Epic Black Metal

Under a Stone

Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
Yes, this is yet another boring recommendation thread but anyway, I’m looking for epic black metal that packs loads of atmosphere and incorporates interest and original influences.

These are some of the bands that I enjoy.

Graveland
Moonblood
Nokturnal Mortum
Nachtfalke

early Enslaved, though I'm sure you've heard them

Woodtemple
early Aeternus (more like blackened death metal aka Dark Metal)
Morrigan
Geasa
early Forefather
Hades (The Dawn of the Dying Sun is nearly flawless)
Himinbjorg
Iuvenes
Saltus
Sacrilegium
Temnozor'

I totally agree with J's recommendation of early Aeternus. You MUST hear it...especially Beyond the Wandering Moon. It is folky, dark, and epic all at the same time without the elements ever being at odds with eachother. It's not really black metal, or death metal, so it's in that elusive Dark Metal category as J said.

I also second the early Enslaved recommendation, namely Vikingligr Veldi. Brilliant album with 5 viking/black metal epics.

note: not all of those are traditional black metal.

other epics I know of (you've probably heard most of them):

Nargaroth has some good epics (not all of Kanwulf's output is great though) such as Seven Tears Are Flowing to The River, The Day Burzum Killed Mayhem, Amarok (Zorn Des Lammes Part III), Amarok (Zorn Des Lammes Part I)[almost 20 minutes!), Herbstleyd, Vom Traum Die Menchheit zu Toten.

All of Nagelfar's album Srontgorrth, most of their Virus West album, and the songs Schwanengesang, Srontgorrth (Das Dritte Kapitel), Der Flug Des Raben, from their album Hunengrab Im Herbst.

Mutiilation's song Magical Shadows of A Tragic Past is an epic of god awful production (which has some charm).

Moonsorrow are a good epic viking/pagan band. I have heard both Suden Uni and Kivenkantaja and both are great imo.

I agree with the Summoning recommendation. All I have is Dol Goldur but I highly recommend it.

I'm sure you've heard Weakling (can't remember if you posted in my thread about Dead as Dreams or not) but if not, you need to at least try it.

I enjoy Taake's albums Nattestid Ser Porten Vid and Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik

You've probably heard Drudkh.

Falkenbach is alright epic Viking metal. I like the instrumentation and the way everything sounds but the songwriting is mind numbingly simplistic.

Primordial's album Spirit the Earth Aflame is a great pagan metal album, not quite true BM though. Songs aren't 10 minutes or anything but they're longish and very good.

okay, that ran way too long and now I need to sleep.

I second Aeternus, early Enslaved, Taake and Kvist.

You might also enjoy Gehenna's "First Spell" EP or their "Seen Through The Veil Of Darkness: Second Spell" full length.

Gontyna Kry - Welowie
Himinbjorg - Where Ravens Fly
Ashen Light - Pesn Velesa
Hirilorn - Legends of Evil and Eternal Death
Woodtemple - Feel the Anger of the Wind

Golden Dawn's The Art of Dreaming is also a good album, kinda a mixture of Summoning-type synths and raw black metal, with some occasional clean vocals thrown in.

And if you can track it down, the ABMS-Norici Obscura Pars compilation is quite excellent with two unreleased Golden Dawn tracks, a Pazuzu track, Trifixion, and 2 Vuzem (who would morph into Hollenthon) songs not found anywhere else. One of the Vuzem songs is around 18 minutes and is beautiful.

I'll second these -

Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry
Summoning - All
Aeternus - Beyond The Wandering Moon, And So The Night Became
Golden Dawn - The Art Of Dreaming

I second almost all of the aforementioned bands. Dub Buk, Drudkh, Nokturnal Mortum, Nagelfar, Negurã Bunget, Summoning, Morrigan/Mayhemic Truth being personal favorites.

Some more that I don't think have been mentioned:

Forgotten Woods - everything, but "Curse of Mankind" is their best imo.
Arckanum - "Kostogher", "Kampen" and "Fran Marder" (and the new split with Svartsyn is great too)
Limbonic Art - "Moon in the Scorpio" & "Ad Noctum - Dynasty of Death"
Hades Almighty - "Dawn of the Dying Sun", "Alone Walkyng", "Again Shall Be"
Silencer - "Death - Pierce Me"
Helheim - "Jormundgand"
Sear Bliss - "Forsaken Symphony" first and foremost. I have high hopes for their brand new one, "Glory and Perdition". www.redstream.org has most releases by this Hungarian horde at a cheap price.
Lunar Aurora - "Weltengänger", "Ars Moriendi"
Lux Occulta - "Dionysos", "My Guardian Anger"

... at the top of my head.