Deathmatch, tough one: DAVE LOMBARDO VS. GENE HOGLAN

U

Unregistered

This is

Slayer, Voodoocult, Grip Inc., John Zorn, Testament, Vivaldi, Fantomas

VS.

Dark Angel, Death, Old Man's Child, Testament, Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend, Punchdrunk

I love both, what do others think?

(sorry for all Van Williams, Richard Christy, Paul Bostaph, Sean Reinert, Tom Hunting, Nicko McBrain, Charlie Benante, Vinnie Paul, Pete Sandoval, Tomas Haake, Morgan Agren, Terry Bozzio etc. fans)

A.

Sorry gyus... you are missing something here. wher the fucking nine plains of hell is mentioned MZ? Unless he is out of contest due to the fact that he is by default the best there has ever been, exists now, will ever exist...
Let alone you didn't even mention Bob Jarzombek (Spastik ink, Riot etc...), Alex Holzwarth (Sieges Even amo), Joerg Nitschke (Soul Cages).
MZ stands for Mark Zonder (Warlord, Fates Warning) of course.
You guys ought to listen to some progressive metal before posting such threads. (NO Opeth is NOT progressive metal - though a gathering of excellent musicianship).

Progressive Metal fucking rules!

NEVERMORE ARE FUCKING PROGRESSIVE Metal for ODIN's sake (as NoLordy would say)....:lol:

That is a tough call because neither one is the best.

Sean Reinert Hasn't anyone ever listened to Cynic or Aghora? It doesn't get any better.

Bobby Jarzombek is #2. Spastic Ink kicks and they have 2 .mp3s on their website for Bobby's drum clinics. Amazing stuff. Go download them http://www.spasticink.com/ (look under Spastic Inks News)

Gene Hoglan, Dave Lombardo, Richard Christy, etc all come after that. Still great, but not the top. Mike Portnoy I would put somewhere down there, but definitely after all those mentioned.

sorry for all Van Williams, Richard Christy, Paul Bostaph, Sean Reinert, Tom Hunting, Nicko McBrain, Charlie Benante, Vinnie Paul, Pete Sandoval, Tomas Haake, Morgan Agren, Terry Bozzio etc. fans

...Flo Mounier(Cryptopsy), Yanic Bercier(Quo Vadis)...

In my opinion Flo, Yanic, Gene, Dave are the best, and that is in order by the way.
So, that's my answer to the question.

Gene hoglan for sure. Much much better MUSICIAN.

Dave lombardo is a FAST drummer, but not an exceptional musicican. (note his 'Metallica' influence: Kick, snare, kick, snare, kick, snare, kick-kick, snare... ha ha ha)

Go and buy SYMBOLIC or Individual thought patterns...

actually, Sean Reinert would fuck both of them... in the ear..!

Originally posted by The Wanderer
I dont think this is a best of the best thread. This who do you think is a better drummer, hoglan or lombardo.

hoglan gets my vote.

neither of these drummers of prog drummers. they are more thrash drummers. and both are very good at it.
What neither is prog? You are mistaken my friend. You know what? Gene audited for Slayer and they wouldn't tak him because his very technical. ha! Very technical. Lombardo surely is a good drummer, but just that! And listen to zero tolerance to be convinced that Gene is playing prog drums. The guy rules. Anyway Lombardo is nothing compared to Gene.

Of course this is NOT a BEST DRUMMER contest. But both are the forefathers of thrash and death metal drumming I guess... Of course Gene Hoglan is much more technical (Symbolic!), but especially Lombardo's work on the toms is outstanding IMO. Listen again to Ghosts Of War for example.

BEST drummer? Really a tough one. Yeah, of course fusion oriented drummers like Jarzombek (but not in Halford), Reinert, Haake, Portnoy would be high on my list.

Anyone ever heared of the young german drummer Marco Minneman? I witnessed one of his drum clinics and didn't understand aboubt 80% of the polyrhythm stuff he played. Breathtaking. Give him another decade and maybe he'll put anybody to shame...

A.