Death Remasters James? Your opinion

NightChild37

New Metal Member
Mar 1, 2006
Philadelphia
Do you know if there are any plans for the Death albums to be remastered? If so who's decision is it? James you have any idea? Is it Chuck's moms? I guess I'm trying to ask who has the rights to the music. Thanks.

Actually I looked into that. Supposedly that was Century Media Germany, but they only rereleased them with shinier artwork. The sound quality wasn't touched. I dunno how anyone feels, but a remastered box set with the story of Death (al a Black Sabbath's Black Box) would be quite a kickass purchase.

I would love to see a Death boxset with some liner notes and extras, as a tribute to Chuck and his legacy. I would get it in a heartbeat.

But, does his catalog really need remastering? Remastering these days tends to ruin the original work; pushing the peak to the absolute limit, flattening out all dynamic range, and clipping the peak waves to create an overly loud and mushy sound. For example, Megadeth's, Maiden's and Priest's remasters. Criminal butchering of classic records. Death's later records were mastered very, very well, such as Sounds of Perserverance, and don't need to be touched. The early records could use remastering if done well, by an engineer with some discernment and respect for the recordings.

I have the new Sound of Persaverance....It came with the bonus dvd, Live in Cottubus...and has new pics and whatnot...pretty cool