Delain's "We Are The Others"

miel

Mrs. Harvester
Staff member
Feb 17, 2009
Delain announce single title and meaning behind the track.

-Official Press Release- Dec. 22, 2011

A lot has happened in the DELAIN camp since the Dutch band thrilled the masses with their second album “April Rain” in 2009. After a highly successful European Tour, followed by the enthusiastic reaction to DELAIN's North/South American Tours – it´s clear that the pure energy of their live performances have heavily influenced the new material on their long awaited third long player. Delain have taken the time needed to hone this to perfection and the outcome: We Are The Others – is the most powerful, most atmospheric and intoxicating DELAIN album to date.

The band spent most of last summer with star producer Jacob Hellner (Rammstein, Clawfinger, Apocalyptica ...) in his Stockholm studio, taking two months to collectively fine-tune the material for We Are The Others.

“Never before have we gone as much into detail in writing the songs" Charlotte reports, referring to the multiple writing-session on songs and lyrics in Stockholm, where she was recording her vocals parallel in a second studio with the vocal producers of the Epicentre team around Fredrik Thomander (Scorpions, Backyard Babies).

Already with their previous album “April Rain”, Delain successfully established themselves at the top of a genre, comparable to bands like EVANESCENCE, HIM or UNHEILIG, and of an ever growing and exciting mainstream market of dark tunes DELAIN is now an integral part of. Accordingly, the expectations of the fans and the band itself were pretty high after the critically acclaimed "April Rain" album.

Expectations that DELAIN meet and even surpass with “We Are The Others” as if it were the most natural thing. Thus, the band has long outgrown the niche - Delain have developed and advanced with their new material but on the other hand have remained loyal to their own sound. More details about the recordings in Sweden can be found on the bands studio-video-blog here: http://delain.posterous.com.

At first glance some song titles on We Are The Others may sound mysterious and conspiratorial, but there is a very serious background: The lyrics to the title-track were inspired by the hate-crime against a British girl named Sophie Lancaster in 2007. She and her boyfriend were beaten comatose by a gang of youths, because of their goth looks. Sophie died from her injuries (check also: http://sophielancasterfoundation.com). This tragedy sent shock waves throughout the world. DELAIN’s response to this tragic case is expressed through the song We Are The Others. Charlotte says:

“Sophie’s story hit close to home for us, being part of a subculture ourselves but it’s in no way an individual case; people are discriminated against -all the time- to the point of violence - based on their cultural or ethnic background everywhere. We Are The Others is our own ‘outsiders anthem’ for everybody who, deliberately or not, diverts from the norm. Whether it’s by looking different, acting different, or choosing a different path in life then is expected from you.”

Delain has set “We Are The Others” as the title of its third studio album, due next spring via Roadrunner records. The CD was recorded at various studios in Stockholm, Sweden with producer Jacob Hellner, renowned for his work with Rammstein and Apocalyptica, alongside the Epicentre team of Fredrik Thomander and Anders Wikstrom (Scorpions, Backyard Babies)

The album title was taken from a song by the same name featuring on the album. We Are The Others is an outsiders anthem, for everybody who, deliberately or not, diverts from the norm. Whether it’s by looking different, acting different, or choosing a different path in life then is expected from you. We are the others: “Forget about the norm. Take off your uniform".

In other news, Delain will embark on a European headlining tour in April with support from Trillium, the metal project masterminded by American singer/songwriter Amanda Somerville.

IMG_1180_ck_1.jpg.scaled.1000.jpg

387929_10150597117559535_43033329534_11896318_34352308_n.jpg

Photos by Sandra Ludewig

We are very proud to reveal the cover artwork and track listing of our third studio album We Are The Others. As you might expect from us this album again offers some interesting collaborations, both in musical and visual terms. This record features none less then Fear Factory shouter Burton C Bell as a guest singer, and visual artist Glenn Arthur provided the cover artwork.

Next to the title track We Are The Others, the track listing below also reveals the song "Where Is The Blood" featuring Burton C Bell. We met Burton at the Wacken Open Air festival a year ago and stayed in touch afterwards. When we were working on "Where is The Blood" we didn't hesitate to contact him for cooperation. He's done such an amazing job on the song turning the song into a most violent duet; his exceptional, raw voice fits perfectly to this song!

The cover artwork was created by Glenn Arthur, a California based visual artist whose work is inspired by art nouveau design and steampunk imagery. Charlotte is a big admirer of Glenn’s work and she dedicated multiple blogs to his art. "From the first time I saw his work I've been imagining it as cover artwork; something in the way his work is both esthetically very delicate, but always with a dark undertone, fits our music very well" For the artwork of We Are The Others, we gave Glenn the lyrics to the song as inspiration. We’re incredibly happy with how the cover turned out. For more info on Glenn Arthur, check out his facebook.

We are very proud to have Burton and Glenn aboard on our album!

The releasedate of We Are The Others is yet to be announced, keep checking this website for more news.The first show where we will play our brand new material live will be announced this Monday!

We Are The Others

1. Mother Machine
2. Electricity
3. We Are The Others
4. Milk And Honey
5. Hit Me With Your Best Shot
6. I Want You
7. Where Is The Blood (feat. Burton C. Bell)
8. Generation Me
9. Babylon
10. Are You Done With Me
11. Get The Devil Out Of Me
12. Not Enough

400503_10150708645549535_43033329534_12350867_1190839338_n.jpg

Source

~Jen

The lyrics to the title-track were inspired by the hate-crime against a British girl named Sophie Lancaster in 2007. She and her boyfriend were beaten comatose by a gang of youths, because of their goth looks.

This makes my blood boil, makes me absolutely RAGE inside that people are capable of doing this to other people for something as a stupid reason of looking different, or any other reason. It makes me incredibly sad for Sophie and her boyfriend and anyone else who is subject to such a harrowing degree of ignorance. Fuck.

I'll buy the album just based on the reasoning behind the one song. Any band or performer that tries to tackle this issue is worth my money and gratitude.

harrowing degree of ignorance. QUOTE]

That is an exquisite term, and explains so many of the WTF?!?!? headlines we read.

I honestly believe a certain % of people have ALWAYS had this level of rage against things they do not understand/approve of, but with the instantaneous news cycle we now have, we hear about so much more than we did in the 70's, 80's, or even early 90's.

I love Delain's music and I'm looking forward to the new release immensely.

As far as the album cover... well... as long as the band is happy with the result, that's what matters. :)

"We are the Others" Trailer from Charlotte's blog

Dear bloggies,

Please watch below our tour trailer, it has some nice teasers of new songs! (The images are from our last tour, but the sound is the actual new songs :)) On our upcoming tour we'll be sporting a new stage layout and we'll play you many more new songs from We Are The Others.
I hope to see you on the road this spring!

Love, Charlotte

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x1rAmjJt5E&feature=colike[/ame]

~Jen

Have you every had one of those bands that everyone seemed to just rave about and no matter how hard you try you just don't get it? This band is that for me, I just can't understand why they are liked so well. Circus Maximus was that way for me too. I'm sure I have bands I love that others would say 'how can you like that'. So just a matter of taste I guess. I like chocolate you like strawberry ;-) Just bugs me when I feel I'm missing something that everyone else is getting, over my head I guess. This just seems like nu-metal with some pop on top of it. I'm weird though.

Have you every had one of those bands that everyone seemed to just rave about and no matter how hard you try you just don't get it? This band is that for me, I just can't understand why they are liked so well. Circus Maximus was that way for me too. I'm sure I have bands I love that others would say 'how can you like that'. So just a matter of taste I guess. I like chocolate you like strawberry ;-) Just bugs me when I feel I'm missing something that everyone else is getting, over my head I guess. This just seems like nu-metal with some pop on top of it. I'm weird though.

I certainly understand that about Circus Maximus. I never got why people think they are so great.

Delain is a solid band. Enjoyable in a pop sort of way, tho I can think of better bands. That being said, I couldn't say that I was really feeling the songs in the clip above.

This just seems like nu-metal with some pop on top of it. I'm weird though.

I look at it from the other side; I listen to them and hear Gin Blossoms or Cranberries with some double-kick bass, better guitar, and less self-indulgent angst.

Which is to say, I really dig it, and my wife doesn't run screaming from the room when I play them. My son, on the other hand, really only likes the tracks where Marco sings.

I look at it from the other side; I listen to them and hear Gin Blossoms or Cranberries with some double-kick bass, better guitar, and less self-indulgent angst.

Which is to say, I really dig it, and my wife doesn't run screaming from the room when I play them. My son, on the other hand, really only likes the tracks where Marco sings.

I enjoy older Cranberries (guess there is only older Cranberries) but I can't hear any of it in this band. For me they sound like some of the pop one of my daugthers listens to (the female vocals) and the numetal bands that relied heavily on rhythm based guitars, elongated chords for choruses, and cadence oriented vocals switching from harsh to more melodic (the male vocals). The male vocals style sounds more in that vein than in the more typical metal switching from harsh to melodic styling.

I always find it interesting that there are usually more people that just have to tell you what they don't like about a band, or that they have never liked them at all. What is the purpose? Is anything gained from that at all?

At first glance some song titles on We Are The Others may sound mysterious and conspiratorial, but there is a very serious background: The lyrics to the title-track were inspired by the hate-crime against a British girl named Sophie Lancaster in 2007. She and her boyfriend were beaten comatose by a gang of youths, because of their goth looks. Sophie died from her injuries

~Jen

When I first heard the title, I was going to make some silly, facetious remark about zombies or something, but after reading this (and the linked story), I've realized the depth of the album and it's material. That's just so disturbing. Really looking forward to this album and I love the artwork - and promo shots. This is a must buy.

I always find it interesting that there are usually more people that just have to tell you what they don't like about a band, or that they have never liked them at all. What is the purpose? Is anything gained from that at all?

Just expressing opinion, plenty of other posts here and elsewhere when I discuss the merits of something I like. I enjoy discussing both pros and cons of topics. So sorry to offend you. Just hold your opinion and don't worry about mine, nothing I write should threaten your enjoyment, but if others enjoy discussing both the negatives and the positives of a topic in a mature respectful way, then I see no harm in that, in fact, that is how you learn, and how you get to know something more fully.