US Death metal..

im giving incantation another try... and its definatly better than obituary and cannibal corpse....but i dont see whats good about them.... maybe people just ruined these bands by saying they are so awesome and i expected something better......

How is Cannibal Corpse or Obituary irrelevent to death metal. Obituary was one of the first death metal bands EVER. They took infleunce from Celtic Frost,etc... Early CC is great oldschool thrash influenced no frills bullshit death metal. If that's not enough why don't you get out of death metal and go to college. Just because they are not wanking your dick with some stupid synthetic production and flashy music they are irrelevent. Some people really forgot what 'death metal' is. Put on some jeans,a T-Shirt,have some brew and be an idiot. Figure out what death metal is. Does the past matter and what regular guys were doing. When did death metal turn into a reject nerd convention and a musical competition.

Bands like Nile and Decapiated are everything wrong with 'death metal'. Oldschool ass kicking death is what people like me want to hear, me anyways. Not someone playing with my dick that sounds like the mummy returns soundtrack. That's not death metal or what it's about. Cannibal Corpse is a perfect example of the term 'death metal'. They deliver death metal, not a fucking lesson in school.

Death Metal is suppose to have great flow,groove and catchy thick riffs. It's suppose to sound like 4,5 guys that just had 4,5 beers and play the best they can to deliver ass kicking 'death metal'. Maybe I'm just partial to old death metal but I can't stand most death metal now. It sounds like fucking plastic. It's boring,not genuine and fake. The production jobs are irritating. You can't even get into most of it.

Listen to Pestilence-Consuming Impulse and hear some real death metal.

swizzlenuts said:
i fucking hate people at shows now.... they run around banging their head like they just went insane and cant control themselves and mosh to hurt other people.... fucking idiots....watch the show and enjoy the energy coming off the band....

While I love most of the old school bands like Obituary and the like, I totally agree with what you said there. Slam dancing is just fucking stupid. There is no way in hell you can be paying attention to the people you paid money to see while your getting your nose busted while acting the fool. People dont seem to even know what a "mosh" is anymore.

Nile are growing on me a little, I can safely say they're a lot better than Cannibal Corpse.

Early Obituary is quite good methinks, but there are many, many bands I'd choose over them.

I don't see what's wrong with Obituary - Slowly we Rot and Cause of Death both clearly rule.

As far as scenes go, I'm not really up to speed as to where abouts bands come from. So I couldn't comment on NY v Florida. I'm sure both have very competent acts amongst piles of shit.

alot of "new school death metal" is bland because of bands like cannibal corpse and obituary IMO. they all want to be a cannibal corpse...

to me i want a death metal band that is fast and catchy riffs... and most bands that do have that aren't obsessed with gore and still have fun...

old school death metal like morbid angel, death, and old at the gates is much better.

New school death metal bands are for the most part dumbed down, sped up Suffocation clones. Like the Unique Leader shit for instance; 90% of the stuff on that label is crap. And the Cali scene brutal death metal is just awful.

old school death metal like morbid angel, death, and old at the gates is much better.
You realize that Morbid Angel and Death were both from Florida, right?

Oh, and Death was overrated as fuck. Possessed and early Sepultura were much better.

Check out the first two Massacra albums. They're just what you're looking for.

Life Sucks said:
New school death metal bands are for the most part dumbed down, sped up Suffocation clones. Like the Unique Leader shit for instance; 90% of the stuff on that label is crap. And the Cali scene brutal death metal is just awful.

I agree. It just gets stupid when newer death metal bands that try so hard to be brutal and angry. It loses the whole point why death metal started in the first place.

Newer death metal bands rip off of Suffocation and Cannibal Corpse than Obituary really. For example, Deeds of Flesh are like a simplified version of Suffocation.

Early Obituary sounds like a heavier version of Celtic Frost so they're not exactly completely original but it's all good.

Life Sucks said:
California death metal sucks.

For the most part. Have you heard Autopsy-Mental Funeral.

Very oldschool sludgy death metal. Very great shit.

I despise the mainstream American attitude to metal, because it has infected everyone here in the UK as well.

Most people saying they're into metal have influences ranging from Metallica to Pantera to Metallica again, and see bands like Machine Head, NEW Sepultura, Soulfly, and all those shitty descendants of thrash that lost its balls, as well as "emo" in many cases - these are the bands they think are the current edge of metal.

Of course it comes with the whole loathable culture of calling everyone "man" or "dude".

Most of these people have never heard of bands like Kreator, and they think FUCKING 'Roots' is Sepultura's best album.

I rest my case.