Recommend me some epic black metal

MFJ

Jan 20, 2004
Behind the mist.
I'm very familiar with Black Metal/Viking/Folk metal, but not a ton of the lesser known names. I'm looking for long songs with depth, emotion, and ambience. For black metal that fits into the "epic" catagory (even just a little bit) I regularly listen to the following-

Windir
Finntroll
Bathory
Summoning
Noctuary
Borknagar
Emperor
Azrael
Dissection
Vintersorg
... and etc-

I'm thinking something along the lines of Summoning, Finntroll, Windir, or Moonsorrow.

so if anyone has some recommendations- I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks! :worship:

ah good of you to remind me of them- Finntroll is one of my favorite bands and I respect Trollhorn very much. I've heard some Moonsorrow and I dig it.

Sounds like you need to listen to Dimmu Borgir .. i didnt see them on your list... get the albums Death Cult Armageddon .. and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia ... im addicted to both albums... Children of Bodom might interest you as well.. right now im listening to the Hatebreeder album..

I'm actually quite a fan of Dimmu Borgir and own all their releases :)

I very excited, I'm seeing them in 6 days.

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Sounds like you need to listen to Dimmu Borgir .. i didnt see them on your list... get the albums Death Cult Armageddon .. and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia ... im addicted to both albums... Children of Bodom might interest you as well.. right now im listening to the Hatebreeder album..

:guh:

HEY, LET'S RECOMMEND BANDS EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT SHALL WE?!?!

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Hahahaha. Something tells me this guy hasnt spent much time here.

Anyway, yeah you cant go past all of Summoning's releases, as well as Drudkh and Nokturnal Mortum. Graveland too, if they're realy in the same category.

Graveland - Thousand Swords
Graveland - Immortal Pride
Moonblood - Blut Und Krieg
Moonblood/Deathspell Omega - Sob A Lua Do Bode/Demonic Vengeance
Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vertusta
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Nachtfalke - Doomed to Die
Hate Forest - Purity
Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil