Which is the best, Florida or New York Death Metal?

SculptedCold said:
No, Texas isn't that special at all for death metal.
I am sorry mate, but Profanity is right. Texas is special like hell. Try to listen to Devourment and the opening riffs of "Babykiller" will rip you open. The vocals are one of a kind and the drumming is unearthly. The production might be a bit weird for some people's liking, but hey, we are not pussies and we are not touchy about such things. There are other bands across the US and the world that play similar music (Foetopsy, Internal Suffering, Enmity, Brodequin, Disgorge, Deeds of Flesh, Malignancy, Pyaemia, Disavowed and many other) but the Texas scene is the biggest and most famous for this, sorta like Norway and black metal. Like I said in my previous post, it is the scene itself that makes the music so special, I don't know if the musicians stick together but it can be heard on their music. I live in Europe (Slovakia/Sweden) and both countries have an extremely small, yet dedicated undergound brutal death metal scene and they draw a lot of inspiration from Texas too. You might have not heard of bands like like Sanatorium, Soils of Fate or Synthetically Revived, but I assure you that in certain circles they are ranked higher than many of the world famous (?) deathmetal bands. But I have to warn you, if you are looking for "death metal" that sounds like it is played by Nightwish, this is not the kind of shit for you.

Profånity said:
Floridal is standard Death Metal, the scene is very big and very overated.

New York is standard Death Metal, the scene is not quite as big as Florida's but features better songwriting and musicianship.

Texas has a unique sound and produces the best Technical/Brutal Death Metal and has one of the worlds biggest underground scenes.

North Carolina has a very big underground scene like Texas but isn't as well known and doesn't have as distinct sound.

California has a very big and very good quality scene. A lot of the DM is Death Thrash or Thrash inspired Death.

Excuse me?

Florida produced Cynic and Atheist, two bands that were anything but 'standard' death metal who incorporated jazzy elements.

You weren't even familiar with the Texan Death metal scene yesterday at 1pm when you asked for some examples. It's beyond me how less than a day later you casually manage to come up with a succinct summary of the entire scene.

New York has more 'brutal' bands like Immolation and Suffocation, whilst both these bands are very good I fail to see how they have better musicianship than say Cynic.

hibernal_dream said:
Lets face it, musicianship doesn't exactly have a great deal of importance in DM anyway...
I disagree. I would agree that there is not much musicianship in the vocals, but their certainly is in the instrumentation. Many complex, technical death metal riffs are very hard to play and write; much more so than any pop punk, hard rock, alternative rock, etc. riffs. Death metal drumming is also very difficult.

Naggamanteh said:
I am sorry mate, but Profanity is right. Texas is special like hell. Try to listen to Devourment and the opening riffs of "Babykiller" will rip you open. The vocals are one of a kind and the drumming is unearthly. The production might be a bit weird for some people's liking, but hey, we are not pussies and we are not touchy about such things. There are other bands across the US and the world that play similar music (Foetopsy, Internal Suffering, Enmity, Brodequin, Disgorge, Deeds of Flesh, Malignancy, Pyaemia, Disavowed and many other) but the Texas scene is the biggest and most famous for this, sorta like Norway and black metal. Like I said in my previous post, it is the scene itself that makes the music so special, I don't know if the musicians stick together but it can be heard on their music. I live in Europe (Slovakia/Sweden) and both countries have an extremely small, yet dedicated undergound brutal death metal scene and they draw a lot of inspiration from Texas too. You might have not heard of bands like like Sanatorium, Soils of Fate or Synthetically Revived, but I assure you that in certain circles they are ranked higher than many of the world famous (?) deathmetal bands. But I have to warn you, if you are looking for "death metal" that sounds like it is played by Nightwish, this is not the kind of shit for you.
haha, that's funny. I don't know how anyone in their right mind could call Devourment 'heavy'. They've got so much simple groove and so many catchy slam riffs they're hardly difficult to listen to at all. I'm more inclined to bob my head unconsciously as if I was listening to pop music whenever I put my Devourment CD's on, much less get 'ripped open'.

SculptedCold said:
haha, that's funny. I don't know how anyone in their right mind could call Devourment 'heavy'. They've got so much simple groove and so many catchy slam riffs they're hardly difficult to listen to at all. I'm more inclined to bob my head unconsciously as if I was listening to pop music whenever I put my Devourment CD's on, much less get 'ripped open'.
If you look at my post you will notice I didn't call them 'heavy' either. They are just one of those bads that "do it" for me, main reason being the drumming. I seldom listen to what people call 'heavy', I need different things in my music. In certain moods, brutality might be one of them and then I turn to the likes of Brodequin. Or I might want beautiful female vocals or something weird. I seldom listen to ordinary death metal, it bores me.

I know you didn't call them heavy, but everything in your post directly alluded to it. What other meaning is to be derived from 'the opening riffs of Babykiller will rip you open' ??

I've not experienced the 'scene' personally, but I find underground Texan death metal music for the most part fairly unspectacular, and certainly not innovative in any considerable way.

SculptedCold said:
I know you didn't call them heavy, but everything in your post directly alluded to it. What other meaning is to be derived from 'the opening riffs of Babykiller will rip you open' ??

I've not experienced the 'scene' personally, but I find underground Texan death metal music for the most part fairly unspectacular, and certainly not innovative in any considerable way.
Agreed, it is not very innovative, not much room for that really. And I understand 99.9% percent of people would not listen to such music. I just wanted to point out to Profanity alternative death metal scenes do exist and they have their top bands and fans across the world too (although not very many).

Int said:
Excuse me?

Florida produced Cynic and Atheist, two bands that were anything but 'standard' death metal who incorporated jazzy elements.

You weren't even familiar with the Texan Death metal scene yesterday at 1pm when you asked for some examples. It's beyond me how less than a day later you casually manage to come up with a succinct summary of the entire scene.

New York has more 'brutal' bands like Immolation and Suffocation, whilst both these bands are very good I fail to see how they have better musicianship than say Cynic.

My thoughts exactly. And, Profånity, how can you know that Texas has one of the "world's biggest underground scenes"? And be able to compare the Texas scene to the North Carolina scene when you were unfamiliar with the Texas scene until yesterday?

hehe, Profanity forwards anything and everything as the best ever if some people seem ignorant about it. ;o)

he reminds me of one of my flatmates. =D

[size=+2]WE LoVE YOU PROFANITY!!!![/size]

Int said:
1-You weren't even familiar with the Texan Death metal scene yesterday at 1pm when you asked for some examples. It's beyond me how less than a day later you casually manage to come up with a succinct summary of the entire scene.

2-New York has more 'brutal' bands like Immolation and Suffocation, whilst both these bands are very good I fail to see how they have better musicianship than say Cynic.
1-I went away and did a lot of research on the net.
2-I suggest you try listening to Pyrexia, Skinless or Incantation.
Immolation and Suffocation aren't even classed as Brutal Death Metal.

Why are people hung up on "musicianship?" Judging bands based on technicality is like judging novels based on which writer uses the most esoteric language. Sure Focus is technically complex, but it's also pretentious, conceptually incoherent and totally derivative of bad fusion jazz.

Profånity said:
1-I went away and did a lot of research on the net.
2-I suggest you try listening to Pyrexia, Skinless or Incantation.
Immolation and Suffocation aren't even classed as Brutal Death Metal.

In under a day? Please.

How are Suffocation not brutal death metal?