Death Metal Statistics

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
This is interesting reading from a recent Metal Blade newsletter:

It's Official: CANNIBAL CORPSE Are The Top-Selling Death Metal Band Of The SoundScan Era (started May 25, 1991)

CANNIBAL CORPSE: 558,929
DEICIDE: 481,131
MORBID ANGEL: 445,147
SIX FEET UNDER: 370,660
OBITUARY: 368,616
DEATH: 368,184
NAPALM DEATH: 367,654
CARCASS: 220,734
ENTOMBED: 198,764

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The top-selling death metal albums of the SoundScan era are as follows:[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MORBID ANGEL - "Covenant" (1993): 127,154
DEICIDE - "Deicide" (1990): 110,719*
DEICIDE - "Legion" (1992): 103,544
OBITUARY - "The End Complete" (1992): 103,378
CANNIBAL CORPSE - "The Bleeding" (1994): 98,319
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*Believed to be the top-selling death album of all time, including pre-SoundScan sales[/font]

What's so bad about Cannibal Corpse? I see them get shit all the time around UM, usually from gore metal fans. Not that there is anything wrong with not liking a band, but I've seen plenty of "Caniel COlrse is eteh suuck!!!111" and then a bunch of gore bands that came AFTER them are listed as "teh roixx0-ersx" or something.

People love to shit on Cannibal Corpse and I always find that very funny. I think it's often because they do sell alot of records, and in turn alot of idiots think they are teh poop, which turn off the TRUE.

Everyone should own Bloodthirst.

I hate them because i think they sound monotonous and boring. I do own bloodthrist, but i also own Gore Obsessed which is definetley "teh suck" as well.

Interesting because there are three bands in the list that get ripped apart in forums: CC, 6FU, and Deicide.

Deicide's debut considered to be the best selling DM album of all time too, so obviously someone likes them.

Black Winter Day said:
a lot of people like slipknot as well
Yeah, but you know what I mean. Slipknot do get some mainstream publicity and mallkids buy their records, whereas Deicide are still considerably underground.

Having said that, if memory serves me right, there was so much anti-christian hoopla on Deicide's debut release, the propoganda (more than the music) probably helped them propel sales.

Yes, everyone should own Bloodthirst (and Vile), and Gore Obsessed (and Gallery of Suicide) certainly qualifies for teh suckskxc.

Although I understand why SFU gets a lot of shit after hearing their new one... :ill:

JayKeeley said:
Having said that, if memory serves me right, there was so much anti-christian hoopla on Deicide's debut release, the propoganda (more than the music) probably helped them propel sales.
When the first Deicide album came out, I had never seen or heard anything so "evil." That made it instantly one of the coolest things in the world. I remember wearing a Deicide shirt in the mall and someone stopping me telling me that they heard about them on Rush Limbaugh, and that I was going straight to hell. The teenage me was all, "fuck yeah!" Very funny...

I remember when I got my first Deicide album, I had Serpents Of The Light in one hand and Once Upon The Cross in the other, and asked a mate (who knows as much about Death Metal as a tea leaf knows the history of the East India tea companyt...or something ) "Do I get the album that is apparently their best, or the one woth Kill The Christian on it?". He said "Kill The Christian" so I got that album...and regretted it for a little while cos I thought it was a naff album :p

Interesting stats...

What are the censored version of the Cannibal Corpse albums by the way? Are they completely different lyrics, or just a word change here or there? Just curious because if I want to check CC out, the censored versions are massively cheaper than the uncensored, and I figured that since you can't understand the vocals anyway, what does it matter, right...?

I always figured the censored Cannibal Corpse CDs were just Robert Schuler speeches played at high volume or some shit.