Defretting your bass

Eric, you had a reply for me which I read and replied. But it's missing, I hope you read that. But anyway, let me say it once more. I have no critisizm whatsoever for you. All I am trying to say was some of your insane riffs makes a little superficial impression on me. But hey, what do I know. Since you say you play with the music, all thumbs up for you. I enjoy your playing no matter what. Looking forward to a CD with Eric Tiwaz on bass.

Cheers.

I Thought Tyr's real name was Jon Erik Torgersen, or so I was led to believe. That's cool though that you replied to this forum. Haven't you also been in other bands besides Borknagar. I remember reading you were in Emperor too at one point. Also some bands called Grail, Morpheus Web, and Perished. It's still awesome though. I listen for bass in any music.

erik played as Tyr with emperor as a touring bassist, and can be found (sort of) on the emperial live ceremony cd. though trust me, bass isn't easy to come by in an emperor album.

Pulling frets out with any tool i found can lead to a lot of problems. Ive used a car battery in the past or any other electrical source that will produce a high current and simply put a wire at each end of the fret. It will cause the fret to heat up and with a little time pop out. I have done this in the past and it has proved much easyer than trying to pull frets out.

I de-fretted my first bass recently and totally ripped everything out.I'm in the process of re building it.My Dad, who's an engineer, made a nut for me and it sits low down so you get a lot of play in the strings so it sounds like an upright.
I only just dicovered sdg had a forum here I'm made up now.

True man! Lowering the nut is a good idea (but beware in the studio!)...also if you can get the bridge to get a little lower now too it'll go from upright sound to sitar sound. I haven't ever taken frets out, but I have replaced the neck from fretted to fretless. So I've noticed the lower the nut/bridge combo is the cooler it sounds; and the more noises you find in the studio. I've just learned to work those noises into the music instead of rasing the action. Don't use too fat of strings either, they clank and buzz around a lot.
Anyway, let me know how that works out for ya. I suppose this isn't your "main" bass...experiments are meant for the "backup"...right...!?!
SDG

The new mono-rail style bridge which changes from freted to fretless soundsing by Neuser might be worth a try before exptarcting frets.

yikes, old thread (but good). anyways, i was preparing to defret my guitar (not bass!) so i'm glad that someone ressurected this thread. frying the frets with a car battery? hey, whatever works.

Cheers Steve.I find I can get a nice classical vibrato out of it without causing too much friction on the fingers.Good idea about the bridge too I'll have to try it out.
I used to get a nice sitar type sound out of one of my other basses which i have tuned like a cello c,g,d,a,I like the way the g rings out, for some reason i like to play in g a lot.
My main bass is safely out of the way of any experimentation.If i messed it up I'd get a nice arse kicking from my fellow band members.

That mono rail is a cool stuff but only if you like that precise-BUT-fretless sound.For example I use quarter-intervals and somethin like that cannot be made with this machine (because its still fretted).Although it sounds....well... like warwick... whatever that means :)
About that lowering... Ive got about 2 mm from string to fretboard and it sounds like a classical double bass (with max bass on) but sometimes(with trebble position knob) it sounds like a music-man-flea -type of sound .Very loud and middle -high aloquotes with no sitar sound ,and thats a bit weird...
anyway ,cherrs Everyone ! :)