Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry
Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
Enslaved - Viking Ligr Veldi
Graveland - Immortal Pride
Fullmoon - United Evil (good luck finding it...it's so kvlt it was limited to 1000 copies)
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal
Sigh - Hail Horror Hail
Bathory - Blood Fire Death

and don't write anything off because its NSBM. just listen to it.

Jean-Pierre said:
TORMENTOR - ANNO DOMINI.

Don't listen to anyone else. Download this (don't bother trying to find and buy it, it's fucking impossible unless you're willing to spend over $30.00).
Thirded, but I like The 7th Day of Doom better actually and it's been re-released on finyl fairly recently so it should be obtainable

It seems like you probably don't like raw black metal, which is what most people think of when they think of black metal. You would probably like very thrashy black metal, or black metal with lots of death metal influence better. Here are some bands you may like:

Alastor
Sabbat
Desaster
Absu
Destroyer 666
Impending Doom
Abigail
Grand Belial's Key
Belphegor
Leichenzug
Axis of Advance
Grminess
Bluttauffe
Mortuary Drape
Oathean
Arkhon Infaustus

Now, none of these bands are pure, raw black metal in the vein of Darkthrone, but that is exactly why you may like them. They all play black metal heavily mixed with thrash or death metal.

Gallantry over Docility said:
No.

People who think Pure Holocaust is anything less than FANTASTIC haven't given it a concentrated listen through decent headphones.

I still think it's pretty fucking fantastic! Actually, now that I think about it, I'd put PH ahead of the rest of the Darkthrone catalogue, but not "A Blaze...". Not many black metal albums touch that one for me.

I post before i read - its a disease - none the less I think lord belial are quite under-rated , theres the black metal bands most popular with goth and emo kids like dimmu borgir and cradle of filth, but i'd say check out these.

Kalmah (melodic, not really blackmetal, but blackmetal style vocals)
Lord Belial (great black metal band, dark yet beautifull, inspiring many emotions)
Midvinter (dead and lost in the past, but still worth checking out)
Dissection (Says it all)
Noctes (dead in the past, but definitely worth checking out)
Hecate enthroned (COF wannabe thats actualy bearable even if you don't like COF)
Inaeternum (hard to genre these guys, but definitely has the sound)

thats all i can think of off the top of my head

How in the world is Axis Of Advance not black metal AT ALL?

I can see where you get off saying they are only slightly black metal. I agree, they are more death metal, and more fit the "war" metal stereotype, even if it isn't a genre, but they have the black metal sound in there somewhere in that muck of blasts, frenzied riffing, and aggressive songwriting.

Firstly, I mentioned DSO earlier in the thread. Secondly, I think their latest is among the most accessible BM around as shown by its booming popularity.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
How in the world is Axis Of Advance not black metal AT ALL?

I can see where you get off saying they are only slightly black metal. I agree, they are more death metal, and more fit the "war" metal stereotype, even if it isn't a genre, but they have the black metal sound in there somewhere in that muck of blasts, frenzied riffing, and aggressive songwriting.

The only thing that sounds black metal to me is the dirty production on a couple of albums. All the riffing is deathy, the blasting style could be seen as blackened because Read can't kick roll or bomb blast, but it's generally too hyperactive and varied for bm. Vocals are all over the place so you could call that either way. It's atmospheric, dirty and sounds evil, but I don't see those as exclusive qualities to BM (unless you classify BM by feel more than content). The last album even was even marketed as death (well, partly).

I see it as kind of similar to how Impaled got called goregrind by some people just because some of their stuff was really harshly produced.

re: DsO - I find them quite accessible but I don't think it's an inherently bad thing.