Death Metal

EternalMetal

Mar 31, 2004
Recommend me some really good death metal. like stuff that gives death metal a good name. I have been getting into some of it lately and realize that i have like no real good brutal death metal.

I am not deeply deeply into death metal where I can throw around names like you can. These are the main bands I know and therefore I recommend them.

In the world of death metal here is a list of my bands that I know and like...

Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Death, Obituary, Dismember, Kataklysym, Vader, Amon Amarth, Decapitated, Hypocrisy, Deicide, Vital Remains, Carcass, Suffocation, Entombed, At The Gates, Arch Enemy, older In Flames, and Black Dahlia Murder.

I just listed the ones that I did because if you are new to death metal I feel thats a great way to start.

I'm hardly into DM either :)

Cannibal Corpse, I believe, is the only extreme metal band to sell over a million albums, so I'm pretty sure anyone interested in metal knows about them.

Maybe I've just forgotten what it was like when I was new and didn't even know the "huge" names...

Caelum Adustum said:
I will NEVER understand why people recommend bands the most popular bands in the genre asked for.

Maybe he wants to start with the essentials perhaps?

eradykate, psypheria, severed savior, spawn of possesion, cephalic carnage, gorerotted, exhumed, cattle decapitation

that should get ya started
~gR~

welkin97 said:
Necrophagist

I don't get the appeal of this band... sounds like Dream Theater or some wanky shit without the keyboards and with harsh vocals. I trieda a few times to listen to Epitaph... just not my thing I guess. The songs sounded pretty boring and standard too.

Miasma, carcass(an obvious one I guess)... I'm really bad with genres to be honest, but you might also check out cryptopsy, misery index, the chasm if you haven't heard them yet. I don't own that much death metal really, and the brunt of what I do have has already been listed. Has entomed been mentioned?

IAmEternal said:
I don't get the appeal of this band... sounds like Dream Theater or some wanky shit without the keyboards and with harsh vocals. I trieda a few times to listen to Epitaph... just not my thing I guess. The songs sounded pretty boring and standard too.
Try "Onset..." instead. Epitaph didnt really click with me either.

Caelum Adustum said:
I will NEVER understand why people recommend bands the most popular bands in the genre asked for.

Do we need to have a contest to see who can name the most obscure bands?

Perhaps the reason you don't have any brutal death metal is that you don't really like it. Make sure you actually are a fan of the music not forcing yourself to like it. (I found myself doing that when I was just getting into "extreme metal") Sorry I don't recommend anything, I couldn't with a clear concience "endorse" any brutal death band seing as how I really haven't liked any.

I suppose The Black Dahlia Murders has their moments of greatness but overall seem pretty uninspiring. Another borderline brutal/melodic death band is Wehrwulf, they have their moments as well.

I can only get into a few of those bands. namely,
Nile
necrophagist
decapitated
Vader
Malevolent Creation
Death
older Dying Fetus
Bloodbath
the Forsaken
Psycroptic
Luciferion
Disparaged
and some Blood Red Throne songs.

I am a sucker for clean production though.