Decent priced 'big' computer desk for musicians?

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
I hate to say I'm cheap, but I need a cheap desk. What are you guys using? Now that I have 3 pairs of monitors and a second LCD, I need more room than my walmart special has to offer. I did a search for desks, and the ones that MF and sweetwater sell are awesome, but i can't afford those suckers. Aside from building my own, what are some options?

total ghetto setup here
I bought a kitchen counter top at lowes for $60
a couple of sheets of plywood for $10 each
some rack rails from musicians friend for about $30
casters $4 each
sliding shelf rails $7

built 2 24 space racks
set the counter top on that
set up my mixer
built two 4 space racks for each side of the mixer
long sliding shelf under the counter top for keyboard and mouse
and a shelf behind the counter top for my monitor

doesnt look bad at all and it saved me some cash to buy gear

cr.gif

sorry about the spinning gif I'll see if i have a beter pic

If you go to a lowes or home depot, they'll cut plywood for you... as long as you're not ripping pieces that are less than a foot wide... I used to work for Home Depot... :yuk:
my old guitar teacher used to work at home despot and cut me deals on bathroom tile \m/:headbang:

I had pretty limited space to work with -- more available height than width or depth -- so I ended up with an Ikea Jerker. The pix below are other people's; mine has the main surface about waist high, a shelf underneath about knee high, and three add-on tiers (one more than it was meant to hold) up top. I bought a couple of add-on swivel shelves too, but haven't decided if I'm going to use them or not. Might put on an LCD monitor arm or two instead.

jerker1.jpg

65795657_e9885ccb16.jpg

6022530_a810e76835.jpg

It seems that Ikea USA no longer carries the Jerker model, but maybe one could be found on Ebay or Craigslist.