• Nietszche's Birth of Tragedy

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Wittegenstein's Tractatus

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Heidegger's Being and Time

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Actually, Nile577, I think you should attempt to use those recorded lectures. People cannot be counted on to buy the same book, or read the same book, but you might get them to listen to the same 2 hrs of lecture material or a reading of one of these books. Maybe get someone like a gay Englishman (there are no other kind) to read in that homosexy, purring, almost sphincter-opening diction they have.

infoterror said:
Actually, Nile577, I think you should attempt to use those recorded lectures. People cannot be counted on to buy the same book, or read the same book, but you might get them to listen to the same 2 hrs of lecture material or a reading of one of these books. Maybe get someone like a gay Englishman (there are no other kind) to read in that homosexy, purring, almost sphincter-opening diction they have.

I dont see the big deal with different editions. I think we're going to be dicussing ideasa and concepts; so, I dont think its a huge problem if a quote or reference is on a different page in a different edition.

Infoterror, are you already hitting on our new moderator?

No, but as the God fearing folks that we are, perhaps we should make a sticky about the heathen-like fags that enjoy man on man action.

The gay agenda is leading to this country's downfall. They have permeated every facet of our government system.

infoterror said:
Is it against the rules? (blinks, adjusts pink dress, votes Democratic)

Oh, you bashful love-struck romantic! Im quite happy for you! I hope the two of you marry in the verdant forests of Vermont and frolic like satyrs about the shepherd boys and pastures of England.

Attention all.

The Symposium is leading in the poll, and the poll closes in 3 days. We will begin discussion October 19 of said philosophical tome. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to contribute essays, criticisms, posts, and questions about the work.

I also remind everyone, that The Symposium is not only a philosophical masterpiece, but a literary masterpiece as well. It is not long, and it yields a lifetime of rewards and comforts. It is classical perfection.

Finally, it has been suggested that we read Nietszche's Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks after we finish the Symposium. A link can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/thenietzschechannel/ptra.html

This work, discusses pre-socratic philosophy. Demiurge has kindly posted a link to a collection of the remaining fragments of the pre-socratics, with the exception of Pythagoras. This link is found below: http://kr.geocities.com/hyun_sinnayo/presoc.htm

And for the true classicist, historian, and seeker of knowledge, Diogenes Laertius' Lives of the Eminent Philosopher, is the source for much of our surviving information, even if it was written in a story-like form similar to the great Plutarch. Here is a link to the collected works: http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/diogenes/

Happy reading.

Hey all, the good and kind Justin S mentioned this book club over on the opethforum board and I thought I would stop by. I'll do my best to participate, given my work schedule. I read quite a bit of philosophy in college even though I was an English major. The Symposium is an excellent first choice. I also agree with what has been said re: Being and Time. Essential but difficult. I would also add to a potential down-the-line-list Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit. Not an easy read but worth the effort imo. I recall also enjoying Hume and agreeing with his understanding of how we perceive phenomena.