Deftones Slam Metallica

Valofvalhalla

Cessation Of Life
Mar 28, 2002
www.cessationoflife.com
Deftones frontman Chino Moreno spoke to Revolver magazine about the group's stint on the upcoming Summer Sanitarium trek. "A big problem for me was opening for Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, two bands that wouldn't exist if it weren't for me, straight up!" the singer is quoted as saying in the magazine's August 2003 issue. "But in the end I'm seriously energized and I'm not going out there to make friends and kick it."
Regarding the tour's headliners, Moreno said, "Metallica have a vast catalog. But live? Motherfuckers just stand there and play. We're gonna rock out their shit. We're gonna blow that motherfucker up."

In the same interview, Chino talked about Deftones' lyrical approach and took an opportunity to slam Korn frontman Jonathan Davis, saying that "As [KORN] go on, it's the same things — bad childhoods and mean moms. It gets old after awhile. How old is Jonathan? Thirty years old? How long has it been since he lived with his parents? Try to go somewhere else. If you're genuine and write about whatever is drawing the emotion now, you can't be fucked with."

Personally, I can't stand the Deftones so I really dont care. This post is just for all the metallibashers anyway. lol

Source: blabbermouth.net

Chino is NOT a jackass...and that St Anger song is a joke! It starts out with some promise...but then the singing starts....
pukeface.gif

Al's really kind of a crackhead lately...it's like he's trapped in the early nineties or something. I can't remember where I found this interview, but he was so deluded about Ministry's level of success and what else was going on in music.

Either way, this Deftones guy is really arrogant here.

Pyrus said:
Al's really kind of a crackhead lately...it's like he's trapped in the early nineties or something. I can't remember where I found this interview, but he was so deluded about Ministry's level of success and what else was going on in music.

Either way, this Deftones guy is really arrogant here.

Yes, Al is completely nuts as well as an admitted drug addict. I only like him for his guitar playing and songwriting. I should put him on my list for "honorable mention" riffsters.

Chino is a trip. Chuck's not related to him, if y'all were wondering :p.

Chino is one arrogant bastard. I don't really care for the new single (stanger) either. MI is right, the music sounds like it's "ok" until James horrible singing F's it up. You can really tell the times have changed for me to say that. I used to worship Metallica back in the day , now I can't stand james' singing (eeeyahhh , yeeeeah , baybay!!!) ....

TL -- Which one of the Deftones is CB related to ?

I finally watched the video...the chorus is really lame, I agree. The "Feel my world shake..." bit is badass, however; great vocal harmonies. Lars's drumming is shockingly good, and I really don't have that much trouble with the production...no worse than Justice. Apart from that, St. Anger is pretty disappointing...nowhere near as good as Frantic. The thing to remember, though, is that this is the "single"...it would be like judging Justice entirely on the merits of One, or The Number of the Beast by Run To the Hills alone (which is good, but doesn't show the greatness of the album), or Dead Heart In A Dead World by Believe In Nothing, or...well, you see my point. The best songs are usually not released as singles.

Immortality said:
So you believe that The Deftones can blow Metallica away live?
I never said that.

I've seen them both live. The Deftones put on a really great show, and back in the day there was no one who could touch Metallica live...I saw them for the Master of Puppets tour, the Justice tour and the Black Album tour (all at least twice) and they were the BEST live band out there. I haven't seen them in close to 10 years so who knows, I know Jaymz's voice isn't half what it used to be and without Jason there are no more awesome growly backup vox...soooo....I have my doubts about the new Metallica sound. I'd definitely rather see Deftones present day..because I know Metallica will be playing crap off of the loads and St Anger...yuck!

AND has anyone noticed the shitty production on St Anger? GAWD the drums sound horrendus...click click clickity click....what's the matter Bob?

Oh yea...and pyrus...believe me...there is no one on this board who wanted this new Metallica to own as bad as I did. I used to worship them. To me they were gods! Jaymz wrote some of the greatest lyrics out there and ...well...shit...they were Metallica! The day I got to meet them will still be one of the greatest moments of my life...I'm just so disapointed...I can't even explain to you the sadness all of us who were there when they came rising out of the SF underground and who were absolutely blown away by what we heard..to us they were a great big F* you to the mainstream crap that was force fed to us on a daily basis..EVERYONE who loved metal loved Metallica..now they are doing exactly what they proved to the world didn't need to happen...they got big without being radio friendly and were totally against any of that...now look at them...were not hating...were just really bummed (to put it mildly)

I actually kinda like the Deftones- they are by far the best nu-metal band the singer is pretty good and conveys alot of emotion.

The dude from the Deftones makes some good points about, Limp Bizket- Linkin Park and korn- just why the hell are they on the same tour as Metallica- other than so Metallica can make more money?

I wouldnt be surprised if they were better than Metallica either- I saw Metallica on tour I guess on the Load tour- they sucked ass- the last straw was a terrible cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd- I swore I would never see them again. Kirk and Lars have been pretty lazy for the last 10 years with their music.

The new deftones is by far the best radio album out there right now. They do not deservr to be classified as nu.......they are soooooo much better than that. By the way........whats wrong with a little arrogance from Chino??? Metallica is the definition of arrogance.....and they definitly have no reason to be anymore. Metallica is a waste of any real metalheads time. This didnt used to be the case but.........

"But live? Motherfuckers just stand there and play"

Yeah and Death didn't exactly move around a great deal when I saw them. That shit doesn't matter. The music is what counts. Everything else is artificial. Chino is right up there with Chuck Schuldiner. Ahhhhh hahahahaha. Not even close. You can run around on stage, headbang and do all the stupid shit you want. If the music sucks, it sucks and there's not much you can do about it. I'd rather see a band play GOOD music and not move at all then a shit band have all the energy in the world and play garbage like anything i've ever heard from those deftones dudes.

Chino Moreno is a shithat, a moron, an obese jumpcore disgrace to traditional metal. His band, the Deftones are shitty muscians and never had any musical talent whatsoever...They call themselves metal, they will never be metal, and Chino should never compare the Deftones to a metal band, like Metallica. St. Anger is horrid, but Metallica as we all know, made 4 classic intricate metal albums that just devaste Deftones material. Chino should be miserably guilty, not proud, for particialy creating the genre of shit nu metal that has turned over many kids. I pray for the worst to happen to the Deftones when they tour.

Valofvalhalla said:
Deftones frontman Chino Moreno spoke to Revolver magazine about the group's stint on the upcoming Summer Sanitarium trek. "A big problem for me was opening for Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, two bands that wouldn't exist if it weren't for me, straight up!" the singer is quoted as saying in the magazine's August 2003 issue.

What a fucking loser! I hate this band and ANYONE who uses the term "straight up" What a fuckin wigger!

Fuck Chino. I'm sorry, Metallica may be shit now but when they hit the stage and play Hit the lights, Damage Inc (*crosses fingers* I heard they played it at Fillmore), and The 4 Hoursemen, I'd like to see the deftones touch them.

@BeyondtheUnholyGrave - Stage presents adds alot more intensity to a show, Look at Arch Enemy.

MindInsane said:
and back in the day there was no one who could touch Metallica live...NO SHIT!!!!

they were the BEST live band out there. I haven't seen them in close to 10 years so who knows, I KNOW!!!!!!!!! MIND, THEY STILL FKG ROCK HARD LIKE THEY DID 10 YEARS AGO, I'VE SEEN THE LAST TWO SHOWS HERE AROUND L.A. SHIT, WHO COULD FORGET PAYING $175. FOR 10 ROWS BACK. STILL BROUGHT MY BINOCULARS. THERE AREN'T MANY BANDS OUT THERE NOWADAYS THAT SOUND AS GOOD LIVE AS THEY DO FROM THE RECORDING STANDPOINT.

I know Jaymz's voice isn't half what it used to be...STILL OKAY, JUST DON'T LIKE THE COUNTRY TWANG HE PICKED UP FROM THAT COUNTRY SINGER HE WAS HANGING OUT WITH DURING THE RECORDING OF LOAD. THAT ARTICLE WAS IN RS.
AND has anyone noticed the shitty production on St Anger? GAWD the drums sound horrendus...click click clickity click....what's the matter Bob?

I used to worship them. I STILL DO! ;) To me they ARE gods! Jaymz wrote some of the greatest lyrics out there and ...well...shit...they were Metallica! The day I got to meet them will still be one of the greatest moments of my life...HERE HERE!!! YOU GOTTA TELL ABOUT IT.

were just really bummed (to put it mildly) I THINK YOU HAVE CLASS WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIPS :)