GMD Book Club

AchrisK

Weakling
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona, USA
www.musicbuyingfreak.com
I have this idea that we should have some kind of organized book club type of thing. Just where someone picks a book and we all read it and discuss it, then someone else picks a book, etc. It could allow us to read outside of what we might typically read, and give people a chance to share books they feel are valuable. For me, I do not read much and I wish I read more, so I think it would be good for me. I am also interested to read some stuff that some of you would recommend.

===============

Here is a list of people who might be interested. Some said explicitly that they would be interested, some said they might, some just commented on the whole process. I can edit this list as people let me know if they want in our out of the whole thing or of a given book.

For the book discussion, I think whoever wants to comment first can create the discussion thread. Name it descriptively, like: Book discussion: Cat in the Hat or something.

Tentatively let's just have 1 calender month between book selections. That gives people time to get the book, read at different rates, join in discussions, and hopefully finish.

Books are selected by members. We will take turns based on alpha-numeric order of user names.

AchrisK - Book = 1984 by George Orwell, picked Oct 27, 2008...GO! Next book to be selected Dec. 1.
CAIRATH
cookiecutter
Dakryn
Einherjar86
George
Heat Mizer
howudoin1861
llamaking
MasterOLightning
mutantllama
The Ozzman
ThisIsACoolName
unknown
whiskey funeral
Zephyrus

I think there would have to be a poll...people who propose a book could post a synopsis and once four or five people put forth some good ideas, take it to a poll and go from there

I have little time for pleasure reading, and when I do it's usually relevant stuff, such as what I'm reading now: Thucydides' Peloponnesian War.

Call me when the club is reading some Shakespeare. One of the tragedies or histories plz.

I'm in the mood to read some Shakespeare but I'm too lazy to go downstairs and get the book. If someone could come over my house and get it for me I'd appreciate it.

Call me when the club is reading some Shakespeare. One of the tragedies or histories plz.

Hast thou no interest in the genre of comedy? "I had rather have a fool to make me merry than experience to make me sad."

I would definitely be interested in this, but I'm already in a book club with a small group of literature majors on campus, so it would be hard for me to keep up. However, if you decide to read a book that I've already read and I feel comfortable enough to add something worthwhile, I'll definitely pitch in.

If this were to be done in an organized manner with little or no bitching, I'd be all for this. I'm tired of the books I have which is why I haven't read anything in a couple of months so it would be good to check out some new books.

How much time would be given to complete a book before discussions start? I would be interested in this if we had say a month to read.

I was thinking the discussion could be ongoing through the book, as people are reading it. It might encourage people to keep up. But then it may also discourage people if they want to talk about a part that some people already discussed, but they have not read it. What do people think?