Recomend me a great book (non opeth thread)

Hey! The Silver Sword. We had to read that for grade 8 english.

Well, I know it's probably stupid but my favourite book is The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

:D

...Geisha is a great book.

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby is cool if you have ever had a girlfriend and/or are a music fan.

I've been reading a lot of books by Huraki Murakami and Robert Girardi lately.

Originally posted by Kem
Hey! The Silver Sword. We had to read that for grade 8 english.

Well, I know it's probably stupid but my favourite book is The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

:D

sence I am in grade 9 , I have read that book , but not for grade 8 english , I took it from our school library , the last time it was checked out was 1976 , still a great book

Originally posted by justHerb
<High Fidelity by Nick Hornby is cool if you have ever had a girlfriend and/or are a music fan.>

I second the "High Fidelity" recommendation, there's just so much resemblance to most of us music fans that the book rings completely true. It's not high literature, but it is a marvelous, entertaining read.

<I've been reading a lot of books by Huraki Murakami and Robert Girardi lately.>

I finished Murakami's "Norwegian Wood," a month or so back. I loved the American-flavored style, and the beauty and texture with which Murakami writes is amazing. Plan to start his "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" in a week or two; I need to start it before college resumes again.

Otherwise, the only other novels I would recommend would be Hubert Selby Jr.'s "Requiem for a Dream," which is heart-breakingly gorgeous, and Hermann Hesse's "Siddhartha," which is probably more up your alley in context with books read at your level, warsofwinter. And that's not meant as a slight or anything, just trying to be realistic.

Paul

I finished Murakami's "Norwegian Wood," a month or so back. I loved the American-flavored style, and the beauty and texture with which Murakami writes is amazing. Plan to start his "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" in a week or two; I need to start it before college resumes again.

I read both of those; they're both excellent. Robert Girardi has this amazing ability to cover huge swaths of subject matter while retaining his own "voice."

Check out ANYTHING by J.G. Ballard. My personal favorite is a short story called High Rise. If you ever saw the movie CRASH, Ballard is the guy who wrote the original story back in the 70's. And of course the book was even better than the movie, but I will admit Cronenberg did a killer job with that movie.

I recently read MIGHT IS RIGHT by Ragnar Redbeard (Jack London). If this book had been written 100 years earlier, Mr. Redbeard would have been burned at the stake. Some of the ideas of this book were used in the Satanic Bible. Even if you don't agree with the Satanic philosophy Might Is Right is still a very important book that should be read by anyone who dares to think for themselves.

I just finished a really good book, if your into history at all. It's called "Hannibal: Enemy of Rome" by Leonard Cottrell. Really a great peice of writing that keeps your interest in the book (which is not the case with a lot of other history books in my case) Hannibal is a very interesting person to read about.

"The third policeman" by Flann O´Brien is great, had some hard laughs while reading it. And if someone likes nice fantasy, check Neil Gaiman. The novels are all wonderfully written, witty and humorous, but his Comic-Oevre "Sandman" is momumental, greater art.

I completed

"Also Sprach Zarathustra" by Friedriech Nietzsche
("Thus Spoke Zarathustra")

a few weeks ago.

This work is definitely for lovers of philosophy and challenging ideas. If you like Opeth I think there will be quite a chance that Nietzsche strikes a chord (excuse the pun) with you.

regards,
Brightoffski

I don't really read much fiction. The last book I read was "The Fascist Revolution," by George L. Mosse. As for fiction, perhaps some Tolkien or "The Dragon Circle"(consisting of "Dragon Sleeping," "Dragon Waking," and "Dragon Burning") by Craig Shaw Gardner. Although I do like fiction, non-fiction seems to catch my attention more.

I actually already plugged Hitchiker's Guide in some other book-related thread (now relegated back to the forum's page 2 somewhere... I never look there. Does anyone?). And yes, very sad about Douglas Adams. I hope somebody picks up where he left off and finishes the screenplay for the Hitchiker's Guide feature film.

ANYWAYS!

Off-topic question for you, Servo: if you've noticed by the quote I have as a signature to my posts, I'm going to have to ask if your chosen handle's first name would be 'Tom'?

(or, I suppose it's possible you might have no idea what I'm talking about...)

Since people here seem to have a pretty.. hmm, sophisticated taste regarding books (not to mention music! :D) I'm asking you to recommend me something complex to read. Something with a lot of not-so-ordinary grammar and myriads of difficult, almost obsolete words, and preferably Brittish (I just love Scottish accent :)). Sounds unusual I guess, but I'm very interested in learning English.

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
some other book-related thread (now relegated back to the forum's page 2 somewhere... I never look there. Does anyone?)

I do, but I never reply in there. If the threads are left unanswered I count the conversation finished. ;)

Orchid,
try reading Wuthering Heights. If you like bizarre accents, this one has plenty. The biography of the fellow(s) who wrote the Oxford dictionary is also quite a good read. I can't recall the name off the top o' me head, but it has something to do with 'madman'.

Off-topic question for you, Servo: if you've noticed by the quote I have as a signature to my posts, I'm going to have to ask if your chosen handle's first name would be 'Tom'?

(or, I suppose it's possible you might have no idea what I'm talking about...)

Yup, I just noticed a few minutes ago and replied about it in another topic. That line's from the The Movie when they did "This Island Earth", right?