Deftones Cover

D20

May 19, 2008
Hey everyone,

Well i haven't had a whole lot of time to sit down and record anything (been studying for a Microsoft Certification test a lot lately...), but i thought i would go back and re-do this song with the Axe Fx. This is one the more high energy songs from "Around the Fur" not to mention one of my all time favorite Deftones albums. All guitars were a modified version of my FAS Modern patch. Bass was my usual Axe, Sansamp, SVX combo and drums were Superior 2.0 Avatar kit, but with a kick from The Metal Foundry. Hope you all enjoy it. As usual I would love to hear if you like it or don't like it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=785666&songID=8148771

That's one of my favorite albums. I really enjoyed this.

I think the original guitars had a bit more of a "room reverb" sound on them if you wanted it to be slightly more accurate, otherwise, I enjoyed listening quite a bit. :)

Sounds really good, love the drums and bass.

Bass is a touch loud, and overall its kinda mono-centric? Is that even a word? Like, most of the sound is i nthe centre channel (even cymbals arent very wide), guitars are soft and all the guitar effects are centred as well. Try playing around with some of the panning, upping the guitars a touch and lowering the bass.

That's one of my favorite albums. I really enjoyed this.

I think the original guitars had a bit more of a "room reverb" sound on them if you wanted it to be slightly more accurate, otherwise, I enjoyed listening quite a bit. :)

Many thanks! :)

Not a perfect replica of the original but very cool non the less

Thanks for listening and the comment!

Sounds really good, love the drums and bass.

Bass is a touch loud, and overall its kinda mono-centric? Is that even a word? Like, most of the sound is i nthe centre channel (even cymbals arent very wide), guitars are soft and all the guitar effects are centred as well. Try playing around with some of the panning, upping the guitars a touch and lowering the bass.

Cool. Thanks for the advice.
I've actually heard that it is rather "centered"

I'm not sure what i am doing to make it that way, but i'll see what i can do to make it a bit wider. :)

You did a great job!! Much better than the pod version (correct me if I'm wrong,I think I listened the same cover from you with pod?). Can you share info about the bass (eq,comp,whatever)?

Many thanks for the comparison to the Pod version! :)

Yeah i recorded it before using my Podxt, but i haven't touched it since i got my Axe Fx.

The bass was tracked with three tracks of bass using my Spector 4LX. One track was my Axe Fx bass patch, a Sansamp track, and a direct track that i used SVX on as well. I HP and LP each track to fit the bass mix as a whole. Other than that i just EQ'd and compressed each track within cubase 4.

Thanks again for listening and the comment! :headbang: