Whats your favorite Symphony X album?

What is your favorite Symphony X album mate?

• Iconoclast

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Symphony X

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • V: The New Mythology Suite

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Twilight in Olympus

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • The Odyessey

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • The Damnation Game

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Paradise Lost

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

Yain

New Metal Member
Sep 11, 2013
Jerusalem, Israel.
Hey mates. Im curious to know.......whats your favorite symphony x album eh?

personally, my favorite would be Symphony X. That album is really good and memorable. Very unique in many ways, although I enjoy all of the albums equally.

what about you?

The self-titled debut is your favourite album?? Have you heard the other ones? :p

My choice is easy as pie. I vote, of course, for V :worship:

There's too much to say about why this is my all time favourite album.

The Odyssey (spell check...)

It has a special place in my heart as my first SX record. I really love V, but if someone said, "you could only have ONE Symphony X album to listen to ever again?" I'd be happy with Inferno, Wicked, Accolade II, Awakenings, The Odyssey, and Frontiers.

The self-titled debut is your favourite album?? Have you heard the other ones? :p

My choice is easy as pie. I vote, of course, for V :worship:

There's too much to say about why this is my all time favourite album.
Yes I did. Now that I think about it, Im actually not so sure if the self titled debut is my favorite, since I love all of the albums equally......Difficult decision. I guess I'll switch my favorite to TDWOT. :lol:

And tell me why is V your favorite? Im curious to know mate.

I'll second V. First SX album I ever heard, and to this day one of my personal top 3 albums period. It's just a masterpiece in nearly every way. The Odyssey comes in at a not too far off second.

Mines definitely Iconoclast.
It's their heaviest, well produced and best written in my opinion. It's perfect driving music and although it got some flak for not being 'proggy' enough or whatever, that didn't matter to me at all. It's a perfect heavy metal album, with loads of ideas and atmosphere, and a great evolutionary step for the band. Absolutely love it!

Mines definitely Iconoclast.
It's their heaviest, well produced and best written in my opinion. It's perfect driving music and although it got some flak for not being 'proggy' enough or whatever, that didn't matter to me at all. It's a perfect heavy metal album, with loads of ideas and atmosphere, and a great evolutionary step for the band. Absolutely love it!
Yeah, I agree Iconoclast is very well produced album. When I first heard Iconoclast I was amazed how clear and loud every instrument sounds, and Russell's vocals.

i don't know what my favorite SX album is. iconoclast is probably the most forgettable, along with the self titled. they've kinda fell off the map for me, and i don't listen to them much anymore. maaaaaybe if they'd let us know what's up once in a while.....

When something's loud, its a good thing by the way.

Fallacy.

Loudness is directly controlled by the listener's volume knob. Any album can be loud. You just turn the dial.

On the other hand, dynamic range (the difference in volume and intensity between the quietest and loudest parts) cannot be controlled by the listener an is embedded in the mixing and mastering processes. Strong representation of dynamic range is a good thing. It makes the loud parts really loud, since you'll already have turned the volume up to properly hear the quieter sections. Also, it helps to break up the piece into sections and enhance impact.

Fallacy.

Loudness is directly controlled by the listener's volume knob. Any album can be loud. You just turn the dial.

On the other hand, dynamic range (the difference in volume and intensity between the quietest and loudest parts) cannot be controlled by the listener an is embedded in the mixing and mastering processes. Strong representation of dynamic range is a good thing. It makes the loud parts really loud, since you'll already have turned the volume up to properly hear the quieter sections. Also, it helps to break up the piece into sections and enhance impact.
Yeah well, I just didnt know what it is called. Dynamic range is what I meant, I just didnt know thats what its called mate. Honestly, Iconoclast has truly amazing production without a doubt. It would have been great if other symphony x albums had that production, but I can understand why they dont.

I have picked Paradise Lost, because it's "my favourite". But if the question was about the "best" album I'd have chosen V: I'm one of those who think it's a peak they will never reach again.

but iconoclast doesn't have any quieter parts - it's all loud

That's the first thing I noticed the first time I put the cd in the player: all loud, a wall of guitars covering nearly everything else. It took a lot of listenings to find out some hidden melodies! Plus, the lack of diversified keyboard sounds, the minimal use of the piano and the absence of the multi-layered vocals make it a great metal album but a step backward in their career.
I don't think it's a bad album, but I think that Paradise Lost has the perfect balance of progressive, melodic and aggressive elements.

Fallacy.

Exactly. Iconoclast fails in this regard.

Yeah well, I just didnt know what it is called. Dynamic range is what I meant, I just didnt know thats what its called mate. Honestly, Iconoclast has truly amazing production without a doubt. It would have been great if other symphony x albums had that production, but I can understand why they dont.

Brick-walling the sound is not good production. No matter how much the folks in the modern recording industry (and Rick Rubin) seem to think so.

I'm so glad that the other albums are properly produced (other than the s/t and Damnation Game). Paradise Lost and The Odyssey have less dynamic range than others, but they still work quite well. If V was produced like Iconoclast, it would sound like garbage and ruin the entire magic of the album.

DWoT, V, Iconoclast. They feel different enough for me to not want to choose between them.

I have picked Paradise Lost, because it's "my favourite". But if the question was about the "best" album I'd have chosen V: I'm one of those who think it's a peak they will never reach again.

I'm curious to hear as to why your favourite and the best should be two different things.