December Book of the Month - Plato's Republic

Nile577

Jun 26, 2003
Republic
by Plato (427-347 BC)

platoeh8.jpg

"Plato, finally disillusioned by contemporary politics after the execution of Socrates, showed in his writings the enormous influence of the great philosopher. The Republic, his treatise on an ideal state, was the first of its kind in European thought. For Plato, political science was the science of the soul, and included moral science. The Republic's emphasis on the right education for rulers, the prevalence of justice, and harmony between all classes of society, is as strong as its condemnation of democracy, which Plato considered encouraged bad leadership." - Penguin Classics.

The Republic is a Socratic dialogue, meaning that it expounds the teachings of Socrates (470-399 BC). Anything Socrates wrote himself has not survived. What we know of him comes from the writings of his admirers (notably Plato and Xenophon). Caution must be displayed, however, if we seek a literal account of his life, since writers frequently voice their own theories through his character or even project personal traits onto him. In the tradition of most Socratic dialogues, Plato's Republic features Socrates as the main character.

Preliminary Reading:

A short biography of Socrates

A short biography of Plato

Main Reading:

The Republic: UK USA Online E-text

Optional Further Reading:

introducingplatoiw7.jpg

Introducing Plato - Dave Robinson UK USA

Illustrations on every page, easy to read text and underlying subtle humour make the inexpensive 'Introducing...' series a popular choice amongst those approaching a thinker for the first time.

platocompse4.jpg

Cambridge Companion To Plato: Chapter 10 - The defence of justice in Plato's Republic (Richard Kraut) UK USA

The Cambridge Companion series offers introductions to great thinkers. Covering a wide range of topics from the Platonic canon, this compendium of essays is aimed at students beginning study of Plato for the first time. While buying the book might prove expensive, it can doubtless be tracked down in most libraries. Chapter 10, 'The defence of justice in Plato's Republic,' by Richard Kraut, is particularly pertinent to this text.

platoguidect2.jpg

The Blackwell Guide to Plato's Republic - Gerasimos Santas (ed.) UK USA

The Blackwell Guide to Plato's Republic consists of thirteen new essays written by both established scholars and younger researchers with the specific aim of helping readers to understand Plato's masterwork. The essays shed new light on many central features and themes of the Republic including: Plato's literary and philosophical style; his use of myths, metaphors, and allegories; his theories of justice and knowledge; and his treatment of psychology, education, myth, and the divine. Written clearly and simply, this volume is the ideal companion for readers coming to the Republic for the first time, and will also be of interest to those returning to this foundational work of the Western canon.

Plato would have been a metalhead:

"I don't know all the musical modes. Just leave me the mode that would suitably imitate the tone and rhythm of a courageous person who is active in battle or doing other violent deeds, or who is failing and facing wounds, death or some other misfourtune, and who, in all these circumstances, is fighting off his fate steadily with self-control... Leave me, then, these two modes, which will best imitate the violent or voluntary tones of voice of those who are moderate and courageous, whether in good fortune or in bad" (399a-c).

Here's a link to our prior UM discussion of The Republic, which hopefully will inspire some new discussion:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/philosopher/224164-platos-republic.html?highlight=republic

From said link:
I think the underlying structure of the most able being the ones that rule, is a common sense system and one which I wholeheartedly agree with.

To my mind, derek's statement gets to the heart (at least, one of the major arterial components) of the idea of The Republic; to wit: Those who are the general 'scape, the masses, are those who need rule - yet they are those who can not create that very rule that they need...The answer is to allow those-superior to introduce the rule.

Forgoing the question of whether or not a few can judge for the many, I think we need to ask ourselves the more fundamental question: Is there a right and proper rule to which we can and/or should hold the masses accountable.

The idea of a perfect state is rarely considered when determining what is in the best interests of the people. Most times, society recognizes the average as the standard rather than recognizing the standard in and to itself. By way of explanation, an illustration:

The average USAmerican has a weight, resting heartbeat and cholestoral level that is considered unhealthy. It is notable that the target numbers are not the average numbers. The question, to my mind, is whether or not such standards can be applied to all aspects of human life.