Recomend me a great book (non opeth thread)

I love the book: 'Red Shift' by Alan Garner.
It is one of the weirdest books i have ever read, and thats why i like it so much :)

Another favourite is 'The Cosmic Conspiracy'.

Yeah, that's right.

When they're getting up to go for a walk the alien boss guy, Exiter, says jokingly "We won't start cracking the whip on Meachum until tomorrow" to which Tom Servo adds "That's when I ram my ovipositor down your throat and lay my eggs in your chest... but I'm not an alien!"

If I may recommend my favourite piece of literature:
The Divine Comedy of Dante
It's really a poem, but it's long enough, and simple enough in terms of language to be understood.

Originally posted by Onan
Orchid:
you should try and read Beowulf, took me a couple of months to get to page 16 ;)

Hmm, sounds interesting. :) What exactly is Beowulf? I've only heard bits of information.

Well well, I found it online at www.gutenberg.net (a huge collection of old, copyright-free books. Classics.)

(P.S.; yeah, "The Lion, Witch & Wardrobe" is great!)

I'd like to recommend "A SONG OF FIRE AND ICE", a trilogy of books by George R.R. Martin:

1. A Game of Thrones, 2. A Clash of Kings, 3. A Storm of Swords

Undescribable.

Uncomparable.

If you like the fantasy fiction genre along the lines of Tolkien, try the Wheel of Time Trilogy by Robert Jordan. As of right now it is nine volumes long and I have thoroughly ejoyed reading over the last ten years as they have been coming out

Go and read "A Game Of Thrones" from George R. R. Martin. A Game of Thrones is the first novel in the fantasy series known as "A Song Of Ice And Fire".Martin is simply an amazing author; his books contain very deep and twisty plots as well as characters who have really interesting and constantly changing personailities.

Good suggestions so far!

Beowulf is fantastic, I read it while listening to OMC, for some reason. It fit. It's an old english poem about Beowulf, a hero in the classical sense. Very noble, very proud. If you know popular fantasy novels, it's the origin of the name "Wulfgar."

Inferno is amazing. It has layer upon layer (no pun intended) of information, all of which can be cross-referenced and indexed and gone back upon. You can spend a lifetime on that. I havn't gotten around to Purgatorio or Paradiso yet. They're really preachy, though.

Nick Cave's book, though I havn't read it, has been recommended to me.

My all-time favourite book and something I would recommend to anyone is Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves. It's this 700 page epic novel that redefines storytelling. Thousands of footnotes, circular text, no less than 3 interweaving stories with fantastically engaging characters. Basic plot: Thesis on a nonexistent documentary in which a man discovers that his house is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.
May not pique your curiosity yet, but I'd say look for it, and read a little bit, you might get a flavour of how engaging this book can be. Rich in every sense.

For non-fiction, I'm still halfway through "Hitler's Uranium Club" which is about the German nuclear physicists who were holed up in a british mansion right after Germany was defeated in WWII. They were secretly recorded as they discussed possible methods of building a nuclear bomb, and as they reacted to the fact that America had already done it, and succeeded. Very interesting, and far more personal than it sounds.

Anyone here read "The Satanic Verses," by Salman Rushdie? It's banned from a number of countries, and I know he has a price on his head for writing it. I've only just started it, can anyone tell me anything about it??

Hope I could be of some help!

Well, currently I am reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. A fantastic book about the frontier of America in the 1850's and how it causes the remnants of civilization's impact on people to slowly dissolve into an orgy of violence, chaos and hatred. A fantastic book, with prose akin to Faulkner and Hemingway. Excellent so far. My favorite contemporary writer is Chuck Palahniuk, who writes satirical novels that put modern day society through a ridiculously nihilistic blender. Funny and enlightening. I am always reading philosophy as well. Neitszche, Sartre, and Freud (esp. Civilization and It's Discontents) are some faves.

Also, if anyone hasn't yet, get House of Leaves by Danielewski. Some will hate it, but I love it! A puzzle box that has layers upon layers of secrets and seems to reveal more with every reread. Is there a deepe meaning to this book? I think it's about the emptiness, or non-existence, of the supposed "inner core" that some refer to as "human nature", though some will inevitably argue that it is impossible to distill a "meaning" from this crafty book. READ THIS!

I don't belive any of you mentioned H.P.Lovecraft? He only wrote novels, but if you buy one of his compendiums, you really enlighten your fantasy within the genre of horror.

Originally posted by Garm
I don't belive any of you mentioned H.P.Lovecraft? He only wrote novels, but if you buy one of his compendiums, you really enlighten your fantasy within the genre of horror.

I believe with the word "novel" you actually mean "short story". I got a bit confused for a moment :)

He's written a novel, but only one. "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward". Recommended with heart to all of you, though the short stories would be worth checking out first.

currently enjoying 'The Brothers Karamozov' by Fyodor Dostoevsky. quite the book.
Looking at popular fiction of the day, and popular music, it is shameful to see how the 'educated' people of today enjoy thier culture so simplified.
At least we have Opeth If we can consider Rachmaninov to be a conteporary musician around the same time Dostoevsky was writing, who would be the literary counterpart to Opeth? (If there is any composer who gets dark enough to make a comparison it must be Rachmaninov.)

>I believe with the word "novel"
>you actually mean "short story".

Yes, in swedish and norwegian, 'novell' means short story, while 'roman' means novel. Makes for lots of confusion.

Originally posted by brightoffski
I completed

"Also Sprach Zarathustra" by Friedriech Nietzsche
("Thus Spoke Zarathustra")

a few weeks ago.

This work is definitely for lovers of philosophy and challenging ideas. If you like Opeth I think there will be quite a chance that Nietzsche strikes a chord (excuse the pun) with you.

regards,
Brightoffski

Nietzsche is ok. He's still a metaphysician, which he likes to trash. he was important for sure. if you like philosophy, read some Dewey, Rorty, or James. Wittenstein is also a must. Not as blantly anti xtn as nietzsche (though he undermines it as truth and dogma, along with all dogma) but more practical and well thoughtout. he takes the language discussion where Nietzsche left off, and does a better job. the tractatus or the philosphical investigations are good starters though you'll probably want some cliff notes or a commentary. he's kinda difficult. I've read a lot of papers on him callling him the most important philospher of the 20th century..he's largely responsible for the linguistic shift...anyways...

Thanks for the recommendations Wanderer, :)

I am not familiar with any of the names you mentioned and it sounds like you are quite well informed in this area, so I will take a closer look whenever I have the time...

Personally, I would have thought that the mention of Nietzsche would have stirred up more discussion, but I still only intended to recommend "...Zarathustra" as an interesting read.

The reason I started reading "...Zarathustra" was because I am a huge fan of "2001: A Space Odyssey" and yeah, it has got the orchestral piece of "...Zarathustra" by Richard Strauss, so I decided to investigate.

I hadn't read anything remotely like this previously, and it made quite an impression on me. I enjoyed the passion and ferocity with which some of the sequences were written with and the whole deal of centralising his ideas around Zarathustra and the other characters. Pretty heavy stuff! :loco:

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but has anyone read anything by Neil Gaimen?

His books are awesome, IMHO, he did the writing behind the sandman graphic novels, and his novels and short stories are awesome....

Neverwhere - kind of a modern day Alice in Wonderland set in the underground of London
Stardust - more traditional fairy tal, awesome nonetheless
American Gods - His new novel, came out yesterday, I haven't read it yet....

Lemme see what else to read:

If you can find them, the Splatterpunk anthologies (I and II) are pretty cool, very extreme horror to say the least (Stories by Poppy Z. Brite, R.C. Matheson Jr., and a zillion others)...lots of extreme sex and violence

And there's Philip K. Dick, anything by him is phenomenal, he wrote the stories Total Recall and Bladerunner were based on, and alot of his ideas turned up in The Matrix...

As far as non fiction, anyone read Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground by by Michael Moynihan...pretty good good about black metal scene, lots of focus on Varg V. (Burzum)

Artwork, anyone into the art of people like Judson Huss, Brian Froud (conceptual designer for Labyrinth and Dark Crystal), Stephen Kasner (cover art for Integrity), Travis Smith....
Just a few books that ame to mind, I'll post more as they come to me...