Feel like recommending me lesser known, but awesome Death Metal bands?

Sep 2, 2003
London, England
I don't think I've been using the UM forums for long enough to get it across that I'm a DM fanatic and I'm always after new and impressive Death Metal to listen to.

My personal favourite "school" of DM is Morbid Angel and all the MA worship bands, which basically includes most Polish DM bands. Quality solo's are what I look for as well but quite often fail to find, with a few exceptions.

So please suggest any Death Metal bands that you feel kick your ass every time you listen to them.

I'll recommend some, if anyone's interested:

All Shall Perish - Hate. Malice. Revenge
Dissenter - Apocalypse of The Damned
Dissenter - Contamination
Hate - Awakening of The Liar
Luciferion - The Apostate
Mithras - Forever Advancing... Legions
Necronomicon - Pharaoh of Gods
Rebaelliun - Annihilation
Severed Savior - Brutality Is Law
Vile - Depopulate

Vader are unbeatable live
God Dethroned
Noctiferia
Amon Amarth
Nile are amazing live
Mortician are quite singular as Death Metal goes, good show too.
Immolation also slay live
Malevolent Creation
Dismember should have been above N*Flamz at Wacken, they killed.
The Crown are sorely under-rated

Most of these you probably know but you just asked for opinions of Bands that slay, and these do, live and on disc.

hibernal_dream said:
Paganizer - Murder Death Kill

Yeah, i got that. I prefer "Dead Unburied" myself.

Heavy Metal Samurai said:
Oh sorry, well all those bands kick ass, but most are well known.

Try Diamanthian, local Liverpool band, getting bigger soon, they have a gig reviewed in Terrorizer soon and a song on the cover CD.

Remember where you heard it first, go to the sounds page.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the Terrorizer CD with them on. I was downloading a song at 455 bytes/sec. They look like a kick ass metal band, but looks count for nothing.

I have to agree that All Shall Perish, Hate, Necronomicon, and Severed Saviour all rule.

I highly recommend the following:

Vehemence - God Was Created

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenfris

Avulsed - Yearning For The Grotesque

Brodequin - Festival of Death

Brutal Truth

Eternal Suffering - Remain Forever In Misery

Funeral Mist - Salvation

Grimfist - Ghouls of Grandeur

Misery Index - Retaliate

Neuraxis - Truth Beyond

Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefication

Necrophobic - Bloodhymns (black/death)

Psycroptic - The Scepter of The Ancients

The Chasm - Procession To The Infraworld

Visceral Bleeding - Remnants of Deprivation

Theory In Practice - Colonizing The Sun

Wormed - Planisphaerium

As far as brutal death goes...

Check these bands out:
Council of the Fallen
Incision
Fleshgrind
Necrophagist
Vomitory
Sarcafogus
Asphyx
Eternal Gray
Betrayer

Can't think of any more at the moment

Reactions: Oceanic Motion
Trench said:
Check these bands out:
Council of the Fallen
Incision
Fleshgrind
Necrophagist
Vomitory
Sarcafogus
Asphyx
Eternal Gray
Betrayer

Can't think of any more at the moment

Yeah! Vomitory is GREAT!!! I think I've heard Betrayer as well, they're pretty cool too.

BloodStainedWalls said:
Brodequin - Festival of Death

Funeral Mist - Salvation

Wormed - Planisphaerium

They're the only ones i havent heard, but what single tracks of Wormed i've heard just pissed me off. Good music but fuckin awful vocals. And i DL'd some Brodequin mp3's from their mp3.com page and was appalled with how poorly produced the tracks were. I've check oot the Funeral Mist though.

Trench said:
Check these bands out:
Sarcafogus
Asphyx
Eternal Gray
Betrayer

Thanx i'll check those out.

genocidal roach said:
psypheria
excarnum
dead eyed stare

...and those.

thanx :headbang:

Blood Stained Walls has awesome taste.

I'll add to his list;

Siksakubur - complex, compact indonesian brutal death with O_O drumming.

Nefas - imagine Immolation with the speed of Krisiun, but far more technical.

Fleshtized - vaguely Morbid Angel-esque DM but with better grooves and some killer quake riffing.

Nephasth - up and coming brazilian death metal....one of the few DM there bands who don't blatantly copy (cough*rebaelliun*cough) Krisiun. Fast but intricate.

Debodified - Extremely dense and heavy yet catchy, chugging but with loads of time changes....and another O_O drummer.

Sepsism - more chuggy deathgrind, and again, catchy, but with a sort of primal atmosphere. must be all the floor tom usage.

and I second Neuraxis, Psycroptic, Vile, Vomitory, Necrophagist. goodness.

Blood Stained Walls wins the "Good Taste" award.

If you choose just one death metal band make sure it's Lykathea Aflame.

If it's two make it Lykathea Aflame and The Necrophagist.

If you are into really brutal, often technical stuff with extreme and excellent drumming, check out these bands. But beware, the opening riffs of Devourment's Babykiller might rip you open.

CRYPTOPSY
BRODEQUIN
DEVOURMENT
DISGORGE (Californian)
FOETOPSY
KRISIUN
MALIGNANCY
MENTAL HORROR
SECT OF EXECRATION
DEEDS OF FLESH
LYKATHEA AFLAME (now LYKATHE)
INTERNAL SUFFERING
ENMITY
CINERARY

Jondur said:
Blood Stained Walls wins the "Good Taste" award.

If you choose just one death metal band make sure it's Lykathea Aflame.

If it's two make it Lykathea Aflame and The Necrophagist.

I'm one of the few people who think Lykathea aren't anything special at all. 'Elvenefris' was disappointing after I read so many good reviews.

SculptedCold said:
Siksakubur - complex, compact indonesian brutal death with O_O drumming.

Nefas - imagine Immolation with the speed of Krisiun, but far more technical.

Fleshtized - vaguely Morbid Angel-esque DM but with better grooves and some killer quake riffing.

Nephasth - up and coming brazilian death metal....one of the few DM there bands who don't blatantly copy (cough*rebaelliun*cough) Krisiun. Fast but intricate.

Debodified - Extremely dense and heavy yet catchy, chugging but with loads of time changes....and another O_O drummer.

Sepsism - more chuggy deathgrind, and again, catchy, but with a sort of primal atmosphere. must be all the floor tom usage.

Nefas sound interesting :hotjump:. I've got Fleshtized's 'Here Among Thorns' but haven't listened to it much yet. Nephasth sound promising as well, seeing as most Brazilian DM bands are Krisiun with a different name.

Thanx for the list I'll check 'em out.

I
Ageless said:
I'm one of the few people who think Lykathea aren't anything special at all. 'Elvenefris' was disappointing after I read so many good reviews.
I agree, the drummer is fast like hell but somehow they need to take a lesson from Cryptopsy on how to play their guitars and how to sound at least remotely brutal... It is a shame, because I think they are a very talented band. At least the drummer is. :) I wonder what their next album will sound like, I am hearing they changed their name AGAIN and they are introducing a female vocalist. Hmm.

Anyways, my main recommendations came on _top_ of the list. :) Sell your soul to brutal death! You will be amazed how good it is!