they've taken and just aren't voting in these polls?!

It's interesting that V is pretty-much always picked as the favorite album by fans (though, admittedly the sample is pretty low in this poll) and yet it seems like we'll never be treated to that kind of album again. The last two were almost the opposite of V. Obviously they're making the kind of music they want to make and fans be damned, but that kind of attitude could mean working at 7-11 vs making a really good living at this. I'm not sure what the motivation is here. Or .... perhaps more people buying their albums and going to their shows prefer the direction they've taken and just aren't voting in these polls?!

The impression I get is that the few people on this board are slightly older and more fans of classic metal and prog rock/metal than more modern mainstream metal. That and the board generally is irrelevant and behind the times, since it's not really even in use and message boards generally are a dying medium, much like Symphony X's original fanbase, which has largely been replaced. I get the impression that most people in the same 'club' as the people here have moved on to other things and make up a small minority of who the band appeals to.

PL and IC sold way better than any of their previous efforts obviously.

lol...wishmaster the dark...
2848560-WISHMASTER.jpg

quote from wishmasterthedark's profile: "I like perfect Heavy Metal artists only. No time for very good, mediocre or bad music." :erk:

:lol:

This made me actually spit out my iced team, haha. I love guys like this - thinking music is a science rather than an art.

And honestly? The number of awesome one-liners in this review are astounding.

"It seems that all of them didn't have will to live..."

"... that's the art of trolling"

And my personal favorite: "They even surpassed Stratovarius and some other bands with melodic approach which abuse keyboards.":lol:

Hi everybody, first poster here. To introduce myself, here's my ranking of SX's albums (I also voted in the poll), and my reasoning behind it:

1. V: The New Mythology Suite
2. The Divine Wings of Tragedy
3. The Odyssey
4. Twilight in Olympus
5. Iconoclast
6. Paradise Lost
7. The Damnation Game
8. Symphony X

Slots 1/2: absolutely no doubt here. V not only stars some of the band's best and most diverse individual songs ("Evolution", "Fallen", "Communion and the Oracle", "Absence of Light", "A Fool's Paradise"); the interludes and flawless transitions elevate V from a mere gallery of songs to an hour-long otherworldly musical epic. The Divine Wings of Tragedy, by contrast, is a work by mortal beings, but it does reach divine heights on the title track, and the rest of the album is solid (especially "Sea of Lies", "Out of the Ashes").

Slots 3/4: a hard call. The Odyssey has two outstanding songs ("Accolade II", "The Odyssey") and several throwaway tracks. Twilight in Olympus doesn't quite have the same edge to it, but it's far more consistent, and "Smoke And Mirrors" is perhaps SX's best neoclassical piece. All things considered, the title track of The Odyssey earns the victory though. It would be an injustice to Odysseus to put it outside the top three.

Slots 5/6: also a hard call. Both albums have stellar title tracks and a bunch of other tracks that range from good to forgettable. Iconoclast is perhaps a little stronger overall; the songs may all sound the same, but it's a good sound when I'm in the mood for it.

Slots 7/8: no doubt here. The Damnation Game has a couple of decent songs, but that's about it. The self-titled album is dull, made worse by the singer.

Hi Gaussian, welcome. My first 3 would probably be the same. 4 and 5 are also the same, but not sure which one would be the 4'th and which the 5'th. I would put The Damnation Game to 6'th, for the sake of The Edge of Forever and A Winter's Dream (Prelude). (Agreed that more than half of the songs are not decent.). Paradise Lost is a very consistent and solid album, but not very listenable to me for some reasons. I like listening to the self titled from time to time (once in 3 years or so).

HOW DARE YOU!? The Damnation Game wipes the floor with the Odyssey, as does Twilight! (As they both do with IC, as well)

Haha but your entitled to your own opinion ;) Just like I am.

....Oh, and welcome!

Ha ha :)

To be fair, DG is not at all a bad album. The main reason I don't hesitate to place it near the bottom is that the musical ideas in the "few decent songs" on it were executed better in later albums. For example, The Accolade is a better take on The Edge Of Forever -- not that you can exactly match two songs that way, but you get the idea. But DG also has its moments, and I could be persuaded to rate it above PL, which I actually agree is "not very listenable for some reasons" (PL is an album that I pick tracks from, not listen to from start to end).

Perhaps I will think higher of DG in a year. TIO took a really long time to grow on me.

I like the first 3 songs of TDG very much. It is a unique album, but after the 3'rd song, it loses focus and flow. A Winter's Dream (prologue) is awesomely enchanting, and the Ascension is a dynamic and interesting progressive song that has some great moments. But as for SX standards, it is the only "not great or fantastic" album closer in their discography IMO.

Updated official power rankings

V > DWoT > TiO = DG > SX = Odyssey > PL > IC

Close^
For me...
TIO>V>DWoT>DG>SX>Odyssey>PL>IC
Twilight was the first of theirs I heard, it will always be my favorite. That said, I acknowledge V to be the stronger album. (Because it IS Twilight...mostly)