Deciphering The Enigmatic Spirit

Algol

Infidel
Nov 19, 2001
21 N Long, 157 W Lat
Visit site
The lyrics to this song are spellbinding to me. I have read them over and over trying to figure out what Spirit Vintersorg is speaking of. Well it's an Enigmatic Spirit, of course, so is it meant to remain a mystery?

THE SPIRIT:
"In heaven I am a wild ox.
On earth I am a lion.
A jester from hell,
and the shadows allmighty.
The scientist of darkness
older than the constellations.
The mysterious jinx and
the error in heavens masterplan."

What could this be? Is it "Fear" itself? Is this the Spirit of Fear of the Unknown?

Who wants to guess?

Beautiful song, one of my favs from Vintersorg. As for deciphering it, its pretty damn tough.

"In heaven i am a wild ox" its so vastly metaphorical that its hard to pin down a certain meaning. But I think you may have hit the nail on the head regarding fear. It may be about the fear inside humanity and possibly the fact it will bring us as a race to end someday, its that little thing in the back of our minds that can bring us to our knees.

Of course im scared of nothin! :lol:

i think hes speaking about the spirit of creation itself which is enigmatic since it is the first to ever existed and that part of it
that is dark...proving that nothing is perfect (its only my vision of course)

Could be the Spirit of Creation, but it seems to be darker than that. Maybe just the unknown Universe, whatever is "out there".

Oh well, this forum has been dead lately. I guess the Opeth forum is the place to be. I'm going over there with the cool kids;)

Just Kidding.

When I hear the line "A jester from hell," I immediately think of this old game whose title had something to do with "Kyrandia." The world-threatening antagonist was "Malcom, the Evil Jester."

I think the point is that the enigmatic spirit is a perpetual mystery and somewhat of contradiction. I don't think it's the spirit of creation since it seems to be destructive and predatory.... Perhaps it's the passing of time?