Delaypedal with midboost; is there one?

May 12, 2005
Sweden
www.egonaut.se
Im looking for a delay pedal with a built in midboost or EQ for my "live" pedalboard; I did the "two pedals in a looper" thing in the past but it takes up too much space and I need to travel light.

Tech21 has one with a clean boost but if there's one with a midboost it would be awesome!

You could do this with a rackmounted fx unit that is controlled by a midi footcontoller. Program in a different eq along with a delay and assign it to a button.

backwards thinking could help you out

My car stereo and home theater 5.1 receiver only come with bass and treble controlls.

If you lower both the bass and treble you are doing almost the same thing as boosting the mids. By boosting both bass and treble you are cutting the mids. I do it all the time to fine tune different albums and live dvds and it works.

The boss dd20 has global bass and treble controls

My space echo does as well.
Some only have tone knobs or high cuts, but you can still sort of get there with backwards thinking.

backwards thinking could help you out

My car stereo and home theater 5.1 receiver only come with bass and treble controlls.

If you lower both the bass and treble you are doing almost the same thing as boosting the mids. By boosting both bass and treble you are cutting the mids. I do it all the time to fine tune different albums and live dvds and it works.

The boss dd20 has global bass and treble controls

My space echo does as well.
Some only have tone knobs or high cuts, but you can still sort of get there with backwards thinking.

It might seem fine when you're listening to stuff at home or in the car, but if you were going to do it live, you'd need the perceived volume kick you'd get from boosting the mids.
You want to boost the mids on top of what you already have to get that perceived increase in volume.
Maybe what you're saying works, but it certainly wouldn't be as conducive to cutting through the mix as well as boosting mids on top of what you already have.

It might seem fine when you're listening to stuff at home or in the car, but if you were going to do it live, you'd need the perceived volume kick you'd get from boosting the mids.
You want to boost the mids on top of what you already have to get that perceived increase in volume.
Maybe what you're saying works, but it certainly wouldn't be as conducive to cutting through the mix as well as boosting mids on top of what you already have.

cut bass, cut treble, increase output volume, ???, profit

You can use a cocked wah, gives it an intense 1-3k boost depending on the pedal, which will really make your lead playing stick out. I used to do this at band practice.

Well why do you even want to do this???

Well I can imagine it's great for leads.
Before this thread I had never really thought about this idea (since I own a POD X3 anyway, and when I switch to my lead channel, I get a healthy mid boost, slightly more gain and delay) and the ability to do that in one pedal would be somewhat liberating, as it would kill some of the tap dance required to have to hit two stomp box pedals to get that sound.

It requires patching an extra pedal, but there are a handful of delay pedals that have effect loops (not loopers) built in, and I believe on some you can set the loop to only apply to the delayed (wet) sound. It means you have to patch in an actual eq, but it would give you complete shaping over the effect sound. Something like the MXR 10-band EQ (something 18v for headroom) would be excellent for that.

If you want to go spendy, but have goodly quality delay - get the Moog Analog Delay. Sounds awesome, has a loop, built rock solid, but costs a shit ton :zombie:

EDIT: On the cheaper side
Seymour Duncan Deja Vu
Keeley Modded Boss DD-3 (best option I think)
Carl Martin Echotone Delay (still expensive, but awesome quality)

Well I can imagine it's great for leads.
Before this thread I had never really thought about this idea (since I own a POD X3 anyway, and when I switch to my lead channel, I get a healthy mid boost, slightly more gain and delay) and the ability to do that in one pedal would be somewhat liberating, as it would kill some of the tap dance required to have to hit two stomp box pedals to get that sound.

I was asking more because maybe the OP has overlooked something, and we can advise an alternative approach.

I was asking more because maybe the OP has overlooked something, and we can advise an alternative approach.

To make a long story short; I find the GT8 I'm using now a bit too big since we're doing lots of flying to and from festivalgigs.
The airlines here in europe have also started limiting the number of bags you are allowed to check in per gig so a distorsionpedal/delay with boost combo would be perfect for me because then I could bring it in my carry on luggage.

The combo pedal would also save me some footwork switching from rhythm to lead since I use pretty much the same sound for both but with delay/midboost for lead to cut through and have the sound sing more.