Death/Metalcore - DFH Superio 2.0, Gearbox, TonePort UX2, Mixing/Mastering-advice

dcb

nerd
Dec 7, 2008
Hey everyone!

this is daniel, i'm new here in terms of posting stuff.
i have actually learned a lot from this place only by reading here for years, so now i think its time to give something back and start sharing my output :)
if you have questions just ask!
and i'd appreciate your comments on the mix and master !!

UPDATED snare mix/master

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=885205&songID=7234726

about the song:

this is a recording i did with a little death/metalcore band from hamburg, germany. they are still young, so please don't judge too hard on there
playing and writing skills, hehe :)

some notes on the production:

- guitars >> ESP LTD, Line 6 Gearbox Treadplate Model , SM 57 On Axis V30 Voxengo Curve EQ matching the sound of Gojiras latest album, to get some more clarity and presence >> Quad Tracked >> C4 Multiband Compression keeping the mid-lows in place without reducing too much >> Slight Rvox Compression (works actually great on guitars.. i didnt know that) / Gate on Group

- bass >> Warwick 5 String Thumb Bass played with pick, Line 6 Gearbox Rock Classic , BX 8x10, Tube 47 Far, with the Low Mids ALL THE WAY UP :)

- vocals >> Beyerdynamic Opus 89 into TonePort UX 2 ,
add tracks: copied Main Track to left and right, low cut 500 Hz, pitch shifted Left +30 Cent and Right -15 Cent, added some slight chorus, lots and lots of Compression (Rvox, URS 1970)

- drums >> DFH Superior 2.0, Drumagog : Custom Snare Sample to give the snare a lot more presence, Kick Sample was one i found on this forum called "cradle of filth"

Mastering :

- 7,5 db RMS seemed to be enough although i know some of the bands in that genre go for - 6 db... , Waves C4 for the low end compression, Oxford Inflator (Effect 60%), Voxengo Elephant Brickwall limiting EL adding 2 + 3 db , mastering to -0.3 db headroom to prevent cheap cd players from clipping

further notes:

As i was always a fan of a nice "fat" low end in the bass guitar (around 60 Hz), i discovered bands like all shall perish leave the low end exclusively for the kick, while the bass is heavily occupied in the 120-160hz region. so i tried that very clean low end and it helped a lot for pushing the master as loud as it is.

well i hope you like it, maybe tell me what you think about it esp. the low end! do you think i overmastered this piece?

thanks alot guys! :worship:
i totally love this forum!

cheers, danny

Sounds nice dude , i feel the snare need less room sound i guess ? The kick is very direct and sounds nice in the mix, you need a matching snare to fit the "ambience" . Vocals sounds killer , impressive voice for a teenager thats for sure.
Could you post the gojira curve eq ? i`ll love to try that

thanks dude ! :)

yeah, that guy is like 1,50 m tall :-D very funny but impressive at the same time when you see him perform live.

do you think snare needs more smack? i see that the mastering was
a little too much , the transients of the snare seem toooo destroyed,
i have to fix that.

i actually have different curve eq blueprints, there you go:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8pw2kg

i tweak them to my likings, but its always a good starting point!
tried to name the files close to what they actually played on the recordings i took the blueprints from. for ex. trempicking = tremolo picking on higher notes.

hope their useful! i think gojira used jackson guitars, peavey 5150, sm 57 on axis...

This sounds really good. I think the kick is too loud, especially the click part of it. The snare sounds really good but, as Pxz said, it doesn't really fit.

edit: the guitar on the right sounds a lot meatier than the one on the left.

@morgoe : is it the room / reverb on the snare you don't like, or is it more of the character that you think is not suitable for that song? i thought such a "fat and not so ringy" type of snares would match the "slowness" of the song ?

@narcossintese : hehe, thx! :headbang:

@ deadstar : thx alot! :kickass:
do you mean i should "autotune" the german accent , harhar :-D

@morgoe : is it the room / reverb on the snare you don't like, or is it more of the character that you think is not suitable for that song? i thought such a "fat and not so ringy" type of snares would match the "slowness" of the song ?

I simply meant that it doesnt fit because the kick is really direct, and the cymbals are all from overheads, while the snare had a lot of room sound. Either everything has to have room sound or nothing. It fits much better now. I would still lower the kick, or at least the click of it. Love the sound of it but its much too loud especially during the double bass bit.

Was that a tom at 3:20?! ;p Maybe make it pop out a bit more.

FUCK DUDE!! i like th vocals!! real killer!! mind sharing the vocal miixing? m/

its actually only 1 track panned center >> used waves rvox for heavy compression + stereo delay (500ms left, ms 400 right) (5 % << yes i use it as an insert ...) + even more compression, so delay is being ducked a little, when the vocalist "sings" ;)

2 more tracks were just a copy of the Main Track , panned hard left and right, low cut 500 Hz, pitch shifted Left +30 Cent and Right -15 Cent, added some slight chorus, lots and lots of Compression (Rvox, URS 1970)

so you get a very "wide" sounding vocalsound that sits perfectly in the mix, without pushing the levels too high!

i wouldnt recommend it for "clean" singing tho...

hope that helps..