Decisions, decisions..

Keep in mind that no matter how much the guys in Mastadon may dig your band, they may not have much say in who gets to be on tour with them. Oh sure they can probably hook something up as far as a couple local gigs go and such but ultimately the parties responsible for paying for their tour will most likely shoot for getting a known band or two to make sure that the shows are financially lucrative for them. Unless there is something I'm missing, your best case scenario at this point would be maybe a chance to buy on to the tour. For a band the size of Mastadon, that could be a sizeable amount for you to put up since you guys don't have a label (?) backing you up. Also, even if the label is willing, the booking agent(s) are gonna have something to say about it all

^I was about to say that. I'm having a deja-vu right now as if I had read that thread a few days/weeks ago but apparently it's from today... %)

Although Mastadon may love your guys band the chance that they will just take you out on tour with a livable guarantee isn't super likely. From experience the "good for your career" tours are the tours in which a smaller band is getting the least amount of money.

So even if they are able to convince their manager and their booking agents that they want to take a relative unknown band on tour you'd be lucky to be making enough money on your guarantee to get you from show to show. That's where new guys money would come in handy, but eventually he is going to want to get it back... most likely before anyone else is getting a piece of the pie.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but it's tough out there. On the other hand though, I decided to quit a good full time job and drop out of school to play in a band with my best friends. It was the best decision of my life because I've seen a lot of places that I never even dreamed of going. And I am finally making decent enough money. But I spent a loooonnnngggg time overdrawn on my bank account eating ramen and peanut butter sandwiches on expired bread.

Guarantee? There is no such think as a guarantee! Don't take it from me, Martin Adkins said that.

However I'm quite certain there really wouldn't be a guarantee. You'd most likely only make money from merch sales. For which you will probably be required to match prizes. Of course that doesn't make it easier to sell an amount of T-Shirts that pays for the Van + Gas from one show to the next...

Touring is overrated.

If you're not into beeing stoned 24/7 it's pretty boring.

Get the Job, but definitely keep music as an important hobby.

Guarantee? There is no such think as a guarantee! Don't take it from me, Martin Adkins said that.

However I'm quite certain there really wouldn't be a guarantee. You'd most likely only make money from merch sales. For which you will probably be required to match prizes. Of course that doesn't make it easier to sell an amount of T-Shirts that pays for the Van + Gas from one show to the next...

Yup. Only way you'd be getting ANY kind of guarantee is if you have a label backing you for the tour at least partially or if you are in REALLY good with the booking agents. Even then, for an unknown band, you're looking at $200 a night maybe plus a case of beer and a case of water, maybe a dinner buy out but most likely just something from the kitchen. They will take a good enough cut from your merch (not all places) to where if you have 1 off night you WILL be hitting homie's bank account to pay to get you to the next gig.

EDIT: Oh yeah, how about when something breaks down on the van? Aside from the cost of getting it fixed you also run the risk of not being able to make it to the gig that night. You just lost ANY $$$ you could have possibly made from that show and even worse is if you were counting on it for getting to the next gig. Now you drive twice as long minus the $75 you thought you would have for fuel, you haven't showered in 3 days, your balls smell worse than your ass, you're starving cause homie is getting sick of buying everyone's dinner and he's sure as hell not gonna want to pay for all of you to shower at the nearest Flying Js

So, most everyone here is essentially saying "Give up on your dreams."

Fuck that.

Yeah touring may not be glamorous, if it was then everyone and their mom would be doing it... you have to deal with the crap that everyone talks about, but in my opinion, being on stage playing your music and having people enjoy it and singing your songs with you and the possibility of making some little kid or whatever feel better about himself because he realizes that he's isn't the only one experiencing whatever it is... he's not alone... whatever it is kids feel these days... there is no other experience like it.

If you don't have children and/or a wife, you have no real obligations... live your fucking life the way you want to... do you want to be comfortable in a job that may or may not make you happy while you think about giving up on your dreams or do you want to live each day like its your last?

Money is overrated and you only have one life to experience.

My two cents for what its worth.

I perform, write and record music because I love it... If I can live it as well. Fuck yes.

EDIT: Also, I'm normally a rational person, but when I hear what essentially sounds like "Give up on your dreams" I gotta say "FUCK THAT".

I'd say just do what your doing now and taking the time to think it all through. Nothing would suck more than to come off the tour and be broke and have no place to stay. Back up plan! :headbang: Make sure you have some form of income after the tour, make sure you can have a place to stay. Yes, touring can be fun, but you gotta think long term too. Best of luck:headbang:

Fuck that.

Yeah touring may not be glamorous, if it was then everyone and their mom would be doing it...

True however you can also at least be better prepared. No one is saying he should "give up his dreams" ... he asked cause he doesn't know what he should do and I think too many people over romanticize the idea of being in a touring band. Yes there will be some crazy shit that happens, some good, most bad. Its just a lot easier to want to pursue your dream when you're actually in a position to do so because the "throw caution to the wind success story" doesn't happen as often as we wish it did. If his band had some label backing it would make things easier, maybe not great, but easier

besides ...watch how fast one fucked up tour experience can actually ruin someone's desire to want to have ANYTHING to do with music.

'Give up on your dreams' is completely different from 'get established, have a safety net, secure what you can, and have a backup plan so that when you tour you don't run such a high risk of winding up stranded, broke, and helpless'. Try not to mix these up.

Jeff

I just got laid off from my job of 12 years about a month ago. And, as I sit back and look at the whole deal now (at 32 years of age with a house, wife, 3 kids, etc.), I am glad I took the path I did. But, I quit pursuing music as a career and still to this day kick myself about it.

Go on tour man - you only live once.

There will be plenty of time to get into a "real" job, but you're really young man - you can afford to take some time and do this.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Fuck that.

EDIT: Also, I'm normally a rational person, but when I hear what essentially sounds like "Give up on your dreams" I gotta say "FUCK THAT".

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1+1 +1 +1 +1 +1+1 +1 +1 +1 +1+1 +1 +1 +1 +1+1 +1 +1 +1 +1+1 +1 +1 +1 +1

'get established, have a safety net, secure what you can, and have a backup plan so that when you tour you don't run such a high risk of winding up stranded, broke, and helpless'.

This makes perfect sense.

I'm not getting the two confused, just calling it like I see it.

The overall tone of people's responses are coming off, to me, the way of giving up on one's dreams. Maybe I'm reading into it the way that people have expressed similar opinions to me regarding the matter.

My opinion is my opinion. He may not get an opportunity to do this again... I'm a fan of taking every opportunity available to me. Thats what my post is essentially about.

Well.....I am you 15 years later. I played in a band when I was 20, we were gigging locally and regularly, planning a Canadian tour.......and I took the job......computers too! One thing I can tell you is that there is nothing I regret more in life than that decision. And to be honest, since then, I've had countless job offers, I've moved jobs probably 6 times within the computer industry....each time getting more and more money, benefits, and experience.

Dude.....I can't stress this enough.....your 20 years old.......do the tour, play the gigs and have fun. But give yourself a time limit....lets say 5 years as an example, if shit isn't working out then look for stability. I guarantee (and this is the only thing we can guarantee) that you will find a job later in life provided you don't party too hard and mess yourself up on tour.

Now that I have a house, a wife, a kid, etc. There is nothing I'd rather do more than pack it all up and give it another go. But I have family and financial commitments. Keep in mind, humans usually live within their means, so the more money you make, the more you spend and are committed too.
Eg. I went from 20K a year to over 100K (CAD) in 10 years, and I'm in the same amount of debt....haha.....but I have more stuff.....whatever!

It's all just stuff....the only thing that means anything to me now is my studio and music (and family, of course)....more so now because I wish I'd made the right decision 15 years ago.....and to top it all off, with all those commitments (attached to the job etc.) comes time expenses.....so if you think you can take the job for stability and spend all your time making music, gigging, etc....your wrong. Within a couple years you'll probably only be able to spend 10 or so hours a week on your music......but thats just my situation (my daughter is only a year old = BUSY). Others may have different situations, but to stress exactly how much regret I have, even though I love my family, sometimes I look at my wife and kid and just wish it was just me so I could spend more time on my music........I know that sounds bad, but if I gave it a chance 15 years ago, I would KNOW I gave it a fair shake and things would be different.....Life experiences make us stronger......your faced with the best life experience imaginable!

Best of luck to you!
Cheers!

I'd take the tour, but...don't get blinded by mastodon saying you're great or whatever, a tour needs lots of money, not to set it up, but to actually eat, gas, strings, sticks, etc.

My advice is that you'll only live once, do what your heart tells you, but be aware of the money you need in the bank just to "starve" while touring ;)

Dude, you're 20 fucking years old. Are all job offers going to suddenly disapear if you actively persue music for a few years? I can almost assure you that if you take the security route, you'll start feeling all snug and safe, and never have the balls or the time to do any serious touring. You may live to regret either decision, but I think its safer to say that shelving the touring plans would spawn more serious long term regrets than shelving the job.

Picture yourself 5 years from now on either path, both in worst case scenarios.

1. You decide to persue the band thing. Nothing comes of it, you rack up some serious debt, you have some horror stories from being on the road with your best friends (maybe you lost a couple through arguments), and maybe its harder to find a secure job at that point for whatever reason when you finally do quit the band, and you end up on enemployment feeling like a loser.

2. You decide to take the job. You make a shit ton of money and have benefits, but you still rack up some debt, have far less time to devote to music even as a hobby because you have more responsibilities, maybe a house payment and a wife and kid that may absolutely ensure you can't tour. The worst part is, metal still is a huge part of who you are, so while your wife is listening to fucking Lady Gaga or some shit in the car, your headbanging days are reduced to putting on some death metal record she hates in a room in your "alone time". You go to concerts still when you can afford to stay out late, and watching the bands up on stage, while still enjoyable gives you a sickening knot in your stomach, because you're staring at the choice you could have made. Sure there's no guarantee that you would've made it that far, but you'd NEVER know because you never gave it a real serious push. You didn't exhaust your efforts. Then you go onto the sneap forum and make excuses why being in a touring band would suck and you're glad you quit persuing it, even though you're really just lying to yourself. (This is pointed at myself, referring to things I may have said in the past, not at anyone here telling him to go with the secure route).

To me, one decision seems to be a lot more permanent than the other.

I gave up on the band thing to try to sort of "grow up" and find a career. I regretted the fuck out of that decision, because I never ended up finding a career path I wanted to persue and just had an emptiness where music used to be, and AE shit and my solo projects did not even come close to filling it. I missed everything about being in a band, and even posted a thread or two here about being depressed about giving it all up. I even cried at night a couple times because I felt like I gave up on my dreams.

Luckily for me, my former singer joined a local band that we used to play gigs with, who already had a record deal, and when their bassist bounced, my friend asked me if I could fill in on a tour, and I ended up taking a permanent position in the band. Things still have yet to pan out, and I'm as broke as I've ever been, but I've already accomplished many of my lifelong music goals since I joined the band less than a year ago. I toured across the country (and had a shit ton of fun despite the van troubles and 16 hour drives and playing for 4 people at some places), I got to write a bunch of music for an album that's set to be released nationally, I signed a recording contract, I got to be in a music video, and I'm building memories I'll cherish forever. I'm broke a lot, but I'm much happier than I was when I was bandless and making decent money.

All of it was possible only because I didn't have a steady secure job to hold me back, and my fiancee is totally supportive of me and gets turned on when she sees me on stage (bonus!).

When you make your decision, make sure you consider which will lead to a more permanent situation. You can always quit a band at any time to look for a nice secure job. You can't just quit a nice secure job to go on tour with a band you may not even have in a few years.

My too scents.

have far less time to devote to music even as a hobby because you have more responsibilities, maybe a house payment and a wife and kid that may absolutely ensure you can't tour.

Only if he chooses to have a wife and kid any time in the next 5 years ... no one says he has to do either

The worst part is, metal still is a huge part of who you are, so while your wife is listening to fucking Lady Gaga or some shit in the car, your headbanging days are reduced to putting on some death metal record she hates in a room in your "alone time".

Only if he marries a chick like that, again, that would be no one's fault but his own

and my fiancee is totally supportive of me and gets turned on when she sees me on stage (bonus!).

Why is it in this scenario he ends up with the Lady Gaga metal hating wife and you have the "gets turned on watching you play" Fiancee?

Again there is a really important part to this whole discussion that keeps getting skipped over:

The fact that he is not sure what he wants to do and also the bigger fact .... this whole topic hinges on a possibility of a Mastadon tour that they have a large chance of NOT being able to do

I think anyone in the "take the job" category isn't trying to tell him to give up his dream, or anyone else for that matter. Just trying to make sure both potential sides of the story are represented. Of course he could probably find a good job after all is said and done ... IF he were to say fuck it and take part in this tour ... IF his band is even able to due to the reasons previously mentioned. Again, if there was a demand for his band to be heard as part of the tour, and other very crucial bases were covered, I'd be the 1st to say "give it a shot" ... for myself, I'm just pointing out some rather obvious facts that can be overlooked sometimes in the excitement at the thought of going on a good tour

2. You decide to take the job. You make a shit ton of money and have benefits, but you still rack up some debt, have far less time to devote to music even as a hobby because you have more responsibilities, maybe a house payment and a wife and kid that may absolutely ensure you can't tour. The worst part is, metal still is a huge part of who you are, so while your wife is listening to fucking Lady Gaga or some shit in the car, your headbanging days are reduced to putting on some death metal record she hates in a room in your "alone time". You go to concerts still when you can afford to stay out late, and watching the bands up on stage, while still enjoyable gives you a sickening knot in your stomach, because you're staring at the choice you could have made. Sure there's no guarantee that you would've made it that far, but you'd NEVER know because you never gave it a real serious push. You didn't exhaust your efforts. Then you go onto the sneap forum and make excuses why being in a touring band would suck and you're glad you quit persuing it, even though you're really just lying to yourself. (This is pointed at myself, referring to things I may have said in the past, not at anyone here telling him to go with the secure route).

:lol: Holy shit dude.

OR...

3. You take the job, spend your money responsibly, save a ton of it, start a band, write some kickass fucking music, finance the full scale totally professional recording/promotion of your CD, and instantly get a huge leg up over everyone else. When you have an opportunity to do a big serious tour, you take a few months off of your job -- or quit and find another one afterwards, which is an option because you spent your money responsibly and have a lot saved.