Whats your favorite Symphony X album?

What is your favorite Symphony X album mate?

• Iconoclast

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Symphony X

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • V: The New Mythology Suite

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Twilight in Olympus

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • The Odyessey

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • The Damnation Game

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Paradise Lost

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
Used to be DWoT, but I seem to like TiO more and more. I don't know what I like so much about it, it's just... different from everything they've done.

DWoT, V, Iconoclast. They feel different enough for me to not want to choose between them.

That's pretty easy: an overall very good album can be "the best"; an album with some good songs, some filler and your all-time favourite can be "your favourite".

With this said, I don't think the problem with Iconoclast is the production, but rather the songwriting and the mix. The sound of every single instrument is great, but if you only write "in-your-face" songs, sing only with the aggressive tone and with no multi-layered choirs and mix the guitar to cover nearly everything, well, you can't blame the production! :bah:

So, IMHO, if V had the production if Iconoclast it would have sounded great(er); if it had the mix of Iconoclast, it wouldn't.

That's pretty easy: an overall very good album can be "the best"; an album with some good songs, some filler and your all-time favourite can be "your favourite".

In addition to this, I always post my current favorites in any sort of "top lists." My current favorites can change quite often.

All-time favorite, the current best, or all-time best would be too difficult for me to list :D

^ Saw that a while back. Made me want to reach my arm through my monitor, into cyberspace, and come out on his side to strangle him for such blasphemy. I can understand the whole concept album deal not being everyone's cup of tea, but that review is so off-base it's absolutely pathetic.

OMG, thank you for posting that review, it made my day! The spelling and grammar is simply hilarious, as is his opinion. Looking at his other reviews his quite funny, as well: he calls V lame and cheesy and generic, yet gives virtually every Hammerfall album a 100%.

Definitely V, although DWOT is a close second. I prefer the albums that heavily represent the 'symphony' part of SX. The last 2 albums are more straight ahead 'me too' heavy metal, sacrificing the symphonic part of what drew me to them in the first place. The last 2 albums, specifically, veered away from that in favor of the 'harsh' vocal / me too metal sound. I'd really like to hear Russell sing again, but I'm starting to think he (especially considering AMOB) just isn't interested in singing anymore, but would rather shout everything for some some strange reason.

Well, he actually started on The Odyssesy. The first time I heard Inferno I thought I had put a Pantera cd in the player :ill:
Yeah. I agree. From Odyssey onwards Russell's singing cannot be called singing anymore. Shouting is the only right word. I have no problem with it though, because I like his voice anyway.

Yeah. I agree. From Odyssey onwards Russell's singing cannot be called singing anymore. Shouting is the only right word. I have no problem with it though, because I like his voice anyway.

That's not true again :p

He mixed up the styles on that album. He sings clean and melodic on The Odyssey, for example, or on The Turning. Or Awakenings. ;)

And he did quite the same mix on Paradise Lost.

Paradise Lost is my current favourite, followed closely by DWoT, The Odyssey, and V. There simply isn't a Symphony X album I don't hold in very high regard.

Iconoclast is a fricken awesome album, and although there are some softer moments, I agree that the album is less dynamic than what I expected it to be after the last seven albums.

I've been a SX fan for a very long time. Maybe I wasn't a true fan at the time, but I was well on my way after hearing Raging Season for the first time, and the band has grown so much since then.

I picked V. I agree completely that Russel's singing can't be called singing anymore. More like screaming. It gets old after a (short) while. I seriously wonder if he's losing his ability to sing as he gets older and screams to compensate?

I picked V. I agree completely that Russel's singing can't be called singing anymore. More like screaming. It gets old after a (short) while. I seriously wonder if he's losing his ability to sing as he gets older and screams to compensate?

No, it's just a part of his 'badass' attitude. He sings clean on other recent albums like Victims of the Modern Age (Star One, 2010) and the Allen-Lande albums (latest from 2010?), and it sounds fine to me. He can still sing.

The answer is, just to name one, on the chorus of Paradise Lost, especially at the ending