Books?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Opth_001

Space the final frontier
Nov 5, 2001
Denver Colorado
Visit site
Well I brought you here to see what book you people like to read, and some titles of your favorite books. Well I like to read mostly fantasy fiction and every now and than some fiction books. Some of my favorite books are:

Air Frame by: Micheal Criton
Jurassic Park
The Lost World
All of the Whell of Time Books by: Robert Jordan
The Never Ending Story by : Micheal Ende

Well thoughs are some of my book. I hope you'll enjoy this thead if you don't than please don't but a post :)

well im not much of a book person, i mean i've read the hobbit and lord of the rings and stuff, as well as kids books when i was younger, and the shit they made us read at school, but i dont read a lot by choice, the only book i've actually read and really enjoyed was I AM LEGEND by richard mathesson, i read it all the day that i bought it, couldnt put it down till the end, another book i bought recently was look to windward by iain m. banks but i read through the first chapter or so and got bored so havent touched it since, keep meaning to have another look but dont really have the time. Its not that i dont like reading, its just i dont really like reading fiction, i never feel involved enough to care what happens.

This thread was done recently but ....I have recently read the funniest book i've ever read....

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

God, I could hardly read from laughing out loud. This book is great and is far superior to the movie. I thought the movie was awesome prior to reading the book. Everyone read this now.

The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson

This is my favorite book. It is the coolest book in exsistence. Everyone should read this at least once. It is unlike anything you've ever read. The book can change scenes, characters, and times in the middle of a sentence. It is crazy and very unique and very funny. Read this book, people. ( ex. at one point in the book the characters are on a ship fighting Leviathan and one of them suddenly reliezes that they are in a book.)

I second- The lord of the RIngs and the HIchtihikers guide.

The Gunslinger books by Stephen King are my favorite series of books. They are fantasy in a sense. Surely not chessy horror novels. These books are the best thing Stephen Kings ever done as far as writing. If you haven't read them do so....This is not normal Stephen King, if that worries you.
The Stand by Stephen King is also super good. Epic. Begins with the end of the world.

Yeah, this kind of thread has been done
not too long ago...but;
My fav book is "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby.
He writes the way that I think....
At the moment I'm trying to read
"Lord Of The Rings"....

I hate reading. Find it way more interesting
to listen to music and do other things....
Probably cause I haven't found many books
that fits me... I also mainly like reading about
actual things instead of made up stories...

I mostly read fantasy and sf. My favorite authors is JRR Tolkien, Douglas Adams, Arthur C. Clarke, HP Lovecraft, David Eddings, Tage Danielsson and more.

At the moment I´m reading Lord of the Rings for the sixth time. The big day is getting closer and closer...

Originally posted by svenske kocken
I mostly read fantasy and sf. My favorite authors is JRR Tolkien, Douglas Adams, Arthur C. Clarke, HP Lovecraft, David Eddings, Tage Danielsson and more.

At the moment I´m reading Lord of the Rings for the sixth time. The big day is getting closer and closer...

Yeah...Lovecraft is great. I love the way he writes.

Lord of the Rings movie :D Hell yeah! December 19th. Ive been waiting for that movie since I first heard about it in 98. I am a fan of all of Peter Jacksons work ( all but the frighteners, that is)
He is the perfect director for it. Just because Peter is behind it I know it will be great.

If you are not familiar with Peter Jackson movies check out:
Bad Taste - funny horror......He made this Movie on the weekends with his buddies in New Zealand and its what made him famous.
Dead Alive ( Brain Dead- everywhere but U.S.A) - this has the bloodiest scene in movie history in it and its halarious....imagine a lawn mower and a room full of zombies.....
Meet the Feebles- Described as the Muppets on Acid. Ive only seen it once but It has stayed in my mind forever. Very funny and very deranged. Ex. a hippo fucking a simease cat, a knife throwing alligator junkie, etc....
Heavenly Creatures- His first drama...The one that made him renouned as a director. It is about two young lesbian girls and of which brutily beats her mother in the head with a brick. A haunting film to say the least. Based on a true story.

My favorite book of recent memory is House of Leaves (See quote below! :)). Yes it's pretentious, and yes it's overambitous, but it works. Its one of the most disturbingly, intellectually frightening books ever written. A mind-fucking puzzle.
Also Chuck Palahniuk is a favorite...
I think many people on this forum would also enjoy Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (esp Satori...I think you'd love this). A ridiculously well-written novel about an unamed 15 year old kid who joins up with a group of soldiers and outlaws in the Western U.S. in 1850. The novel is about the depths to which humanity can fall, and the desensitizing effect of violence. One of the most violent, disturbing, yet incredibly philisophical books ever. Violence taken to operatic heights and grandeur...

Right now I am reading Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. It's very good. Its a cult classic from the early 80's about a family of carnival freaks, in which the parents ingest "prescriptions" of drugs and chemicals when trying to concieve children, so the offspring will end up more "special"...got a twisted streak (i know you ALL do, here)? Read this...

I am a fan of all of Peter Jacksons work ( all but the frighteners, that is)

Wow, The Frighteners is my favorite Jackson movie! I love that film. It starts off like it's gonna be some sort of Beetlejuice style comedy and gets progressively nastier as it goes along. Great effects, and it stars Jeffrey Combs who is always good value (he played Herbert West in the Reanimator movies..). It's even got the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket playing that very same role :)

Originally posted by Hail Eris!

Yeah...Lovecraft is great. I love the way he writes.

Lord of the Rings movie :D Hell yeah! December 19th. Ive been waiting for that movie since I first heard about it in 98. I am a fan of all of Peter Jacksons work ( all but the frighteners, that is)
He is the perfect director for it. Just because Peter is behind it I know it will be great.

If you are not familiar with Peter Jackson movies check out:
Bad Taste - funny horror......He made this Movie on the weekends with his buddies in New Zealand and its what made him famous.
Dead Alive ( Brain Dead- everywhere but U.S.A) - this has the bloodiest scene in movie history in it and its halarious....imagine a lawn mower and a room full of zombies.....
Meet the Feebles- Described as the Muppets on Acid. Ive only seen it once but It has stayed in my mind forever. Very funny and very deranged. Ex. a hippo fucking a simease cat, a knife throwing alligator junkie, etc....
Heavenly Creatures- His first drama...The one that made him renouned as a director. It is about two young lesbian girls and of which brutily beats her mother in the head with a brick. A haunting film to say the least. Based on a true story.
yeah i couldnt believe it when i found out that peter jackson was directing the lord of the rings movie, i mean this was the guy that gave us bad taste and braindead! its like a dream come true!

Originally posted by Blackspirit
Yeah, this kind of thread has been done
not too long ago...but;
My fav book is "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby.
He writes the way that I think....
At the moment I'm trying to read
"Lord Of The Rings"....

I hate reading. Find it way more interesting
to listen to music and do other things....
Probably cause I haven't found many books
that fits me... I also mainly like reading about
actual things instead of made up stories...

Hey Blackspirit, you might like "Fever Pitch" also by Nick Hornby. It's about his obsession with Arsenal soccer (sorry, football). I'm nothing of a soccer fan myself, but the book is just as entertaining as High Fidelity.

Originally posted by Algol

Hey Blackspirit, you might like "Fever Pitch" also by Nick Hornby. It's about his obsession with Arsenal soccer (sorry, football). I'm nothing of a soccer fan myself, but the book is just as entertaining as High Fidelity.

Yupp, I love Nick Hornby and I have "Fever Pitch",
just haven't read it yet. I was saving it for the day
he released another book, cause then I would have
one in backup. It would just be too bad to NOT have
a book by him to read....
So now I have bought his new book and will start
on "Fever Pitch" as soon as I finish lotr....which may
take a while...hehe.... "About a boy" is also a
wonderfull book by this man! :eek:)

I know, I am a dork, but I have read a bunch of sci fi by lots of guys:

Arthur Clarke - Rama, 2001 series
Tolkien - Lord of the Ring rules
Larry Niven - Known Space Ring World, etc...
Stephen Baxter
Peter Hamilton - Night's Dawn series - I know you guys will love this stuff: Combine Star Wars with Horror type stuff - really great
Iain M Banks - Culture
Frank Herbert - all Dune books are good
many others....

Now I am getting into Tom Clancy - really good techno thriller type stuff

Originally posted by MAD-Mett
Hitchhikers Guide Through the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

I love that book. I also like most of Mercedes Lackey and IT by Stephen King (no other Stephen King, I'm not sure why). I also love my Encyclopedia of the Gods, though it's more of a reference than reading.

Tolkein - The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings
Mario Puzo - The Godfather
Anything by Terry Pratchett
Weiss & Hickmann - The Dragonlalnce Chronicles

I love reading :loco:

Weiss&Hickmann-Dragonlance etc.
David Eddings
E.A. Poe
H.P. Lovecraft
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
Anne Rice

..and I'm TRYING to read Tolkien now since there's the movie coming...

justus x: You like Kurt Vonnegut? I've once read (I don't know the English name) "Slaughter house 5" (???????) and I think it was...odd....It was jumping one thing to another, and I couldn't follow the plot....But are all Vonnegut's books like that?