Recommend me dark death metal

Freanan

Jul 4, 2003
Esthal - deep under forests alive...
I am getting interrested in death metal, having listened to mostly bm till now.
The problem is that most dm does not give very much to me.
Now i am looking for Death Metal that is actual Death Metal (not some genre mix), but that also has atmosphere in it.

An example would be a fragment of a song from Demigod: Slumber of Sullen Eyes. I would just buy that album if i could get it for a reasonable price.
Death Metal that i like sometimes is Morbid Angel, Demilich, early Amorphis (, Suffocation and Miasma).
I also like Disembowelment, but they are not purely dm.

Please recommend me some stuff in that vein.
Please post quality and not quantity ;)

Gorement: the ending quest. Reminds me of 'the karelian isthmus'
Sentenced: shadows of the past
Demigod: slumber of sullen eyes
Immolation: dawn of possession,here in after.
Incantation: onward to golgotha,mortal throne of nazerene
God Macabre: the winterlong
Darkthrone: soulside journey

Liers In Wait - Spiritually Uncontrolled Art (can't be recommended enough)
God Macabre - The Winterlong
Golem - Eternity: The Weeping Horizons
Fester - Winter Of Sin
Darkified - A Dance On The Grave
Fleshcrawl - Descend Into The Absurd
Seance - Saltrubbed Eyes
Mourning - Greetings From Hell

I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with any of these.

Sargatanas - Knights Of The Southern Cross
Pentacle - Under The Black Cross
Mortem - De Natura Daemonium
Shub Niggurath - Kinglike Celebration
Evil Incarnate - Waiting For His Return

If you're not against some clear voice in death metal, i may suggest you Unmoored with the "indefinite soul extension" album : on one hand some very powerful death metal, with a massive sound, and a deep voice, and on the other hand, some more melodic, clear sung parts (but far far from In flames, soilwork and co, believe me) :

http://www.unmoored.com/

Also, in another form of death metal, there's a band i really like very much : Amon Amarth : powerful, always melodic, very well written songs, a deep and energic voice, a metal that'll make dance the whole night. They wrote one of the best death metal album ever (for me) "Versus the world" :

http://www.amonamarth.com/

To add one more, if i may, i'd like to talk about Destinity, a french death metal band (yes i'm french too), which last release is something in the middle of thrash, death, and black. Their songs, especially in the last album "Synthetic existence" have the power to make your ground shake.

http://www.destinity.net

So, sorry for my bad english, but don't pass nearby those bands without have testing them :)

I know and like Amon Amarth, but for me they have always been Viking Metal.
Nile i know too - they are.. ok.

Thanks for the recommendations so far! I will try out some of them. At the moment i am interrested in Liers in Wait and Pentacle (edit: they and some of the other recommendations are rather cheap on life-mailorder - i suppose i will just try them out)...
I would really like to get that Demigod album but it seems to be sold out for a decent price.

Freanan said:
I would really like to get that Demigod album but it seems to be sold out for a decent price.

Xtreem Records JUST reissued this album with a bonus demo.

Dodens Grav said:
Sargatanas - Knights Of The Southern Cross
Pentacle - Under The Black Cross
Mortem - De Natura Daemonium
Shub Niggurath - Kinglike Celebration
Evil Incarnate - Waiting For His Return

Are those actually dark death metal albums or darkened death/black like say Necrophobic 'the nocturunal silence'.

If those cds are from the early 90's i'm pretty interested in looking into them.

Freanan said:
I know and like Amon Amarth, but for me they have always been Viking Metal.
... you sir are a dumbass. Lyrics do not dictate the genre of a band, especially not with Viking metal. AA are Melo-death.

Ethereal Blue
Wicked Innocence
Garden of Shadows

Yeah that album is the album that would scare/worry/make uncomfortable people that originally find metal to be funny.

I thought Wicked Innocence sucked, but it is a fitting recommendation.

I'll second / third:
God Macabre - The Winterlong
Fleshcrawl - Descend into the Absurd

and I'll be listening to Pentacle and Liers In Wait :)