Death "The Sound of Perseverence" 2CD & 3CD Deluxe Editions This Month

D.Ingram

Mar 17, 2008
Sheffield, United Kingdom.
Taken from Blabbermouth:

""The Sound Of Perseverance" will be reissued on February 15 in North America (February 21 internationally) via Relapse Records. The first in a series of official DEATH reissues slated for 2011, the LP has been remastered from the original studio tapes and expanded to include previously unreleased demo material. The reissue will also include enhanced artwork and liner notes from the original cover artist Travis Smith as well as liner notes from DEATH guitarist Shannon Hamm and never-before-seen photographs from "The Sound Of Perseverance" era. A special deluxe version of the "The Sound Of Perseverance" reissue includes a third bonus disc of unreleased material and will only be available via Relapse mailorder and digitally via iTunes.

To coincide with the reissue, Relapse mailorder will also offer a "The Sound Of Perseverance" t-shirt and zip-up hooded sweatshirt featuring the enhanced album artwork."

Tracklisting:

Disc 1:
01. Scavenger Of Human Sorrow
02. Bite The Pain
03. Spirit Crusher
04. Story To Tell
05. Flesh And The Power It Holds
06. Voice Of The Soul
07. To Forgive Is To Suffer
08. A Moment Of Clarity
09. Painkiller

Disc 2:
01. Spirit Crusher - 1998 Demos (No Bass)
02. Flesh And The Power It Holds - 1998 Demos (No Bass)
03. Voice Of The Soul - 1998 Demos (No Bass)
04. Bite The Pain - 1998 Demos
05. A Moment Of Clarity - 1998 Demos
06. Story To Tell - 1998 Demos
07. Scavenger Of Human Sorrow - 1998 Demos
08. Bite The Pain - 1997 Demos
09. Story To Tell - 1997 Demos
10. A Moment Of Clarity - 1997 Demos

Disc 3:
01. Bite The Pain - 1996 Demos
02. Story To Tell - 1996 Demos
03. A Moment Of Clarity - 1996 Demos
04. Bite The Pain w/ Paul Payne On Vocals - 1996 Demos
05. A Moment Of Clarity w/ Paul Payne On Vocals - 1996 Demos
06. A Moment Of Clarity w/ Chuck Schuldiner On Vocals - 1996 Demos
07. Story To Tell w/ Chuck Schuldiner On Vocals - 1996 Demos
08. Bite The Pain w/ Shannon Hamm on Vocals - 1996 Demos
09. A Moment Of Clarity - 1996 Demos (Instrumental)
10. Bite The Pain - 1996 Demos (Instrumental)
11. Story To Tell - 1996 Demos (Instrumental)
12. Voice Of The Soul - 1996 Demos (Instrumental)
13. A Moment Of Clarity - 1996 Demos (Instrumental)

deathtsopnew.jpg

And you can stream the first two discs at http://www.facebook.com/DeathOfficial?v=app_178091127385

I have to admit, I think they're cheating like hell by putting what were actually Control Denied demos on there, but all the same - I'll have to pick this up. Also, I prefer the original artwork;

deathsound.jpg

I got mine in the mail today. The shirt looks great, and the bonus discs look awesome. I streamed a few of em on their Facebook on Monday.

Gonna listen to it in a a bit, I'll post back later with my thoughts.

I think I'd have to agree. Actually, I'm starting to like the new artwork more than the old one. :err:

Only got a chance to listen to discs one and two last night. Disc one, obviously, is fucking brilliant. Disc two was amazing as well. There are four tracks in the middle, the 1998 demos, with Steve DiGiorgio on bass. On "A Story to Tell" where it has those gaps between notes abour half way through the song, DiGiorgio bass solos like hell. It's fantastic. :kickass:

Gonna throw discs three in here in a bit, but so far, I highly recommend it.

new artwork looks way better imo. the rough edges really make it look way more ominous

Travis Smith's excerpt from the liner notes concerning the artwork :

"Redoing 'The Sound of Perseverance' cover art was something I had thought about for some time. Eric Grief, who handles all the affairs of Chuck's legacy, gave me the go ahead to do just that and I truly feel that this new cover art work does justice and is a more accurate realization of the original version."

That's just one paragraph, I'll post the rest if anyone is interested.

As for the actual music, I listened to disc three last night and it was kind of a mixed bag. First, the last four tracks are instrumental, and have no big changes from the album versions, except for "Voice of the Soul", which has drums. The first three tracks, the 1996 demos were cool, a bit unrefined, but still. Its cool to see where the songs started and the changes they went through along the way to being complete.

The middle section of the album is where all the strange stuff is.... There are two tracks with Paul Payne on vocals (No idea who he is by the way), two where Chuck sings (Yes, SINGS!) and one with Shannon Hamm singing. NONE of the vocals on these tracks sound anything like Death, which leads me to assume that these were the Control Denied demos that Dave was talking about in the first post. Not saying that they are BAD mind you, just saying that they might not be what people are expecting.

One thing I wish was a bit different..... The fact that there are really only three songs that are played most of the time. "A Moment of Clarity" is played a total of seven times on discs two and three, "Bite the Pain" is played six times, and "Story to Tell" is played four times.
The rest of the songs do make appearances here and there (Aside from Painkiller and Forgive is to Suffer, which is strangely absent from both discs) but those three seem to dominate the bonus tracks.

Regardless, I still adore this album, and the re-issue has only reinforced that fact.
10/10

Sarcasm, I think.....

Regardless, I'll post the rest of it soon. Travis Smith seems like a cool dude.

yeah it's a joke

there's a monthly article in one of the metal mags (decibel I think) called justify your shitty taste, so if I read the liner notes, maybe I'll be able to find a reason in there to justify my shitty tastes in album art

the joke being that the art is awesome, and I don't need any justification at all lol, though some people might.

Regardless, here's the rest! :lol:

"When I first learned of the the plans for the Relapse re-issue, I approached some of the people close to Chuck, as well as involved in the album itself, with the idea. If it had their blessing, I would proceed and if I felt the result surpassed the original in every aspect, I would present it to them to see if it met their approval, which it did.

This has always been one of my favorite projects conceptually, and a very important one to me personally. As time passed, some flaws became apparent to me and it started to feel as if it didn't live up to its full potential in execution, and also standing with the previous DEATH covers (that have included a few of my all-time personal favorites among them) as part of the DEATH legacy. Looking at it today, I felt the album deserved better.

The reissue provided me the oppurtunity to revisit the concept and the execution of the cover artwork and explore the possibility of reworking it. My intention was to see if it could be done better, while remaining completely true to Chuck's original vision. I hope I've suceeded in this task."

Travis Smith

Pretty cool seeing what this guy think so his own artwork. My favorite part of the liner notes.