Decisions, decisions..

I haven't read everything but if you're worried about a job with beni's at 20 you should probably just take it b/c I don't personally know anyone who doesn't have to constantly make decisions between comfort/security/normalcy and being in a band and I know some pretty famous people.
If you want to do it, throw your stuff in your parents basement and go on tour and be prepared for a lot of time in a van with un-showered dudes eating lots of waffle house and negotiating toilets you will get crabs from.
If sitting in an cubicle sounds more awesome then go do that.
(However, the notion that you'll be "set for life" at your first job is about as realistic as the notion that "the band's gunna make it" BTW.)
But jesus, you're 20 years old. LOL @ your life crisis when you aren't even old enough to buy beer.

:lol: Holy shit dude.

OR...

3. You take the job, spend your money responsibly, save a ton of it, start a band, write some kickass fucking music, finance the full scale totally professional recording/promotion of your CD, and instantly get a huge leg up over everyone else. When you have an opportunity to do a big serious tour, you take a few months off of your job -- or quit and find another one afterwards, which is an option because you spent your money responsibly and have a lot saved.

I really doubt that....I spend my money really responsibly and that is just how it works....people live within their means (to a point....unless your filthy rich!).

So we have 2 cases here.....point #2....which is more likely....or point #3...for a 20 year old HAHAHA!

Dude here is that fact....if you have a full time job your going to buy a house, condo, or rent = expenses. Your going to buy, or lease a vehicle = expenses.....your a fucking dude, so you want to get layed....one night stands only last for so long until a girlfriends in the picture....she may love metal, she may hate it.....its still a girl that wants most of your time devoted to her.....how much money do you have left for gear? and then professional recording/promotion.....how much time do you have left for doing this?....remember you have a full time job, and a girlfriend or fiancée.

I highly doubt this guy is going to work a full time job while staying in his parents basement and save every penny.......

Fyi I'm not part of the fuck your dreams crowd. ;) I was just trying to point out some things about touring that might be relevent to the OP.

I know a band that decided to move to another country to try and make it there. Next to their appartment was an open air pool. Admission was 1 Euro and they'd still climb the fence in order to save that. At times all they would have to "eat" was Coca Cola cause they got a lot of that stuff for free.

One of the guitarists had a good job that he gave up, left his girlfriend behind and stuff. The band released one or two albums to date and played shows regularly. However they still didn't have a real breakthrough. After one or two years said guitar player didn't want to take the shit anymore and quit the band. He's got a good job now (he got a degree before he left) and lives with the gf a few blocks away from my place. Btw he got the job (sales, kind of I think) despite piercings and a tattoed arm. That could be the OP's story...

Btw Gavin could probably tell a success story about being in a band and touring. I recon he needed a lot of money for it but I still think the band kinda went from Zero to quite something. I'd be curious to hear a little more from him as well so hopefully he'll chime in with some more detailed posts.

I really doubt that....I spend my money really responsibly and that is just how it works....people live within their means (to a point....unless your filthy rich!).

So we have 2 cases here.....point #2....which is more likely....or point #3...for a 20 year old HAHAHA!

Dude here is that fact....if you have a full time job your going to buy a house, condo, or rent = expenses. Your going to buy, or lease a vehicle = expenses.....your a fucking dude, so you want to get layed....one night stands only last for so long until a girlfriends in the picture....she may love metal, she may hate it.....its still a girl that wants most of your time devoted to her.....how much money do you have left for gear? and then professional recording/promotion.....how much time do you have left for doing this?....remember you have a full time job, and a girlfriend or fiancée.

I highly doubt this guy is going to work a full time job while staying in his parents basement and save every penny.......

Is it really better than some minimum wage job and a full time band?

Matt, you've completely misread what Uladyne was saying - he told to the guy to imagine the worst case scenario of each as a means of deciding which to go with, not imagine the best case scenario of both combined like some 12 year old kid would dream up as a legitimate option.

I say tour... but try to take some online classes or something and at least get an AA. You're gonna need it when the job market picks back up if/when your band doesn't make it. Not to mention... I'm just a way better person than I was before I went to college.

Matt, you've completely misread what Uladyne was saying - he told to the guy to imagine the worst case scenario of each as a means of deciding which to go with, not imagine the best case scenario of both combined like some 12 year old kid would dream up as a legitimate option.

I say tour... but try to take some online classes or something and at least get an AA. You're gonna need it when the job market picks back up if/when your band doesn't make it. Not to mention... I'm just a way better person than I was before I went to college.

:lol:

All my friends are coming back from their first year of college, a lot of them are fat, broke, or just too crazy from all the constant partying.

Anyways, I say choose the band.

Personal Fulfillment > Money

All my friends are coming back from their first year of college, a lot of them are fat, broke, or just too crazy from all the constant partying.

Yeah, I guess I might be an exception to be honest haha. I've lost rather than gained the traditional freshman 15, have made more money than usual this year from audio work, and still party a shitload. :headbang:

Why is it in this scenario he ends up with the Lady Gaga metal hating wife and you have the "gets turned on watching you play" Fiancee?

Because I was setting up a worst case scenario, as Jeff pointed out, while trying to remain somewhat realistic.

For the record, my Fiancee still listens to Lady Gaga and things much worse, but she also doesn't mind when I blast Bloodbath in the car, so things still work out, haha.

Well a few things, my parents are giving me their house this summer for my band to move in.. with the mortgage and utilities its about 1000 bucks a month, there are 6 of us including the rich dude who offered to pay for the house till the end of the year. My parents also gave me a Jeep, insurance is like 600 bucks a year.. I also get 500 bucks for being a Native American every year. Also, I plan to do the recordings for the band, the only thing I'm not good at is mastering which isnt that big of a deal. our guy knows some people and deals with that.. we do everything we can by ourselves to not depend on other people and money to get shit done. I'm thinking of taking the job, saving money, doing the band thing until something big happens then quitting.. I can finish my Associates in Computer Networking by the end of next year online and I should be ok after the whole band thing dies off (if it does). Lol @ Lady Gaga.. I'd shit if my girlfriend/wife didn't like metal. Thanks for all your input, I was kind of in a slump about it for a while but I'm out and feeling better about everything and YEAH!! writing for the 2nd album and cant fucking wait.