Decisions

BL1NDSIDE-J

Dec 19, 2010
Lately I've been doing alot of reading trying to decide what equipment I should buy in order to get a good jump on things. For awhile I was thinking about an RME Hammerfall pci card which would have all the features I want but the only problem being that a good a/d/a converter seems to be well out of my price range. So I've kind of honed in on an 8 channel firewire setup. So tell me if you guys think this setup will be a worthwhile investment because I want to get it right the first time without having to rebuy anything.

DAW - Reaper
Interface - Mackie Onyx Blackbird (It seems to have all the right features and input monitoring which is good right?)
Monitors - Yamaha hs50m

Any suggestions about good mics I could use to record vox and aqoustic guitars with would be appreciated also. Thanks in advance.

Seems to be a pretty good start. As far as mics, you would be fine starting with an SM57 and a decent condenser. There are plenty to choose from and you can find a pretty decent one in around the 2 to 3 hundred dollar range. I have an AKG C2000B that I got on sale at guitar center a while back and it's pretty versatile.