Delay pedal with modulation (and shape control)

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Hey guys,

Do you know any delay pedals that have built in modulation and a shape control ? I need something that makes the pitch go up when the modulation kicks in along with the feedback. I tried the Line 6 DL4 this afternoon, but I could only make it modulate the pitch downwards. Anyone? Soundtoys Echoboy has this feature, and i think it is awesome, but I need it on a pedal.

CHeers
Ivan

You looking for the Edge Crystals thing? Octave up on delay repeats?

Strymon Timeline

Eventide Pitchfactor

The Line6 Verbzilla, Behringer RV600 Reverb Machine (Verbzilla clone), Eventide Space and Strymon Bluesky will do this thing as well, but on reverb. I was really really fucking pissed off when I found out that my TimeFactor couldn't do this sort of thing after I had already bought it. Bastards!

You could also get a delay with FX loop built in (like an EHX Memory Boy) and just stick a pitch shifter in the loop of the delay.

There's quite a few plugs that do it (Psychedelay in Guitar Rig notably, and Valhalla Shimmer, but that's a verb again)), but yes the Soundtoys are the best, I think they came up with the effect way back in the day when they (along with Dave Derr of Distressor fame, who worked on the analog side of things) developed the H3000 harmonizer at Eventide. I could be wrong, maybe the AMS units The Edge uses had it too. And/or the TC 2290...

Here's some clips, maybe I've completely misunderstood you...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEOA2gts_C4&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit, that first delay is beautiful as fuck. The effect is really not exactly this one, but yeah, I could use it perfectly on many things too. How much this Strymon costs? I went to their website and it seems it is not being distributed yet. Thanks for showing me that, it will be on my future wish list.

Btw, I think I will go to the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy + EHX Ring Thing route. It is a bit expensive in Brazil (around $850 for both), but I think it will be worth it. This and a Boss PS5 and I am all set for every fx I need live.

Yeah I want that Strymon badly. It has another 11 modes that all sound different. It goes for 450US$ straight from Strymon, I don't think they sell their stuff anywhere else online (except ebay). They sold out of the first batch 'cause the TGP folks jumped on it like flies on a fresh turd, but there will definitely be more coming. Lotsa people selling them like the AxeFX, for a crazy premium.

I think I'd trade my Boss RE-20 and my TimeFactor for the Timeline, even though the Timefactor has dual delays in all modes and the delays can be set to work in series (a feeds b), at the expense of stereo output. It's just not that great sounding to begin with sadly.

I do want the Ring Thing though as well, great pick! Really wanted the Flanger Hoax too but I heard it's noisy and there's no workaround to that. Shame 'cause it is a true through zero analog flanger with quite a bit of fancy twists. Oh well...