Buying a Desk (And Computer)

doclegion said:
Wow i did not know that my computer had a firewire i seriously thought it was firewire to usb.. Shows what i know.. Man what would we do without you??.. You so smart man cheers :Spin:

Uh? I was making a serious question, not bashing you or anything, as in people have mentioned that in this forum but no one had really mentioned using any kind of adapter that does that. I am curious to know about it and if it really works, not accusing you of lying or being stupid. Unless I totally didn't get your post either

And about the computer, well the problem is so far it has to be a normal "commercial" level computer because I need the help of the normal pc stores that give you the ability to pay it in 10 months as I don't have the cash to pay for one in full right now, so I'm looking at normal computers which for starters don't have a firewire input but I reckon that's not really a problem right? I can buy one separately yeah? But I'm trying to get a good enough processor that can handle the usual amp sims, live sample replacement, vsti's etc. so what kind of processors would you recommend that could handle mixing and mastering without having to freeze shit all the time? Or any other tips are always appreciated.

and I can't seem to find any helpful info around here (that isn't from 2007)

I know times are rough man but I thought you said mastered for a living or am i just crazy??

Didn't you post this before in a thread "Want a quick, easy answer from a real pro who lives off of mastering?" I would assume you used the term "real pro" in that sentence referring to yourself right??

I would think that you should know what your looking for in a computer by now but if you dont??
http://www.ehow.com/how_5236854_buy-right-computer-home-recording.html

But im crazy :wave:

I know times are rough man but I thought you said mastered for a living or am i just crazy??

Didn't you post this before in a thread "Want a quick, easy answer from a real pro who lives off of mastering?" I would assume you used the term "real pro" in that sentence referring to yourself right??

I would think that you should know what your looking for in a computer by now but if you dont??
http://www.ehow.com/how_5236854_buy-right-computer-home-recording.html

But im crazy :wave:

Are you insane? Is english your native language? I don't even get what you're saying. No I don't mix or master for a living, I have a day job which pays for this computer, the desk and everything else. I guess you're just resentful cause you made YET ANOTHER thread on mastering and got a decent bashing for it, so in the end admitted all you wanted was a book reccomendation, which you could've found in several of those threads you "searched". Anyways, thanks for your input up to now, lay down the absynthe buddy

That was probably when they were moving their store to the new mall? Cause they already closed up the old one. I did go to the new one among all the shops I went to, but I didn't see any "outlet" section, I'll have to check, thanks! I don't know about processors so I was looking for intel (i3) but is that one more or less like an equivalent? What other processor could I be looking for that would be equal to an i3?

AFAIK, It's a bit more powerful than a i3 but google audio benchmarks to make sure. This says it's 25% off in yer town. It looks like they're leaving Spain as their website is down now. Good luck

AFAIK, It's a bit more powerful than a i3 but google audio benchmarks to make sure. This says it's 25% off in yer town. It looks like they're leaving Spain as their website is down now. Good luck

Crap I'm gonna have to go there this weekend then and have a more detailed look, thanks! Leaving Spain? They just opened up this new shop like 2 months ago

The X6 will eat any i3 alive. 6 cores vs. 2? No contest, especially if you use a multicore optimized DAW (like Reaper, hint hint :D)

My Desk Build as promised! I just have to put U-Mounts under the speakers in the rack! I just cant seem to find any U-mount bracket kits, anybody know where to get some?

Attachments

• IMG00084-20110606-1449.jpg
    IMG00084-20110606-1449.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG00083-20110606-1436.jpg
    IMG00083-20110606-1436.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG00085-20110606-1449.jpg
    IMG00085-20110606-1449.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG00086-20110606-1449.jpg
    IMG00086-20110606-1449.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 11
you built that yourself? Looks super pro man, congrats! I don't even know what U-mounts are, so sorry can't help haha

So I made my final tour around the shops here and have two things in my sight, and I will buy one of them this saturday, but I still can't decide, so if anyone can help me with your thoughts I'd appreciate it.

Option 1: an Intel i5, plus a 19" monitor.
Option 2: an AMD Phenom II X6 plus a 20"

Yeah that's pretty much it. In fact the Athlon is a tiny bit cheaper but ends up being the same price cause the shop which has it charges interest cause I'm paying it in 10 monthly installments, so they both end up being exactly 600Euro (I also had to choose a smaller monitor with the i5 cause the monitors were a bit more expensive in the other place, so to make it 600 euros I chose an inch less in the monitor).

So I don't really know much about this stuff, and through google searches it seems the X6 outperforms the i5 so I might be convinced towards it, but I just wanna make sure for my audio needs it will be better than an i5, so any final thoughts before saturday are appreciated!

I don't kow much either but I'd check the models of the processors on some audio benchmarks and see. It depends a lot on the model but people say that, in general, almost any i5 is better for audio. Not for gaming, though but I don't play.

El_Gato said:
I don't kow much either but I'd check the models of the processors on some audio benchmarks and see. It depends a lot on the model but people say that, in general, almost any i5 is better for audio. Not for gaming, though but I don't play.

And I play games from 1999 so I'm not worried on that aspect :lol: yeah I'll do some more intensive research before pulling the trigger on saturday, thanks! Oh and yeah Pc City seems to be closing up for good, Went this morning, it looked like the place had been robbed, almost completely empty, and a friend of a coworker works there, it seems everyone's contract ends in July and they're all screwed after that

Thx Dan! Yeah! I designed it custom to fit my Gear and 2 screens.
Attached are the pre-laminating pics!

Attachments

• IMG-20110511-00040.jpg
    IMG-20110511-00040.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20110511-00041.jpg
    IMG-20110511-00041.jpg
    979.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20110511-00042.jpg
    IMG-20110511-00042.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20110511-00045.jpg