Degree Absolute review

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
The Degree Absolute album coming out on Jan 31 is absolutely amazing. I loved the track at lasercd right from the get-go but was slightly worried the rest of the songs might not be up to par with it. Guess what, they are equally amazing, if not better.

Degree Absolute plays technical prog metal (mixed by the godly Neil Kernon) and evokes bands such as Zero Hour, Control Denied, Dystrhytmia, Meshuggah, and even Ulver. The singer has a very unique style and may need a couple spins to grow even though I liked his voice immediately.

Not the whole album is mindless technicality, and perhaps that's why I'm so psyched about the disc. This band knows when to employ dark ambient sections with spooky soundscapes and beautifully grey fusion acoustics. The bass is loud and heavy all the way. Not much keys here, but when they're used, they kill. The soloing is kept to a minimum but Aaron Bell is one of the most melodic and haunting players I've heard recently. There are also several instrumental pieces here.

I reviewed the album in detail at:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=3208

So check it out if you want a more detailed description or go to the band's website.

This is a guaranteed Top 10 disc for 2006 for me. Yeah I know it's early, but I'm absolutely floored. In fact January has been a great year. The new Devin Townsend slays too, as does the Bloodbound album, although I've never been too big a power metal fan.

NP: Degree Absolute - s/t