Decapitated Survives Plane Crash

Those poor fucking bastards. Some power-that-be has it out for that band.

Isn't it strange that in the 21st century issues such as 'landing gear not deploying' are valid, life-endangering aspects of day-to-day commercial air travel? o_O

gg to the pilot - that landing looked absolutely textbook.

damn, these guys are not very lucky-aren't they?
Isn't it strange that in the 21st century issues such as 'landing gear not deploying' are valid, life-endangering aspects of day-to-day commercial air travel? o_O

only 5% or so of the people that are in a plane crash die and there are still lots of planes flying around
that are 20 years old or older, that's why cheap airlines are that cheap most of the time, they just use
older and used planes, still more secure than a car ;)

Good lord someone give these guys a break. If I was them I'd never step out of the god damn house again. Van crash, plane crash. I'd be afraid the stage was going to collapse anytime I was playing!

or they are very lucky to keep making it out

that's not exactly what happened the last time though, is it? their drummer didn't make it out...

i'm glad they're ok, sucks that they had to go through something like this again.

edit. just noticed that website has an old picture of them with Vitek in it :/

that's not exactly what happened the last time though, is it? their drummer didn't make it out...

i'm glad they're ok, sucks that they had to go through something like this again.

edit. just noticed that website has an old picture of them with Vitek in it :/

true. well the rest of the band was lucky i guess. especially this time.

I would be changing the band's name to something less deadly like "Taranchula"... though they may not be superstitious

I'm fairly certain that modern jetliners are designed to be able to land safely without the landing gear extended, provided the pilot is able to put it down gently and keep it on the runway (so the plane doesn't spin and roll over). Obviously the aircraft will sustain quite a bit of damage from scraping the concrete like that, but the structure of the plane is designed to remain intact. Major props to the pilot here, it looks like he executed the landing flawlessly.

Also, the commentator on that video makes it sound as if the plane circled the airport for an hour simply in order to make continued attempts to get the landing gear down, but I would bet that the pilots already knew what they were going to have to do, and by circling, they were just deliberately burning off as much fuel as possible before attempting the landing. Landing right as the plane runs dry on fuel is actually ideal in this situation, as the potential for leaking/burning jet fuel during the landing would dramatically increase the chances of people dying. Subtract the jet fuel from the equation, and the plane is much less likely to catch on fire, which is both good for the survival of human life, as well as for the airline, who doesn't want to have to scrap a $160 million airplane!

I'm fairly certain that modern jetliners are designed to be able to land safely without the landing gear extended, provided the pilot is able to put it down gently and keep it on the runway (so the plane doesn't spin and roll over). Obviously the aircraft will sustain quite a bit of damage from scraping the concrete like that, but the structure of the plane is designed to remain intact. Major props to the pilot here, it looks like he executed the landing flawlessly.

Also, the commentator on that video makes it sound as if the plane circled the airport for an hour simply in order to make continued attempts to get the landing gear down, but I would bet that the pilots already knew what they were going to have to do, and by circling, they were just deliberately burning off as much fuel as possible before attempting the landing. Landing right as the plane runs dry on fuel is actually ideal in this situation, as the potential for leaking/burning jet fuel during the landing would dramatically increase the chances of people dying. Subtract the jet fuel from the equation, and the plane is much less likely to catch on fire, which is both good for the survival of human life, as well as for the airline, who doesn't want to have to scrap a $160 million airplane!
You sir are completely correct. Except a crash costs more something like $500M ! The most expensive part is not the plane itself, but the investigation, and also, the "compensation" for families etc. And the image of the company as well. I'm just not sure it's designed specifically for that, or at least I mean they don't need very specific modifications for a belly landing, the normal structure must be enough to support itself, since a plane is very very light in the end of the day. But they are indeed designed for many type of emergencies, for example they are designed to break into 4 or 5 pieces if possible during a ditch landing, because it's better to control it instead of having a plane explodes in 1000 pieces in the water and kill 100% of passengers.

It's very rare. There must have been a few of them, and then compare it to the number of safe flights (the usual argument). But it could have been worse. Loosing a main gear is a much more bigger problem for example (you're not gonna land smooth and symetrical). Or having only the main gear out and not being able to retract it. Also it's absolutely not "valid". Any aircraft has 2, if not 3 or 4 hydraulic systems that are idependant and redundant for the vital parts of the aircraft. On top of that, you can extend the gears manually in the cockpit by pulling handles that free the gears and extend them by gravity (but only extend you can't retract them anymore, which is the last of your pbs). So, not being able to extend them must have been a damn big issue. I guess they must have been aware that there would have been an assymetry if they extended the gears manually, otherwise they would have just pulled the damn handles and landed normally, so there must have been a mechanical/physical problems with those gears. I don't know their systems, maybe they have sensors that tell them a gear is broken physically, and in this case it's safer to keep them in and land on the belly. I can't tell, in my aircraft we don't have that but it's an older designed aircraft.

It reminded me of this one, whose woman pilot landed perfectly as well in a different but similar situation :

gg to the pilot - that landing looked absolutely textbook.
They diserved quite a few beers ! Although technically it's not in the book :)

Another "similar" and very recent landing BTW, it's even more awesomely handled by the pilots, and shows perfect self control :

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope they don't use that jet anymore.
Would you take a seat on a jet that landed on its "belly"? I wouldn't. Goddamn that thing really didn't turn into a giant piece of metal

You'd be safer on this one since they would change all the affected parts, and do a full check up of the whole aircraft, with probably new parts of fuselage etc.

Except for their drummer did die in a van crash. So..... probably not super heros. Just lucky SOB's to still be alive.

but I would bet that the pilots already knew what they were going to have to do, and by circling, they were just deliberately burning off as much fuel as possible before attempting the landing. Landing right as the plane runs dry on fuel is actually ideal in this situation, as the potential for leaking/burning jet fuel during the landing would dramatically increase the chances of people dying

That would be my guess as well. The crew did a spectacular job!