What Makes A Metal Song "Epic" ?

Drums/rhythms are what make a song epic, as well as the general progression of the song. I favor later Moonsorrow as a demonstration of epicness. Notice how they build up for a good 4-5 minutes before they get into the "real" song in which the whole band plays. This builds anticipation which makes Ville Sorvali's oncoming introductory shriek all the more satisfying and, of course, more epic.

Agalloch's drummer Aesop Dekker is a master at bringing the epic.

I love Kivenkantaja and Voimasta Ja Kunniasta both also and Havitetty. Wtf I love every song by Moonsorrow.

Saw them live at Paganfest, was a little drunk...They blew me away I couldn't stop headbanging.

Iron Maiden's - Alexander the Great, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 7th Son of a 7th son, Mother Russia, To Tame a Land, are all Epic songs.
I put it to you that none of these songs are even particularly good.

Bathory- One Road to Asa Bay

This is my definition of epic.

What makes this song epic?

Musically it consists of droning guitar, choirs, clean singing, and a heavy drumbeat. I would say that the epic elements here are the choirs and heavy drumbeat. These don't make something epic, but they help.

Aside from that, the song tells a story; aside from the implications for the lyrics, this means the song does not consist of the typical verse-chorus structure. EPIC.

Now, somebody mentioned length. I dispute this. Listen to Amon Amarth - The Sound Of Eight Hooves. That song is definitely epic, yet it's only ~5 mins. However, it tells a story. It's also mad melodic.

So...melody, choirs, storytelling, and heavy drumbeats. That's all I have the energy for right now.

Dude are you telling me...None of those classic Maiden songs appeal to you at all? You don't like Iron Maiden? Rime is a classic Metal song, Alexander the great and 7th son are 2 of my fav maiden songs, to tame a land is another classic and so is mother russia.

You also have a name that is taken from In Flames who are heavily influenced by Maiden.

There's a certain visceral reaction (which I can't really describe) I have to songs which I feel are larger in scope than most others which makes a song "epic" to me. The song's length, production, etc. are irrelevant to this, which is why Beherit's "Metal of Death" is more epic than just about any half-hour pseudo-orchestral power/prog wankfest that so many people associate with the word in regards to music.

Metal cannot be epic unless it has been recorded on top of a mountain with the band members having performed a Gregorian chant for a full 20 minutes.

Then they must invite a local tribe to perform traditional music with purely natural instruments made out of the finest Hornbeam wood.

After recording this, the record should be left outside for the next three weeks in the middle of Scandinavanian forest to soak in the textures of the pine surroundings.

Finally, the band must cut all ties with its previous connections to the Death or Black Metal scene as it has now become part of the relatively frowned upon genre known as Epic Gladiator Metal. (Note: this does not apply to Bathory)

Usually if something feels epic, then it just has the feel. It doesn't need to be played a certain way, when the feeling is there.

Aside from that, the song tells a story; aside from the implications for the lyrics, this means the song does not consist of the typical verse-chorus structure. EPIC.

I believe that songs can be epic even if they aren't telling a story, but it definitely adds to the epic quality if they are. Epic poetry is, by definition, a narrative poem.

Now, somebody mentioned length. I dispute this. Listen to Amon Amarth - The Sound Of Eight Hooves. That song is definitely epic, yet it's only ~5 mins. However, it tells a story. It's also mad melodic.

I agree. Askival's "Forged in the Fires of Alba" is less than four minutes, and it's epic as hell.

Metal cannot be epic unless it has been recorded on top of a mountain with the band members having performed a Gregorian chant for a full 20 minutes.

Then they must invite a local tribe to perform traditional music with purely natural instruments made out of the finest Hornbeam wood.

After recording this, the record should be left outside for the next three weeks in the middle of Scandinavanian forest to soak in the textures of the pine surroundings.

Finally, the band must cut all ties with its previous connections to the Death or Black Metal scene as it has now become part of the relatively frowned upon genre known as Epic Gladiator Metal. (Note: this does not apply to Bathory)

:lol::lol:

Wait wait..Can we get back to the guy who bashed all those classic Maiden Songs? Noone has love for Maiden? Fuckin A!

I agree, u listed some pretty sweet maiden songs. Another epic one I like is "flash of the blade." But I can see how a lot of people on this forum would not like maiden being extreme metal fanatics.

For me I'd have to go with Iced Earth's "The Phantom Opera Ghost", "Damien" & Blind Guardian's "And The There Was Silence"

For songs to be epic for me needs to be near the 10 minute mark or even past that, there are so many good songs that exceed that. I won't list any Dream Theater songs because everyone here basically thinks that it's just pointless random playing of the instruments.