Death Vocal Help?

BlacklightKarma

New Metal Member
Jun 7, 2004
Hey, a few friends and I are trying to start up a band but none of us can do the vocals. So I'm trying to learn how to do 'em. I'm havin' a lot of trouble. I can't get the gurgly (for lack of a better term) sound that death metal bands have. People have told me to push air out with my diaphragm but I'm not sure how. I'm really clueless now. When ever I try I get some demented growl that kind of sounds like weezing and my throat starts to hurt like hell.

If any one could post in detail of how to do death vocals, or even hardcore I'd really appreciate it.

just push your gut up and try to use a lot of your throat, make sure your throat is moist, the saliva gives it the gurgling sound...

I can do the growl thing but i can project my voice to make it sound like anything :oops:

thecrimsonchin said:
I can give a pretty good explanation, but I wanna see what mr.niel says before I say anything- maybe I can learn to sustain longer.

Please do go into detail, I'd really appreciate it.

BlacklightKarma said:
Please do go into detail, I'd really appreciate it.

K, well I just got word back from Niel, and he gave me some recording techniques, but it turns out I growl correctly so here goes...

EVERYONE can growl. You aren't born with it, and it's not really hard to learn. It takes practice to strenghten your chords a bit, and increase your sustain, but you should be able to find a growl you like within two hours if you are able to grasp what I'm about to say.

The key is to feel the gurgle in your throat, as this is what makes the sound. The proper term, is "vocal fry." Yknow that rasp you hear in metallica style singing?(think sandman) THAT'S vocal fry.

Start by talking like you've just gotten up in that morning, with a grog in your throat. Don't push much air out. Just groan, or say "oh I don't wanna get up." or something. Then use that to sing a bit. Don't push the air while your singing. The force of the air creates a clean tone, so by lightening this you make a pleasant rasp. You should really be able to get a feel for hard rock singing in a few minutes, I'm not saying you'll be in tune- but the rasp should now be there. If you do plan on singing this way, be sure to practice clean as well since many singers can't sing a clean tone if they sing this way too often. The growl won't affect that though.

Alright, here we go- take that rasp and drop down a few octaves in your voice. This should REALLY give you a feel for the growl. From here, you should be able to feel it in your throat, and learn how to control it. If at first you can't do it automatically just refer back to "oh I don't wanna get up" with very little air, and drop right back into that growl. Practice changing tones, and experimenting with octaves. Find what's comfortable for you and make use of it. It's been my experience that people tend to be comfortable with some ranges and uncomfortable with others. I know my black metal scream is pretty crazy sounding, and it's consistent in that range. My younger brother, who I taught to scream, has a low brutal death growl and his voice is higher then mine in real life- so go figure. The point is that once you feel that gurgle you should be able to experiment and feel whats comfortable. Make sure to try switching to a high(black metal sounding) octave while maintaining the rasp at least once to see if you like it. Practice when you can and soon you will be able to go longer without dryness in the throat. You should IMMEDIATELY notice that you will no longer be sore back there like it can get if you just scream as loud as you can. As long as you don't push too much air(to the point where the tone almost becomes clean) it's unlikely that you'll damage your vocal chords. In fact, it should be no problem to switch from a growl to clean singing. Practice makes perfect though, so if it's possible- try recording yourself as well, and adjusting it to the way you would like it to sound.

Hope this helps, tell me if you have any success(you should be able to get a good start to this within a couple hours). Cheers!