Demilich re-release and new material

prozak

Cross Inverter
Jul 14, 2002
www.anus.com
Finnish progressive death metal band Demilich, famed for its inscrutable but engaging 1993 release "Nespithe," lives on in the work of its guitarist and drummer in a yet-to-be-named band making slightly more progressive-rock-styled music. In the meantime, its former label, which has paid the band no royalties, has re-released the classic "Nespithe" in a 2004 edition based on the 1997 Repulse Records re-release; while the album confused, mystified and offended most heavy metal fans back in 1993, it is now recognized as one of the classics of the progressive metal genre.

For more information:

http://bbs.anus.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001337

Demilich home page (including free album download):

http://demilich.doesntexist.com/

I never understood the problem with his vocals, at all.

Just to inform: They are done by exhaling, not inhaling like some seem to believe.

Yeah, I was surfing the ANUS boards and came across their singer giving an explanantion.

It sounds weird if I growl tilting down. It works better if I speak in a really deep voice.

And it's a personal thing. I think their music would have benefited from having standard death vocals, considering how effortlessly catchy the guitarwork seems to be.

Well, my jigga, mebbe I jus didn dig wateva at-mo-sphere y'all be hearin up in thurr. Mebbe I likes mah death metal mo' down-to-earth...know wut I'm sayin', dawg? I'm down with the death metal homies keepin' it REAL 24/7, like my homeboys down in Suffocation o Amon Amarth. Y'all feelin whurr I be coming from, brutha?

How much do the vocals really have to do with the end product, anyway? Granted, weak vocals are annoying, but I generally listen to the guitars/drums more than the texture of the voice...

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
But it fits Demilich and that's one of the reasons why they're unique :)
Yeah I was just going to say that the vocals have to fit the music style and I think Demilich's vocals fit perfectly with the odd riffs and atmosphere of the rest of the band.

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
Haha.

If it had normal death vox it would almost blow.

I disagree that it would blow or even almost blow with different vocals, because so much is based on the riffs. Saying that though, the vocals do add a great deal to the band's sound in my opinion.

About this re-release album though - is it still distributed by this same label that ripped the band off? I saw the album for sale in a shop, but aside from the fact that i couldn't be bothered to buy it seeing as I downloaded it ligitimately, I wasn't sure whether the original label are still earning off this re-release, or whether the band themselves now get any financial benefit from its continued sale.

If the band are still not gettinf financial credit for it and the orignal scamming label are, then everyone should avoid buying it and just download it still.

Calling Demilich a "progressive death metal" band does a grave disservice to the real progressive death metal bands; Opeth and Farmakon to name just a few.

Far be it from me to label Demilich as bad, but I will say for myself that if I want to hear someone gargling, I'll go to the dentist.

heliotrope said:
Calling Demilich a "progressive death metal" band does a grave disservice to the real progressive death metal bands; Opeth
So Opeth take metal riffs and acoustic riffs, throw them in a blender to make songs and they are progressive......but Demilich who have very unique riffs and riff structures and sound like no other band aren't?

:wave: you're a moron

heliotrope said:
Calling Demilich a "progressive death metal" band does a grave disservice to the real progressive death metal bands; Opeth and Farmakon to name just a few.

Far be it from me to label Demilich as bad, but I will say for myself that if I want to hear someone gargling, I'll go to the dentist.
Opeth is mocked, deservedly, by real prog bands and fans.

What's Farmakon like? Hopefully not the same pointless crap as Opeth and Arcturus.