Favorite/Least Favorite Symphony X song

Kronikle66

Everybody dies alone
Oct 10, 2003
Tallahassee, Florida
Visit site
Ok, let's exclude the songs with the old singer. Just songs with Russel Allen. And songs that are longer than 2 minutes and have singing (Sonata and On the Breath of Posiden etc. don't count) So what are your favorite and least favorite Symphony X songs?

Mine (both on Twilight in Olympus lol):
Through the Looking Glass - Favorite. I love every part of this song. It's such a masterpeice. I even wrote an epic play that was performmed by my school while inspired by this song.
Lady of the Snow - Least Favorite. I love the opening of this song but afterwards it's just really slow and stretched. I don't like the guitaring. It sounds sort of whining type. It's still alright, but it's my least favorite Symphony X song.

Btw, 100th post.

-Kronikle

Well... the favourite one is really hard to pick one... so I guess I'm going to pick 2 (and for being fair, 2 for the less favourite one):

Favourite:
-The Accolade: I love 99% of this song. A total masterpiece... from the beggining to end, there's no way that I could skip this. For me, it has everything: great beggining, tempo changes, killer performance by all the members... and of course, that incredible instrument layer part, which bring tears to my eyes... :p (but, the missing 1% is ruined on the same part... never liked the bass and drums part after the sweet piano... :()
-The Edge of Forever: Really... this one is truly one of my all-time favourite songs. It's incredible, and I think I can't say anything that describe it.

Less Favourite:
-Lady of the Snow: It's not that bad. Just... subpar for all the killer material on TiO (c'mon that disc is pure gold, very underrated). I gotta agree with you, Kronikle, about the whiney guitar. I can't stand the guitar "solo-whatever" before the verse. It goes to much high for me. And it's not as at catchy as other album closers (Winter's dream, Candlelight, Rediscovery, Odyssey).
-The Witching Hour: Hum... I can't stand the song. The chorus is just... awkward (IMO). :p

Sorry for the "long" post... :D

Favorite:
-Fallen: I love this song because it sounds very dark and evil. The opening keyboard part is sinister. There are great vocals... the chorus has some excellent dark guitar riffing... Russell sounds very ominous during the verses... love that guitar/keyboard run in the middle of the song... very awesome

Least Favorite:
-Witching Hour: Probably the only song from the Russell Allen-era that I hate. It just sounds so corny and uninspired. This is the type of song that third-rate neoclassical metal bands do. Very disjointed and without any memorable melodies.

Favorite - The Edge Of Forever or Rediscovery Part 2

Least Favorite - The Accolade I (i'm gonna get my ass flamed for this :lol: :p)

Favourite: The Oddyssey and Eyes of Medusa (most underrated song eva!!)
Shittiest: Witching Hour. Havent heard any of the Damnation Game album bt/w

My favorite changes from day to day, but I'd have to go with The Odyssey simply for being the uber-epic that contains everything and more that symbolizes their sound. Least favorite would be Shades Of Gray, no question. One of the most listless and uninspiring songs I've heard from anybody.

Hmm.... I can't pick a least favorite because there
are so many I like on just about equal levels. But I think
my favorite's The Odyssey.

And if we're not considering epic's... then probably... this
is tough... Uhh, Accolade, Church of the Machine, Candlelight
Fantasia, Inferno, Masqerade 98'(probably spelled wrong), Fallen,
Evolution, Wicked... SCREW IT! I CAN'T DECIDE!

I know its not even the best thing musically even on the album it graces, but I could listen to "Evolution" forever and ever. It just works for me.
And for some weird reason, "Pharoah" grates my nerves.

man can there only be 2 fav's and non fav's.. stuff ya's im putting all of them ;).

Favorites:
Accolade I (Just listening to this song now and reminds me of one of the most wonderful moments of my life when I discovered that I didnt just like but LOVE - bow down lick your shoes clean do anything for kinda love - Symphony X)

Divine Wings Of Tragedy

Through The Looking Glass

Rediscovery (whole thing)

too bloody many to decide frankly (inferno, odyssey, fallen, egypt..ok i'll stop now)

Non Fav's:

Masquerade '98 (shudders, I know Russ made it 100% better than the original, but still nothin can help this song)

Savage Curtain (most of the damnation game isnt that crash hot IMO bar the few exceptions like edge of forever)

Pharaoh (cool till the chorus, that just ruins it..yes that grates my nerves also)

Favourites - They vary. Maybe at the moment my most favourites are Candleight Fantasia, Rediscovery, Communion and the Oracle, Awakenings...

Least favourite - A Fool's Paradise, The bird-serpent war and King of Terrors pisses me off a bit.

Hm.... interesting. So many different opinions. It's really hard to decide which song is the best if you know their every song, but i'll go with the Odyssey.
The least favourite would be savage curtain or whispers. Maybe because i never really listened them that many times.

Favorites: Sea of Lies/Divine Wings of Tragedy

Pieces of Crap: The Haunting (Russell sounds out of key to me in the chorus, thus making it impossible to listen to), Witching Hour

And to those of you that say Pharaoh's chorus sucks, SCREW YOU!!! :)