decent quality/affordable 8 input interface?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Hey guys, I've been looking for a bigger interface lately. I use a 2 input Fast Track Pro and I'm going to be recording my band again soon, but need something with more inputs. My friend had a Tascam US-1641 10 channel, cost is $400.

Now, I know that this is probably not a really good preamp, but I cant seem to find anything else around the same price with that amount of inputs. It's going to be recorded in our practice space, not a pro studio or anything.....

I really wanted to mic the shit out of drums....top/bottom snare/toms, back and front of kick, etc. But....that'd require about 12 inputs.

Any suggestions? Should I save up and get a good tube preamp?

It seems the Tascam is actually 14 ins? 2 are 1/4" and there are some on the rear, but with no level controls?

If you want at least 12 inputs I would budget about $1000 for anything that you aren't going to outgrow really fast.

Something like a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 + Presonus Digimax D8 would get you 16 channels of more than usable inputs for about $900 brand new, much cheaper if you go the eBay route.

so the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and Presonus Digimax D8 are basically 2 different preamps? I'm sort of in the dark about the more expensive high quality stuff.

How would one go about hooking these bad boys up together?

*scratches head*

Yeah, I'm a noob. I guess I just dont quite understand the difference between the 2 units.

Also, some interfaces are obviously better than others in some way, shape, or form...judging by pricetags.

What is it that makes the more expensive ones better? Better build/components, etc?

a Digimax is 8 preamps with A/D conversion, but no firewire interface. most often used to expand other interfaces. you connect it via ADAT or "lightpipe", which will digitally carry up to 8 channels at once (4 stereo) at 44khz. DON'T pair up a profire2626 with a digimax, as I've learned the hard way they don't like to sync to each other unless the digimax clock (inferior) is the master.

lots of us on here have gotten quite far with nothing but a firepod. in this case a firestudio with ADAT in paired up with a digimax would be a lovely choice.

Also mackie makes some 12 input standalone interfaces, that's what harvey's been using for some time now...perhaps he can chime in?