Book Club: Update & Thoughts

Nile577

Jun 26, 2003
I think this is going reasonably well. A few thoughts:

1 - Please, if this is the case, do not feel embarrassed about contributing if you haven't read the entire book or don't have time to write an essay. For the purposes of this forum, discussion should be wide ranging. Maybe you might simply say, in general, whether you liked the text. Don’t be intimidated by wordy academic analyses (I am probably guilty of these).

That said...

2 - There is no obligation to contribute. I think I speak for everyone when I say that most of us are very busy people. Please do not take offence if someone doesn't have time to respond to your comments. There is no compulsion to read the text, nor does non-contribution affect whatever (creepy) 'standing' you have on the forum. We are here to share ideas. As an offshoot of this we sometimes meet interesting people. I would like this board to be a place one checks out of interest, not compulsion. Feel free to come and go as you wish.

3 - Some texts are going to take longer than a month to cover.

Update:

Because we took a little while to get organised, group reading/discussion will begin at the end of the first week of each month. Next month we will look at the work of the Pre-Socratics and Nietzsche's Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks. I will create a thread for these texts on November 7th.

Please share any thoughts you have below.

Well I for one am enjoying it. But thus far, only Arc150 and you have been commenting; but what fulfilling discussions we've had thus far!

I hope Nietszche will excite more interest.

And if this turns into a three man dialogue, so be it; we can tone down our level of analysis.

I, for one, hope somebody else decides to add some opinions...I can only talk outta my ass for so long :ill:

Seriously though - this is the nature of beginnings. I imagine this Philosopher forum in toto experienced the same slow beginnings. Eventually the Norse Maidens, infoterrors, demiurges and the like will swoop in to add color to humble beginnings.

That said, I too am excited to see what Nietszche inspires. I wonder, though, as long as we are to approach Nietszche, if perhaps we should start with something more readily digestible than another extended discourse (not that the presented pieces have been particularly lengthy - but in the context of net-forum-speak, anything more than a few lines can prove intimidating)?

Perhaps a few (or a single instance) of Nietszche's aphorisms would whet the appetite of some potential contributors?

--------
And that said: A three-man salon is more than fine by me...I love it.