Delete and edit

jimbobhickville

Tyrant in Distress
Hello everybody,

I'm going to make a point of getting the delete functions done this weekend so you'll be able to delete things you've added. In the process, I'm going to be making it so you can only edit things you've added. I haven't really run into problems, but as the site has grown I've realized how difficult it would be to manage as time goes on. I'll also add a page with everyone's email addresses (only viewable by us, not the visitors) so you can contact each other if you see an omission or an error.

Once those are done, my next goal is to do duplicate checking (if you add a musician, label, whatever, and it finds an entry in the database already, it will prompt you to see if they are the same thing or just 2 things with the same name). After that, I'm going to follow through on somebody's suggestion (sorry I don't remember who) for a sort of search field when looking up musicians (as you type into the box, it will scroll the list to the first entry that matches what you've typed). This should alleviate some of the tediousness of looking for musicians in that list (it's over 1000 people now). Then, some of the other features I've been promising.

Sorry I haven't been able to finish some of these sooner. Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,
Greg.

you can delete albums and musicians now, but only if you were the one who added them. There isn't any effective way of dealing with deleting instruments and labels because I don't track who added them, so you'll just have to tell me if you accidentally make a duplicate on those.

You can also now only edit things you've added. That should help avoid any future problems, especially as I add a few more people to help out.

Next, I'll work on the contact page with email addresses for y'all, then the duplicate checking, and so on.

Alrighty, I put a "Search" in the lineup edit page. Simply type into the box, and it locates the musician who matches what you're typing. I also went through and cleaned up about 20 or so duplicate musicians. Please be more carefult not to add people who are already there.

Also, I have hidden the instructions on each page so the pages will be shorter (and require less scrolling). Simply click the "Show/Hide Instructions" link to view them. I have added more detailed instructions on every page as well. To hide them again, simply click the link again.

I think my next task will be duplicate checking. Then, I'll do the email addresses page. I'm not sure what all I'll get done today, though.

Please leave feedback on the new features. Do you like 'em, hate 'em, or don't care?

Later,
Greg.

P.S. I will be adding a feature where you can put your opinion on bands and albums you didn't add, but it probably won't be until at least next weekend. I think these maintenance things are more important.

Alrighty, I didn't get the duplicate checking done today, so that'll be my first item for next weekend, unless I get some time between now and then.

I did add a feature where it'll list other bands a musician has been in on the "Current Lineup". It doesn't do it on each individual album because it'd make the page slow down too much (it's a rather complex query). I mean, it doesn't on each album on the band page, but if you go to the actual album, it does. So, that'll help identifying people and other bands they've been in.

Hmm just something I noticed, when trrying to add a track for a album instead of getting the popup for new track I got the popup for "Add album - Show/Hide Instructions".