Books?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah I have "the complete hichhickers guide to the galaxy" which had all of the books for that series but I never finished it. I thought it was funny though. Speaking of that have you seen the movie for it yet? I think it did an alright job, it just kinda left out a whole lot of part :) but I did enjoy it. Maybe if I find the book again (I'll dust it off :D ) and start reading it again

Well, Lord Of The Rings :D

If you're into Fantasy/Science-Fiction I also recommend the Otherland-series by Tad Williams, a great mixture of fantasy/SF-adventures with enough realism to really make you think about how technology will evolve in the near future.

And: Terry Pratchett! The funniest books I've ever read...

Besides fantasy etc., I like more demanding books as well; the more philosophical they are, the better :)

I read lots, and by that I do mean lots. I mainly enjoy fantasy novels as they just stir that little creative piece of my mind in addition to being suspenseful reads.

My favourite authors are probably J.R.R. Tolkien and Robert Jordan (can't wait until the next book in the Wheel of Time comes out.) I also enjoy lots of trashier authors, like David Eddings (cheesy, but funny) and Raymond Feist.

When it comes to non fantasy novels I also like Kurt Vonnegut, and various philosophers like Sartre.

as far as books/favorite authors, I've mentioned most of them before, but:

Neil Gaiman (Neverwhere, American Gods, Stardust, Smoke & Mirrors)

Neil Stephenson (Snowcrash)...awesome complex book, written back in the late 80s i think, looking into the future of a hacker culture, the internet is much more complex (you have a different house avatar, job, etc.. in the metaverse), basically about a computer/biological/religious virus threatening to wipe out hackers, awesome read

Philip K. Dick (Anything...I've read them all)

Kim Stanley Robinson (the mars trilogy)

Charles deLint

that's all I can think of right this second...

I am definately looking forward to the Fellowship of the Ring movie, I started reading Fellowship recently (second time), and am going through it pretty fast.
I also enjoy Robert Jordan, as well as Terry Brooks who did the Shannara books. Anne Rice is a favorite as well!

I think I've talked about this book a handful of times already, but I must recommend "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski.

It's a study on the form and function of the novel. It plays with text, stylized and coloured words, endless annotations, multiple storylines, self-referencing, puzzles. It's graphic, in all regards, so not for the thin-skinned.

It's written much like a film, and is visual enough to satisfy the non-reader. At the same time, it's very literate, and will satisfy the wordiest of nerds. (me)

The original hard cover edition had 6-digit numbers written all on the inside of the dustcover. If you input those numbers in a hex-editor, it plays a 1-second clip from Poe's "Angry Johnny".. (Poe is the author's sister, and she released an album along with his book)

buy it! buy it!!

Carlos Castaneda

Don Juan ??? Nah, this is on my "to read when I'm old and there's nothing left to read" list. I'm suspicious of esoterics/new-age.

William Seward Burroughs

"Naked Lunch" is awesome. I was impressed.

Other than that, I'm getting seriously into Franz Kafka.

Plus, lots of good SF : Philip K. Dick, Frank Herbert, Vernor Vinge etc. etc.

D Mullholand

Castaneda is the biggest influence in Burrougs works.
First Castaneda book is all about taking drugs so you should like it
:D
And as a matter of fact his books are great as a story to read.

I would recomend "Cities of the red lights" by Burroughs.

Kafka is great too.

Last weekend I read Orwell's "Animal Farm"
very nice book :)
and yesterday night i started reading Andrea Haugen-"The ancient fires of Midgard"

i used to read a lot of sci-fi stuff, not fantasy though...
I loved Asimov, and I especially liked a story by Jack Vance, i believe it was sth with dragons, and though it was very trivial litterature, there were some very good ideas in it.

These days I always read non fiction: I love biographies, I read them in masses, so far this year only I've read Boris Jeltsin, Blaise Pascal, Albert Speer, Solzenitsin, Marc Eyskens (Belgian politician), Fitzroy Mclean (founder of the SAS), and on and on...

i read a lot of poetry as well though. John Keats is my favorite by far. His works are a hommage to mankind, nothing less. I never experienced anything as beautiful and as pure as his poems. Not to mention his dramatic life. Died at the age of 24 about, he got tuberculosis. He is a god.

I sound like a gay, don't I ? ;)

And I also wish to mention my personal bible: Voluspa and Havamal. the two first songs of the EDDA. The vision of the sorceress and the SOng of the highest. The first is mythologie, the second is Odin's advice to his people.

Anne Rice
Anne Rice is a favorite as well!
i dont have much money for such things as books, but i do read Anne Rice, and if books werent so damn expensive i would have read every one of hers!

and im about to start the Harry Potter thing just to see what all those damn kids are going crazy about

Originally posted by extensive desolation
Castaneda is the biggest influence in Burrougs works.
First Castaneda book is all about taking drugs so you should like it
:D
And as a matter of fact his books are great as a story to read.

I would recomend "Cities of the red lights" by Burroughs.

I know, I know, I've got some Castanediac acquaintances who are very much into this stuff... I will read it for sure, but probably in a couple of years or so. But - Castaneda was an influence on Burroughs ? :loco:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll read all of his books when I find them.

Originally posted by Hail Eris!
The Gunslinger books by Stephen King are my favorite series of books. They are fantasy in a sense. Surely not chessy horror novels. These books are the best thing Stephen Kings ever done as far as writing. If you haven't read them do so....This is not normal Stephen King, if that worries you.
The Stand by Stephen King is also super good. Epic. Begins with the end of the world.

Finally someone else who has ead these and agrees!! I have been going crazy witing for the new one. I finished Wizards and Glass well over a year ago, I think I'm going to have to re-read them all so I can refres my memory as to all the goings on....

to bring this thread back to life I shall add:

Dostoievski-Crime and Punishment,Karamazov Brothers
Mann-The magic mountain,Doktor Faustus
Jose Saramago-The gospel according to jesus christ,essay on blindness